The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Had a chance to think about it a bit and the worst case scenario may be upon Titans fans.

At this point it doesn't matter who is to blame. The QB is always to blame. So let's say they decide Marcus is not the answer. I've seen this scenario play out before, not only here but around the league. What happens next? We get another QB who probably isn't very good which means we continue to suck. We get another coaching staff 2 year from now, a new GM, etc. Which means a new offensive scheme, a new defensive scheme, etc. This is the cycle of suck that some orgs can never get out of and I'm afraid we're now looking at another 10 years of ineptitude. At least the new jerseys are kind of cool.

Overreaction?
About right?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Not sure how you put 11 sacks and a lack nerves in your hand on Mariota but sure let's go with it.

Not sure if that's a reaction to my post or not but definitely not what I implied. My implication is simply if the team decides to move on from Mariota where do we go. Because at the end of the day someone is going to get blamed and it's always easiest to blame the QB. Doesn't mean I believe he's the root cause.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If I'm public enemy number one this week because I'm a Chargers fan, so be it, but I don't exactly sense a lot of optimism from the fans to begin with.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not sure how you put 11 sacks and a lack nerves in your hand on Mariota but sure let's go with it.
Well, some of it was him running into the sack. He has to learn to move in the pocket not just escape it. He also has to learn to get rid of the ball on time, he held it way too long a lot yesterday and in the replays there were receivers open, he just didn't see them fwiw.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, some of it was him running into the sack. He has to learn to move in the pocket not just escape it. He also has to learn to get rid of the ball on time, he held it way too long a lot yesterday and in the replays there were receivers open, he just didn't see them fwiw.
If you give up 11 sacks it ain't just because your QB is holding on too long or running into sacks.

Frankly I think their game plan is horrible. Mariota isn't Drew Brees, especially with a screwed up hand. The fact they can't or won't run the ball to alleviate some of that is rather horrendous.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There are several things i'd like to see change at the moment...

OC on the sideline. He went into the season not sure if he'd be comfortable on the sideline or in the box, tried both in preseason and decided on the box. It might not affect things, but at this point you change up anything you can and it might be a benefit if he's physically on the sideline to go over plays with the players rather than just radioing down to position coaches.

Run the ball more, including having more sets with both Lewis and Henry in the backfield.

Call more short slants in the passing game. If they want to emulate the Patriots, they need to start by using the short passing game as a supplement to the run game. Losing Walker doesn't even affect this too much since they ran him on routes deeper than the typical TE anyway.

I don't think any of these are drastic, but even drastic changes wouldn't be uncalled for right now since there's basically no way this offense is scoring a touchdown with the current philosophy.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
so many things were bad, I don't know where you start to criticize.

pass blocking the offensive line was just flat out terrible. we never figured out their defensive scheme of who was rushing when they put 7 guys in the box and 4 different ones rushed each time. confused the crap out of the blocking assignments. and they never got close to adapating.

marcus wasn't good. as trig said he got gun shy and happy feet in the pocket after getting sacked so often early. he held the ball far too long many times and other times actually just got happy feet and ran into more sacks.

receivers couldn't get open against a straight man to man since the ravens simply played press coverage every down knowing mariotta wasn't going to have time.

henry. I had such high hopes. but he simply isn't working out well right now. guys simply go low on him and he has trouble making the quick cut. never seen a big back with more negative carries. of course part of that is on the offensive line

offensive play calling. where were the screens and draws to try to slow down the rush that was killing us?

we couldn't get off the field on third down. any third down. they killed the linebackers all day in man coverage underneath. they killed the corners on deep outs. we had zero pressure on any passing attempt. none.

not sure I have seen a worse game, even the 50 pointer allowed to the Pats a few years ago. we never even threatened to score a point

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Had a chance to think about it a bit and the worst case scenario may be upon Titans fans.

At this point it doesn't matter who is to blame. The QB is always to blame. So let's say they decide Marcus is not the answer. I've seen this scenario play out before, not only here but around the league. What happens next? We get another QB who probably isn't very good which means we continue to suck. We get another coaching staff 2 year from now, a new GM, etc. Which means a new offensive scheme, a new defensive scheme, etc. This is the cycle of suck that some orgs can never get out of and I'm afraid we're now looking at another 10 years of ineptitude. At least the new jerseys are kind of cool.

Overreaction?
About right?
Actually I think they resign him which could also be a mistake by keeping a mediocre QB.

Reactions: Montross

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
If I'm public enemy number one this week because I'm a Chargers fan, so be it, but I don't exactly sense a lot of optimism from the fans to begin with.
Isn’t the Titans like 1-12 vs the Chargers since 1994?

Also I admire your loyalty for sticking with them after the move to LA. I still vomit in my mouth trying to say “Hamilton Predators”

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Actually I think they resign him which could also be a mistake by keeping a mediocre QB.

Isn't there a club option for next season? He curencurr makes $7M per season and if the club takes the option year, he will be paid $20M next season.

So I think there's actually some chance that they elect not to take the option and let him leave to free agency. I couldn't put a % chance on it, but I'd have to think that the longer the team plays like this the high it goes. And it might not be Mariota's fault, but what good sense would it make to pay him that much money if the entire team is going to be a joke?

I'm not sure what the plan would be without him, but that's a whole lot of money to spend on someone that you don't have confidence in to lead the team to something better. Or course I'd the season turns around and he delivers some good performances, then maybe it's easier to bring him back.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Admirals play in Ontario tonight. My wife was there a week ago. The taxi driver took her to the old airport. They use that as a set for TV shows and movies. Friday night's game is at SD. She was there a few months ago. Bad timing on her part.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
i would highly bet that there would be a few. cool springs brewery opens at 8:20
Thanks, needing something more on the East to North side of town. I've checked websites of a couple of places but nothing says they'll be open specifically. I'd think McNamara's Pub in Donelson would be open, seems right up their alley!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Thanks, needing something more on the East to North side of town. I've checked websites of a couple of places but nothing says they'll be open specifically. I'd think McNamara's Pub in Donelson would be open, seems right up their alley!
I'll be sure to show up in my Chargers jersey and be welcomed with open arms.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

This is a real tough spot for the team. I personally see it as a massive lose-lose situation. I think Mariota is what he is; a wildly inconsistent QB who struggles throwing to half of the field. And that's not even counting his struggles to stay healthy. So do the Titans pony up and pay him megabucks to be the starter of this team and risk continued mediocrity over the next several years? Or do they cut bait and start over yet again trying to find a true franchise QB? Whatever side you come down on it is hard not to be bummed about the future of the team.

So saying this I imagine Mariota will throw for 300 yards and 4 TDs this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad