OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Saw some STAY signs as they announced him on stage. I hope there's a way to hang on to him a little longer. Would be a shame.
Same here...but Kawhi doesn't strike me as the type to get swayed from doing what HE wants to do.

I think this season was all about coming to Toronto and winning a championship.

Mission accomplished.

I think he's got another goal in mind now...so I think he's moving on for sure.

And you know what???

That's fine with me

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I see 1+1 (player option) as the likeliest of scenarios. This way Kawhi hits 10 years of service and could sign another max deal at 35% of the cap later.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean even his uncle (agent) was holding up his hand "five more years!" with Kyle Lowry... i certainly dont think his mind is made up lol
His uncle has also been telling everyone that they better enjoy Kawhi this year because he's gone after this year.

He's caught up in the emotion - i'll be absolutely floored if he re-signs.

i honest to god believe Kawhi and his group are simply going to try and maybe ask the Raptors "look ...im not craaaazy about a 5 year commitment, its no secret id like to go back home one day... so how bout a 2, 3 year deal instead?", however something like that goes with a franchise is to be determined tho lol

This whole "max deal" business is kind of blowing up in the NBA's faces (or it will soon) as its nearing the semblance that its MAX DEAL OR NO DEAL for some of these players...and a lot arent even top 10 top 20 players in the NBA..

The parade has been something to behold tho, definitely one of the most special ive seen in quite some time, it reminds me of the 2004 Red Sox parade when they had THREE MILLION people there.
Career wise...the best thing he could do is sign a 1yr + player option deal (1+1).

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
His uncle has also been telling everyone that they better enjoy Kawhi this year because he's gone after this year.

He's caught up in the emotion - i'll be absolutely floored if he re-signs.

Career wise...the best thing he could do is sign a 1yr + player option deal (1+1).

Id argue Career wise the best thing he can do is sign a Max deal of 5 years 190 million dollars lol.

Head to La when hes 32 and spend his remaining years close to home
I cant imagine nobody offers him 4 years 140 mill when he becomes a free agent again, If Chris Paul can get THAT much cash at that age with 0 championships, Kawhi will be just fine to make another super deal at 32, no problem

Thats what would be best for his career honestly, again thinking like an Agent that is. but again his agent is his uncle, so he might not think this way at all lol.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Id argue Career wise the best thing he can do is sign a Max deal of 5 years 190 million dollars lol.

Head to La when hes 32 and spend his remaining years close to home
I cant imagine nobody offers him 4 years 140 mill when he becomes a free agent again, If Chris Paul can get THAT much cash at that age with 0 championships, Kawhi will be just fine to make another super deal at 32, no problem

Thats what would be best for his career honestly, again thinking like an Agent that is. but again his agent is his uncle, so he might not think this way at all lol.
lol well played...

I just meant within the context of Leonard wanting to eventually play closer to home.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Now rumors of weapons and shots fired, police telling crowd and reporters to duck.

Several fans moving about, trying to get out. Lots of crowd movement now.

I hope this doesn't go out of control.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
lol well played...

I just meant within the context of Leonard wanting to eventually play closer to home.

For the fans/followers/bandwagoners

I'd definitely think a 1+1 would be GRAVY tho, considering the odds of him taking the 5 year deal are MUCH lower than the odds are of him walking away this summer (0 year extension) ...so even just ONE more year with Kawhi, is a huuuge win imo, considering what he just helped them accomplish ALREADY.

So considering the odds, thats why I keep thinking the Max deal isnt the solution to this whole thing, it could very well be the 1+1

Whats flown under the radar since nobody wants to think negatively after such a positive accomplishment lol is that next year Lowry, Ibaka and even Gasol (if he doesnt opt out THIS year actually) are on expiring contracts... and they make MOULA... so no matter what, kawhi or no kawhi, theyve got 1 more year left in this window they created basically when they got Lowry all those years ago, because he definitely started this whole party, raptors were a footnote until this PG started making noise out of nowhere, But Lowry is already 33 , its as good as its going to get with him

Reactions: 417

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I see 1+1 (player option) as the likeliest of scenarios. This way Kawhi hits 10 years of service and could sign another max deal at 35% of the cap later.

Right, I would hope and think Kawhis team knows about the 8 year service max and the 10 year service max, and if they angle that direction, thats just fine with me as well, 2 more years of kawhi instead of 0 is more than anyone can hope for right now, because hoping for the 5 year max seems like an exercise in futility at this point unfortunately lol

ArsHabs

Nov 4, 2017
I mean...it's that or sign with the Clippers

He said he didn't want to stay in San Antonio partly because they wanted him to take on a different role, so I don't see him going to the Lakers to play 3rd fiddle to LBJ & AD.

Best move, like you said, sign a 1+1 deal

Yeah, he either stays or goes to the Clippers. I can see the incentive to head west as he’s from there and he’ll have an opportunity to be the guy in LA (Clippers that is) and that team is on the way up.

However, I think Toronto can still make another run next year though it gets dicey once all the contracts run out after this season.

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All's well that ends well, amazing celebration. Well done.

Reactions: Redux91

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
One thing is for sure, Kawhi had a lot of fun with this at the end, trying to tease everybody.

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I was planning to take a couple hours off work today but my friend who is in Nathan Phillips Square right now says the team aren’t even there yet and it’s just jammed packed.

I’ll just watch it on TV. At least it’s nice today.

Edit: They just announced three major subways are shut down now. Too many people downtown.

There was also gunshots in the square that scattered a good amount of people. Just chaos overall.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
There were literally two people shot.
Probably Clippers fans trying to lure Kawhi to LA. :sarcasm:

P.S. I'm only joking about this because it was reported the two hospitalized victims are in stable condition with non life-threatening injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->