OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Watching the US open here and there. Really awesome to see just how much tennis has evolved in Canada. We're a powerhouse now.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Not the best tennis by Andreescu today, but she still managed to overpower (literally, with her forehand & serve) Flipkens relatively easily.

Reactions: DangerDave

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From the Department of Stuff that should never happen and Can't be explained. Damn, I feel for the guy. RIP.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Women's draw of the US Open is certainly shaping up to be fun. 9 of the top 11 ranked players (unofficially, as of today) are still alive.

That said, if Bianca wins today she won't have face a seeded opponent in the next round.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Women's draw of the US Open is certainly shaping up to be fun. 9 of the top 11 ranked players (unofficially, as of today) are still alive.

That said, if Bianca wins today she won't have face a seeded opponent in the next round.
Going to be a tough match but she should be able to take it today. Wozniacki is no joke though.

Hopefully Shapovalov can pull through too but I feel like Monfils will take it.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Going to be a tough match but she should be able to take it today. Wozniacki is no joke though.
I haven't been paying much attention to Wozniacki for a few years, so not sure where her game is at right now. She was a very good defensive player, but I'm not sure she can hang with Bianca right now.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I am cautiously optimistic about Bianca's shot a long run at the US Open. I think she can make it far but women's tennis is unpredictable... I don't want to get my hopes up.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I am cautiously optimistic about Bianca's shot a long run at the US Open. I think she can make it far but women's tennis is unpredictable... I don't want to get my hopes up.
Unpredictable is putting it lightly. I watched the first set of Halep/Townsend match on Thursday and turned it off given the ass-whopping Halep was dishing out. WTF happened after that I have no clue. :laugh:

Reactions: ThaDevilGirl

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I can see her making it to the quarter finals, she's got great momentum right now. She'll have to hit winners against Wozniacki early though, you don't want to just trade with her .

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I can see her making it to the quarter finals, she's got great momentum right now. She'll have to hit winners against Wozniacki early though, you don't want to just trade with her .
Outside of Woznniacki there's only one other seeded player in Bianca's quarter of the draw (Martens)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Woznniacki has tons of court experience which could play in her favour; that said, Bianca's got this but in 3 sets.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Sad news today as Antoine Hubert, a French pilot, died in a Formula 2 race accident

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Bianca has that "it" factor that all the top players seem to possess.

When the elite players have lulls in their match, they dig themselves out just in time, rather than imploding all the way to a loss. The way she deals with in match diversity is top class material.

Against wozniacki, she was up 3-0 in the 2nd set, but Caroline broke back twice, and tied it up at 3-3. That's a stage where lesser players lose control, and lose the set, but bianca responded by winning 3 of the next 4 games to close out the match.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Bianca has that "it" factor that all the top players seem to possess.

When the elite players have lulls in their match, they dig themselves out just in time, rather than imploding all the way to a loss. The way she deals with in match diversity is top class material.

Against wozniacki, she was up 3-0 in the 2nd set, but Caroline broke back twice, and tied it up at 3-3. That's a stage where lesser players lose control, and lose the set, but bianca responded by winning 3 of the next 4 games to close out the match.
She's got an impressive arsenal of shots that helps her out big time in moments like these.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
She's got an impressive arsenal of shots that helps her out big time in moments like these.

She really has the full set of tools, and the key is that her mindset is strong, so she is able to continually use that whole set of tricks.

She trusts her game well enough that she will continue to mix things up even if a certain aspect of her game is not working for the time being.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Part of the reasons that make Bianca so endearing. Her reaction is priceless.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I haven't been paying much attention to Wozniacki for a few years, so not sure where her game is at right now. She was a very good defensive player, but I'm not sure she can hang with Bianca right now.
Shes faded but still a challenge. Bianca is just incredible right now though. Great match. Shes top 5 at the moment in my opinion

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Shes faded but still a challenge. Bianca is just incredible right now though. Great match. Shes top 5 at the moment in my opinion
I'm not going to rank her for now, but I do know that Vegas currently has her only behind Serena as far as favourites to win the tournament go. I don't know if I buy her in second, but IMO she's in the top group along with Williams, Osaka and Svitolina.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Anyone watching Monfils - Shapovalov?

Denis hasn't had a good year on ATP tour and is looking like he's about to fall apart early into the 4th set.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is unquestionably the worst I've ever seen Shapovalov play. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad