OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Congrats to the Raptors and their fans on a historical win for their franchise. I can't confess to being a fan of the team or even a consistent follower for that matter but I couldn't help but be affected by the pure resolve of that group, they never panicked at all. The guy I admire most is Ujiri, that is what you want in a gm, do what it takes to win no matter how tough the decisions are that need to be made!

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hockey30_2019-06-14_%C3%A0_18.01.12.png

djLpgg3.png

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
In the full, uncensored clip, he also grabs his friend by the throat when he tells him to calm down and throws his computer monitor on the floor. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: the valiant effort

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In the full, uncensored clip, he also grabs his friend by the throat when he tells him to calm down and throws his computer monitor on the floor. :laugh:

Some people are really dumb. He's angry because he lost lot of money on the game but he then proceed to destroy his TV and monitor. The value of both of them together is probably around 1 grand ... unless he lost like 1 million on the game then he's stupid.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Where's the outrage for Brett Hull acting like a drunken fool at the Blues parade?

I'm guessing if Drake does the same, it's all too or???

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Canada has been owning the ball against NZ. 2-0 Canada now.

Only interested if Canada ramps up the score and one of their players does a crazed sizzor legs celly.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Today is really a soccer fan's day. U-20 World Cup final, Women's world Cup Canada vs NZ., men's team playing Martinique in the Gold Cup.

Reactions: TRG

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Today is really a soccer fan's day. U-20 World Cup final, Women's world Cup Canada vs NZ., men's team playing Martinique in the Gold Cup.

Watching Canada mens play today is like night and day compared to 3-4 years ago. They got some flare and creativity including two teenage forwards with lots of promise.

There's also lots of sloppiness to the game defensively, but that can be fixed.

Reactions: TRG

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Where's the outrage for Brett Hull acting like a drunken fool at the Blues parade?

I'm guessing if Drake does the same, it's all too or???

Let’s just be stoked that our team won and enjoy the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Nurse is a stud. He's pretty down to earth guy in addition to being a smart coach. His adjustments in the playoffs were huge and were refreshing because Casey struggled at making adjusting during the postseason.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Nurse is a stud. He's pretty down to earth guy in addition to being a smart coach. His adjustments in the playoffs were huge and were refreshing because Casey struggled at making adjusting during the postseason.

What a class act. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: donghabs98

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I know some people like to hate on Toronto in general but the Raptors winning is probably one of the best things to happen to our country in terms of sports for quite some time. Short-term, throughout the playoffs and for a short while after, the retail industry will be very busy moving Raptors gear. I just saw a dude drop $10k at a sports store downtown. It was crazy.

More importantly though, the Raptors winning will stimulate more interest in the sport in Canada. Perhaps major cities like Montreal and perhaps Vancouver again may get clubs, but if even 1% of the 6 to 10 year olds who watched the playoffs and pick up the game after, this could mean more Canadians playing at the NBA-level 10-15 years from now.

Hockey will still be popular, but given the costs of the sports, this is great for those who want to play sports but can’t afford hockey.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know some people like to hate on Toronto in general but the Raptors winning is probably one of the best things to happen to our country in terms of sports for quite some time. Short-term, throughout the playoffs and for a short while after, the retail industry will be very busy moving Raptors gear. I just saw a dude drop $10k at a sports store downtown. It was crazy.

More importantly though, the Raptors winning will stimulate more interest in the sport in Canada. Perhaps major cities like Montreal and perhaps Vancouver again may get clubs, but if even 1% of the 6 to 10 year olds who watched the playoffs and pick up the game after, this could mean more Canadians playing at the NBA-level 10-15 years from now.

Hockey will still be popular, but given the costs of the sports, this is great for those who want to play sports but can’t afford hockey.

The Toronto hate when it comes to sports in general, is hugely driven by Toronto-centric media pretending to provide national coverage.

Also, their coverage of the NBA finals reeked of excess homerism, so much over the top that many of us had to run for cover and watch them on ABC.

The Raptors may be Canada’s team, but their Toronto-based coverage is meant for the most indiscriminate of Torontonians, not the ROC.

Reactions: sandviper

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Toronto hate when it comes to sports in general, is hugely driven by Toronto-centric media pretending to provide national coverage.

Also, their coverage of the NBA finals reeked of excess homerism, so much over the top that many of us had to run for cover and watch them on ABC.

The Raptors may be Canada’s team, but their Toronto-based coverage is meant for the most indiscriminate of Torontonians, not the ROC.

Why would they bend over backwards to provide a better rounded national coverage? It is a well known fact (look up broken down TV ratings for the Raptors run if you like) that the vast majority of their viewership comes from Southern Ontario. That's the core fanbase they're trying to work at and hope to retain going forward. Not the fair weather fan from Saskatoon. I don't see anything wrong with having both SNET and TSN cater to that market more than any other.

To your larger point ("hate" of Toronto)... I also disagree here. I think it comes from the insecurity other fanbases still have when it comes to looking up at the seventh largest metropolitan area in North America. Yes, "theirs" is larger than yours and mine. That won't change any time soon I'm afraid.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why would they bend over backwards to provide a better rounded national coverage? It is a well known fact (look up broken down TV ratings for the Raptors run if you like) that the vast majority of their viewership comes from Southern Ontario. That's the core fanbase they're trying to work at and hope to retain going forward. Not the fair weather fan from Saskatoon. I don't see anything wrong with having both SNET and TSN cater to that market more than any other.

To your larger point ("hate" of Toronto)... I also disagree here. I think it comes from the insecurity other fanbases still have when it comes to looking up at the seventh largest metropolitan area in North America. Yes, "theirs" is larger than yours and mine. That won't change any time soon I'm afraid.

I used "hate" only because sandviper used the term in his post. I could have used repellency just as well -- I don't exactly lose sleep over them.

I don't really care about how big Ontario is or Toronto is, I don't value living there on account of their larger population. I'm perfectly comfortable living in Montreal, live and let live. It's not about that.

TSN and Sportsnet are being offered on every Canadian resident's TV package. That doesn't sound to me like an invitation to consume an inordinate amount of Toronto-driven content.

They shouldn't have to "bend over backwards" if they'd only be deriving their revenue from Southern Ontario. If their fan base comes overwhelmingly from there, then perhaps they ought to stop broadcasting beyond Ontario and stop charging users in the ROC for their broadcasts.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I used "hate" only because sandviper used the term in his post. I could have use repellency just as well -- I don't exactly lose sleep over them.

I don't really care about how big Ontario is or Toronto is, I don't value living there on account of their larger population. I'm perfectly comfortable living in Montreal, live and let live. It's not about that.

TSN and Sportsnet are being offered on every Canadian resident's TV package. That doesn't sound to me like an invitation to consume an inordinate amount of Toronto-driven content.

They shouldn't have to "bend over backwards" if they'd only be deriving their revenue from Southern Ontario. If their fan base comes overwhelmingly from there, then perhaps they ought to stop broadcasting beyond Ontario and stop charging users in the ROC for their broadcasts.
My point was that revenues drive coverage. That isn't unique to SNET, TSN or any other national sports network.

ESPN reaches tens of millions of Americans yet do you think their coverage of the Lakers is proportionate to the one of the Grizzlies? Are the Rays talked about as often as the Yankees? The Patriots versus the Titans? Just some random examples above, but those all are driven by the amount of eyeballs in a given TV market. Nothing else is taken into account when it comes to defining

I could also mention NBC and their "national" hockey coverage, but I won't because it's obvious to any hockey fan here.

None of that is fair, but it's the reality we live in. I don't see the need to waste my breath complaining about that fact of life. Especially when none of it really matters all that much. You want options? You can find them rather easily this day and age when it comes to your preferred flavour of sports coverage.

Heck, last night I was watching camel racing on YAS Sports. You wouldn't believe the amount of bias they had against my favorite camel there. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->