OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The East is going to be a bloodbath next year between BOS, TOR (with Kawhi), MIL, PHI, IND and maybe BKN all improving.

I'm most intrigued by PHI. The length that team now has is scary. Granted, they won't go up and down the court like most today's NBA teams, but it they slow the game down and play Horford and Embid for stretches it'll be a nightmare for their opponents to score on. If, and that's a huge if, Simmons develops any sort of jump shot, I'd be tempted to declare them as the best team in the East on (on paper) going into the next season. Too bad keeping Reddick was obviously out of the question given the finances.

Really like Walker with BOS as well. I think it makes them a better team as opposed to having Irving.

Reactions: Gravity

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I like Rose, but he's pulling this out of his rear end. Had Woj said it, it'd be a different story, but the latter has been quiet on the matter.

2+1 can also make sense, depending on how much security Kawhi wants. 2 more years of service is the magical number for him in either case.

Yeah we'll have to see what happens, today was supposed to be the decision too lol
I think Rose is as reliable as it gets however, its not Woj god level but he gets more things right

if he gets this right it turns out, I think more people take him seriously, obviously lol

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The East is going to be a bloodbath next year between BOS, TOR (with Kawhi), MIL, PHI, IND and maybe BKN all improving.

I'm most intrigued by PHI. The length that team now has is scary. Granted, they won't go up and down the court like most today's NBA teams, but it they slow the game down and play Horford and Embid for stretches it'll be a nightmare for their opponents to score on. If, and that's a huge if, Simmons develops any sort of jump shot, I'd be tempted to declare them as the best team in the East on (on paper) going into the next season. Too bad keeping Reddick was obviously out of the question given the finances.

Really like Walker with BOS as well. I think it makes them a better team as opposed to having Irving.

Yeah I gotta say im quite tired of hearing Stephen A smith dismiss the east EVERY single chance he gets , its just INGRAINED into his brain that, forever, the western conference will be the strongest conference FOREVER, like..
One could SERIOUSLY argue the east is much stronger than the west right now

I agree on the intrigue with Philly, you're dead on about their length, however ...I still think they were an overall better team with Butler and JJ redick, i think that was their peak, tho they arent going away thats for damn sure, but I dont know whos going to shoot the 3 pointers, Harris and...Embiid? lol...And its like the entire starting 5 are on Max contracts lol, that seriously affects the depth, but they are nevertheless a serious contender in the east youre right, especially if kawhi leaves toronto

I dont know about Boston tho.. well i mean i dont know that they are better with just kemba (whos 29) over the 27 points a game you got from irving AND having horford, Theyre a playoff team, but it smells like a 5 or 6 seed, Indiana has overtaken them methinks
Even the Bucks wont be as strong next year despite everyone going gaga over them and giannis
If Kawhi does indeed return North, the east are in trouble lol

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Redux91 On your BOS point...

I think Walker is the best PG in the East. His closest competition is Kyrie, no doubt, but I prefer Walker myself. While he might lag slightly behind Irving in offensive metrics, he's a better defensive player and he also tracks better in VA/EVA (stats I value personally). But the biggest difference is his personality and durability when compared to Irving. I think he'll thrive in BOS and work very well Tatum.

Yes, Horford is a big loss, but I wouldn't give him the term he signed for elsewhere. It was a bullet the Celtics had to bite IMO.

If you had to rank top teams in the East next

Reactions: Redux91

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Was watching a little tennis earlier. What about that Coco Gauff? I hope she plays Serena. I also saw Miloche, he was playing well.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Was watching a little tennis earlier. What about that Coco Gauff? I hope she plays Serena. I also saw Miloche, he was playing well.
She has a lot of variety in her shots, trading slices when needed, while also having solid topspin on both sides. Great mobility too, not to mention poise and fire in her belly.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
LOL uhhhhh ok there Clippers...calm down...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Gravity and jabes

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The NBA. Where teams turn into contenders in the span of 5 minutes.. I wish Kawhi signed a 1 or 2 year deal with the Raptors to at least defend the title. Leaving a championship team is incredibly sad.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Clippers offer 5 first round picks for Paul George, which OKC accepts and then sign Leonard.

Meanwhile our GM is low balling every decent hockey player. Just f***ing wow

Reactions: groovejuice

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So Leonard's decision was hinging on the clippers getting paul george?

Big punch in the gut for the raptors, but my gut from the start was that he was leaving anyways, and the way he was mobbed and followed by fans in toronto/niagra falls was not going to sit well with him either. I think he could see in the future that he would not have much space to breathe in that city.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But Kawhi was given the keys to the city of Toronto. What now? :sarcasm:

Of course he was moving back home. The sprawling estate he owns there, came calling.

Reactions: Braun

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010

Big punch in the gut for the raptors, but my gut from the start was that he was leaving anyways, and the way he was mobbed and followed by fans in toronto/niagra falls was not going to sit well with him either. I think he could see in the future that he would not have much space to breathe in that city.

I definitely agree with the mobbing part. Dude could NEVER catch a break.

I’m sure you’re aware of the “Kawine and Dine” campaign? Where companies from many sectors (ie: restaurants, car dealerships, etc) were giving Kawhi everything for free if he stayed. His face was plastered every f***ing where.

When Kawhi went to that baseball game, the cameras were on him more than the actual game.

If I were a superstar and I couldn’t get an ice cream with my daughter without getting mobbed, I’d find it real old real fast.

I remember reading about how Lebron would walk into a commercial gym in his hometown for a workout and while everyone knew who he was, everyone let him be and do his stuff. Kawhi walking in a gym in Toronto: everyone would stop their session and pull out their camera.

But yeah, this is Toronto mentality

Reactions: Born in 1909

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
But Kawhi was given the keys to the city of Toronto. What now? :sarcasm:

Of course he was moving back home. The sprawling estate he owns there, came calling.
Damn mercenaries :laugh:

Know everyone will be crying about this one but he came, he conquered, he left which is what his contract allowed him to do, gone home to be around family with another chance to win another championship

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I doubt that mattered much. He wants to the main man of a team but he also wanted to be warm. I knew he wasn't coming back even though he could have been the greatest Raptor of all-time.

Maybe he thinks the Clippers are better than Toronto. They could be with George. But the funny thing is.. Toronto won because Golden State fell into severe injury problems to their second and third best player. But Toronto still had the best chance of getting back to the finals.

I'd be shocked if the Clippers ever make a final. The west is so competitive.

The thought of Toronto possibly losing Marner and Kawhi make me very, very happy :D
Most Habs fans are Raptor fans..

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Thought he'd stay but he doesn't owe Toronto anything. It's sad for the fans but he earned the right to do what he wants.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The thought of Toronto possibly losing Marner and Kawhi make me very, very happy :D

To each their own, but this quite sucks as a Raptors fan myself. I don’t blame Kawhi but I am still disappointed.

For me, (likely) losing out on Aho and losing Kawhi hasn’t been a great start to summer as a sports fan.

Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
To each their own, but this quite sucks as a Raptors fan myself. I don’t blame Kawhi but I am still disappointed.

For me, (likely) losing out on Aho and losing Kawhi hasn’t been a great start to summer as a sports fan.
You could not have portrayed my feelings any better. Call it a punch and a knockout punch

Reactions: sandviper

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal

Not a Toronto team sports fan so, yeah, I’m happy. I don’t buy into the whole “Canada’s team” thing.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Best one night stand ever. Sucks but he'll always be a legend in Toronto . At least he's not a laker.

Don't know if I'll watch much basketball next year. Raptors are gonna blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad