OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's a testament to how much Sanchez's value has dropped in the last 2-3 years. The recurring blister issues in particular really cost him.

No it's not. It's a testament to how awful the Jays GM is. That guy is a clown. Sanchez is having a lot of trouble but at least he used to be good. Finished 7th in Cy voting 3 years ago. Fisher is Charles Hudon level. Both are about the same age there's 1 year of age difference.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
well at least now that they have no pitchers left, if you walk in downtown Toronto and a scout sees you, you might get a chance to pitch a game for the blue jays
Our ace that is Trent Thornton disagrees! :sarcasm:

Atkins is such a great evaluator of talent, I'm willing to go to war for him!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
well at least now that they have no pitchers left, if you walk in downtown Toronto and a scout sees you, you might get a chance to pitch a game for the blue jays

This is maybe the worst bullpen in MLB history. You would have a hard time finding one worse. Maybe if you got back to the 19th century.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Our ace that is Trent Thornton disagrees! :sarcasm:

Atkins is such a great evaluator of talent, I'm willing to go to war for him!

WTH is going on? Even Houle made more sense than this. Was he serious when he said that? Brito is almost 27 and he was not batting for 200 in career when the season started. Give him another 6 years of development and he'll outstanding near his retirement.

I once said Vidro was the perfect example of why you must be patient with kids. But Vidro was 24 when he had his first good season. For god sake according to the Jays you are still a prospect after you turned 26 years old. Yeah late bloomer is a thing but gosh ...

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Terrible trade deadline aside, the Jays have instantly become a lot more fun to watch with Bichette playing.

Damn, the kid has an exceptional bat speed & control. He's the one prospect I've been watching closely for the last few years and his swing mechanics are night and day from where they were in 2017. He has sacrificed his ability to pull and lift the ball in order to balance his swing though. If he manages to find a way to strike a good balance between control and ability to lift the ball I'm confident he'll become one of the best SS in the majors. Defensively, I don't care about his average range metrics because his instincts and ability to read plays make up for that plenty.

Love Bichette and am not surprised at all he's off to a torrid start in the majors. When you combine his talent, fire and work ethic he projects as a near perfect player in my eyes.

I've only ever bought one named Jays jersey, but his is going to be my second one.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Terrible trade deadline aside, the Jays have instantly become a lot more fun to watch with Bichette playing.

Damn, the kid has an exceptional bat speed & control. He's the one prospect I've been watching closely for the last few years and his swing mechanics are night and day from where they were in 2017. He has sacrificed his ability to pull and lift the ball in order to balance his swing though. If he manages to find a way to strike a good balance between control and ability to lift the ball I'm confident he'll become one of the best SS in the majors. Defensively, I don't care about his average range metrics because his instincts and ability to read plays make up for that plenty.

Love Bichette and am not surprised at all he's off to a torrid start in the majors. When you combine his talent, fire and work ethic he projects as a near perfect player in my eyes.

I've only ever bought one named Jays jersey, but his is going to be my second one.
I get a chuckle out of seeing Bo play because his old man was such a juiced up big power hitter type and here's his tiny, very athletic son :laugh: . I agree, in a lot of ways his upside is even greater than Vladdy's.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I get a chuckle out of seeing Bo play because his old man was such a juiced up big power hitter type and here's his tiny, very athletic son :laugh: . I agree, in a lot of ways his upside is even greater than Vladdy's.

I was afraid to go there at risk of being flamed. :laugh:

But, yes, I like Bichette better than Vladdy Jr. Much better actually.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I like Bichette fine but listen

I will always love me a big dumb dinger machine

That's exactly where the defining difference when it comes to people liking one over the other. Personally, I don't value power as much as most do these days. That said, I'm not trying to argue that it's all that Vladdy Jr. has in his arsenal. That'd be idiotic to do. I think he will be excellent at hitting for average as well.

Me preferring Bichette has a lot more to do with his athleticism, the premium of his position and, much more importantly, his personality and ability to continue improving by hard work alone.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
That's exactly where the defining difference when it comes to people liking one over the other. Personally, I don't value power as much as most do these days. That said, I'm not trying to argue that it's all that Vladdy Jr. has in his arsenal. That'd be idiotic to do. I think he will be excellent at hitting for average as well.

Me preferring Bichette has a lot more to do with his athleticism, the premium of his position and, much more importantly, his personality and ability to continue improving by hard work alone.

oh yeah i'm mostly kidding, Vladdy is not gonna be JUST that he's better than that, but man that big bat tho

he just hit one like... now too :laugh:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
By upside I mostly meant all around, old school five tool type of a ball player. Vladdy will probably be the flashier, bigger impact player of the two.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Monstrous slash line for Bichette (.407/.467/.667) after first 6 games. He's been hitting everything, especially after he was put at leadoff.

Of course it's a very small sample size and it won't continue, but I'm thrilled he's having early success in the majors. It'll be interesting to see how he handles his first dry spell when that comes inevitably.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
And, of course, Sanchez threw a 6 no-hit innings in his HOU debut.

Stroman didn't fare in his first Mets start lasting 4.1 innnings and allowing 3 earned runs.

And Derek Fisher left tonight's Jays game with an injury after whiffing on a fly ball.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.36.48 AM.png

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A future Netflix series: the kid who stopped playing baseball after high school 5 years ago, posts a video of him popping 94mph fastballs. Billy Beane took notice and just signed the 23-year old.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He might as well have remembered how the Montreal Expos had also selected him:

Just a few years later, Montreal drafted another catcher from Northern California, making Tom Brady an 18th-round choice before he decided to stick with football. “I could have ruined the history of the NFL,” former Expos scout John Hughes said with a chuckle, considering what might have been had Brady chosen baseball.

Reactions: OldCraig71

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Bichette with two XBH (2B, HR) tonight. His 9 XBH in 8 games are the most of all time for an MLB player to begin his career.

Has a double in 6 straight games which is one back of the all time record (again, to start MLB career).

On the flip side he has now been charged with 4 errors in his last two games.

And Fisher (0-3, 2K) caught a fly ball tonight! :bow:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Just a few years later, Montreal drafted another catcher from Northern California, making Tom Brady an 18th-round choice before he decided to stick with football. “I could have ruined the history of the NFL,” former Expos scout John Hughes said with a chuckle, considering what might have been had Brady chosen baseball.

Excellent post good sir.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

I like him way more as a Montreal Expos honestly, he's the bane of my existence in the NFL :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad