The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What is the difference between the baseball and NBA rule? I know in baseball you can be drafted out of HS but if you go to college you're basically stuck for 3 years ( I believe).

Is that enforced on the baseball side or some agreement between baseball and college? I certainly understand the one and done deal is NBA driven but the NCAA could certainly make scholarship/graduation changes that would penalize schools so heavily that it would put an end to the obvious one and done signees. (At least I assume they could)

I'm not sure who came up with the baseball rule (probably colleges because they already lose a lot of good recruits to the draft every year) but there's even a loophole for baseball. If you don't want to sign right out of high school you can just go to junior college and get drafted the next year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm not sure who came up with the baseball rule (probably colleges because they already lose a lot of good recruits to the draft every year) but there's even a loophole for baseball. If you don't want to sign right out of high school you can just go to junior college and get drafted the next year.
Yeah baseball players who get drafted don't sign and re-enter the draft all the time. If they get picked low they'll just go right back in the draft thinking they'll go higher after playing in college.....or for whatever reason. Maybe they just want to go to college so they decline the contract.

But I think baseball is fairly simple. If you get drafted out of HS, you either sign and can't go to college, or you go to college and have to wait until your junior year is over to get drafted again. I think.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
But I think baseball is fairly simple. If you get drafted out of HS, you either sign and can't go to college, or you go to college and have to wait until your junior year is over to get drafted again. I think.

Well no, like I said you can forgo going to a 4 year school and go to junior college and be eligible for the draft the next year. Like say a Vanderbilt recruit got drafted this year but didn't get offered enough money but they really don't want to wait 3 years to get drafted again, they could say no to Vanderbilt go to say Walters State and be eligible for the 2019 draft.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Well no, like I said you can forgo going to a 4 year school and go to junior college and be eligible for the draft the next year. Like say a Vanderbilt recruit got drafted this year but didn't get offered enough money but they really don't want to wait 3 years to get drafted again, they could say no to Vanderbilt go to say Walters State and be eligible for the 2019 draft.
Well yeah true, I was just thinking of a typical 4-year school, as would be the case in basketball and football. My team, the Padres, has a decent player who was drafted out of a junior college, and I'm guessing that's what he did.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I honestly don't know why more kids don't do that. Especially pitchers. Most college coaches are more than willing to blow their arms out as long as they win a few extra games per year.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
With baseball you can go out of HS or if you go to college you are there for 3 years or until you turn 21. That’s how you see some JUCO or regular college sophomores go pro.

I think a similar model for the nba could work but maybe make it a 2 year deal.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
With baseball you can go out of HS or if you go to college you are there for 3 years or until you turn 21. That’s how you see some JUCO or regular college sophomores go pro.

But that's not how it works. JUCO you can go after a year. Hell, Bryce Harper got his GED at 16, played JUCO and got drafted at 17.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

I think that would just encourage guys skipping college altogether. I don't think NBA teams would draft guys playing juco. NBA prospects technically have the option that hockey players do, and that's to play overseas instead of college, which is what Auston Matthews did

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I think that would just encourage guys skipping college altogether. I don't think NBA teams would draft guys playing juco. NBA prospects technically have the option that hockey players do, and that's to play overseas instead of college, which is what Auston Matthews did

As a fan I’d much rather them just skip college than play one year and bolt.

I believe they could go to the nba d league in lieu of overseas.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
As a fan I’d much rather them just skip college than play one year and bolt.

I believe they could go to the nba d league in lieu of overseas.

Of course the reason the nba enacted 1 and done is too many drafted high schoolers crapped out. They aren't going to go back to that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Of course the reason the nba enacted 1 and done is too many drafted high schoolers crapped out. They aren't going to go back to that.
Is it any different than one year of college then crapping out? I can’t even watch college basketball anymore because I don’t know any of the players since the good ones only play one year.

Ideally it would be similar to baseball drafted out of HS or after 3 years of college. The biggest difference in baseball is the minor league development system. You can sign out of high school and ride the bus through the Carolina League or play for a college and get an education in case baseball doesn’t work out. The problem with college is that it’s not a full ride for baseball and the debt of student loans. In basketball it would be. The NBA needs to improve the Development Leagues and have them be a true farm system.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I dont know if is helping the NBA avoid duds or not. They still tend to draft on potential once you get past the top 5 picks or so.

We will know better if Jerred Vanderbilt gets drafted. He missed almost the entire season at Kentucky and yet decided to stay in the draft. If he goes in round 1 then he might as well hav been drafted out of high school for all that we learned in a few college games

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Connor Kaiser for Vanderbilt today
7AB 5H 3R 10RBI 3HR his last AB should have been an infield hit but was scored as an error on the 2nd basemen and Vanderbilt makes it’s 7th Super Regional (equal to sweet 16) in 9 years winning 19 to 6.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Connor Kaiser for Vanderbilt today
7AB 5H 3R 10RBI 3HR his last AB should have been an infield hit but was scored as an error on the 2nd basemen and Vanderbilt makes it’s 7th Super Regional (equal to sweet 16) in 9 years winning 19 to 6.

My Bulldogs will keep him in check next weekend

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

I think most pitchers do go straight to the minors.
There's a change going in in baseball. soon teams will be loaded with 2 inning pitchers. Using 5 pitchers per game will be the norm

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
At 7th overall, my Padres just drafted a HS pitcher from Tennessee who's committed to Vandy. Yeah, that'll end well for us.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
At 7th overall, my Padres just drafted a HS pitcher from Tennessee who's committed to Vandy. Yeah, that'll end well for us.
He may be the best pitcher from the state of Tennessee ever. Most teams don’t draft that high without knowing the kid will sign. I would love him at Vanderbilt but 5 or 6 million dollars can go a lonnnng way.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He may be the best pitcher from the state of Tennessee ever. Most teams don’t draft that high without knowing the kid will sign. I would love him at Vanderbilt but 5 or 6 million dollars can go a lonnnng way.
His dad was a major leaguer for 19 years so hopefully, for my sake, it's deemed that signing an MLB contract is the way to go

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
His dad was a major leaguer for 19 years so hopefully, for my sake, it's deemed that signing an MLB contract is the way to go
It’s a double edged sword though. It’s not like his family needs the money like some kids either. I see him signing with SD but Corbin can be a fantastic teacher for 3 years.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Everyone drafted in the 1st 10 rounds signs. Unless they find something with his elbow or something and try to renegotiate with a lower number, he's going to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad