OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
So an all SEC CWS final.... Vandy advances by forfeit but I'm guessing they would have won anyway...

Hope @jumb0 doesnt forget his picks for NPPG final... that Friday game he was going to lasted until 2AM...

All good my man. Still out here in Omaha and will get my picks in today.

HAIL STATE

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So an all SEC CWS final.... Vandy advances by forfeit but I'm guessing they would have won anyway...

Hope @jumb0 doesnt forget his picks for NPPG final... that Friday game he was going to lasted until 2AM...
I think that's why NC State wasn't throwing a fit about it. He knew he would basically need a miracle to even compete let alone win with whatever roster he could piece together.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Now for something completely different. Final hole at the PDGA Pro Worlds yesterday in Utah. The player in the lead (Paul McBeth) with one hole to go has a $10,000,000 ten year contract with his top sponsor alone. Take time to watch the entire final hole. If this does not make ESPN Sportscenter's #1 of the week something is wrong.

I have never played Disc Golf, but there is a course about 1/2 mile from my house.

I counted about 5 seconds in the air for the one guy's shot. Just wow!

Reactions: FossilFndr

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Vandy with a chance to win the CWS tonight after doubling up MISS St in Game 1 last night. 6pm ? on ESPN

That first inning screwed us. We outplayed Vandy the rest of the way but the damage was done.
Looking forward to evening it up tonight.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Vandy with a chance to win the CWS tonight after getting blown out by MISS St in Game 2 last night. 6pm ? on ESPN2

I think you mean Mississippi State with a chance to win the CWS tonight after blowing out Vandy in Game 2 last night.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Y

You guys have some really good players. Loved the hackers approach at the plate and aggressive base running. They played a very clean game. Beat Notre Dame the same way. The pitchers and centerfielder were really fun to watch

Appreciate it. I thought Lemonis (our coach) did an amazing job coaching the series…maybe outside of starting McLeod in game 1 but you take away that first inning and the games were not even close.

It’s been a long time coming for Mississippi State baseball to win a natty and I am not ashamed to say that, despite what Tom Hanks said, I was teary eyed standing in TD Ameritrade on Wednesday night.

Jul 12, 2007
These finals were kinda like the recent basketball finals. The team with less star power put it all together and played the 2 games of their lives. Nothing wrong with that.
It’s the old saying - “ya gotta play / win on the field, not on paper”.
And Vandy still gets huge kudos for waltzing right on through to the finals, twice in a row. Still dominant. Probably be there again next year.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Going to the Nashville SC game tomorrow! I've never been to a pro soccer game so interested to see what it's like.
It's fun! There's a cheering section very reminiscent of early 303 days, lots of energy and enthusiasm and wearing blue and gold. I haven't been since before the pandemic and only went to Nissan a couple of times (it was still minor league and at the ball field then)

Corner kicks are good if it's your team, bad if it isn't. They do fall down a lot. Extra time is weird. I've watched the game for years and I still can't figure out how they determine how much penalty time will be added on or where you look to find out how much you're talking about. There are a lot of ties.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Extra time is weird. I've watched the game for years and I still can't figure out how they determine how much penalty time will be added on or where you look to find out how much you're talking about. There are a lot of ties.

Since the clock never stops the 4th official keeps a rough idea of how much time is spent with any stoppages due to injury, substitutions or any thing else that stops plays and then they tack it on at the end of each half.

Soccer games are a lot of fun. Haven’t been able to make a Nashville SC game yet but I did grab tickets for the USMNT World Cup qualifier in September

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Since the clock never stops the 4th official keeps a rough idea of how much time is spent with any stoppages due to injury, substitutions or any thing else that stops plays and then they tack it on at the end of each half.

They also use the referee board, if anyone is looking to find out how much time there is. Usually in the game you'd see the board displaying two numbers in red and green to signal player substitutions, but they also use the board at the end of halfs to display how much stoppage time remains.

Substitution...

s-l300.jpg

Extra Time...

article-0-068C007F000005DC-407_306x423.jpg

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Soccer games are a lot of fun. Haven’t been able to make a Nashville SC game yet but I did grab tickets for the USMNT World Cup qualifier in September
I do understand that concept, I just find it baffling. I look at the stat sheet and it's not like you can add and subtract penalties and what have you and come up with anything resembling the numbers they come up with. If one side has 14 penalties and the other side has 3 (I'm just making up numbers, obviously) but one was a red card and someone lays on the field for 5 minutes how do you reconcile all that? And why don't they at least tell the audience how much time is left in the game? You don't know whether it's 90 + 1 or 90 + 7! I need to know when to worry, people!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
They also use the referee board, if anyone is looking to find out how much time there is. Usually in the game you'd see the board displaying two numbers in red and green to signal player substitutions, but they also use the board at the end of halfs to display how much stoppage time remains.

Substitution...

s-l300.jpg

Extra Time...

article-0-068C007F000005DC-407_306x423.jpg

Ah, thanks, that helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad