OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I believe Leonard never had any intention of signing in Toronto. He knew it the day he was traded and nothing that happened changed his mind. Toronto were simply used as leverage to get the Clippers to sweeten the deal by acquiring George. If the Clippers had have balked then Leonard would have signed with the Lakers. He was never going to choose Toronto.
The thing is , the core in Toronto is pretty old

Gasol , Ibaka and Lowry are all coming in the last year. 2 of them will atleast be gone. Thats why Kawhi tried to get PG to Toronto. But paying 4 1st pick and Siakam + VanVleet was just plaint stupid.

If the Clippers dont win anything in the next 5 years , It will be a disaster for the franchise.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Is there another sport where one player makes the difference between being a championship worthy team vs. becoming a bottom halfer?

Maybe the NFL if you don't have a top QB? Thing about the NBA is how players like Leonard can jump to another roster like the wind by forcing a target team to trade for their friends. How the hell is a team supposed to build a longer term championship roster with this kind of capriciousness?

Leonard wins an NBA championship which is a rare enough feat and leaves the team with whom he did with it and who on conceivably had a good chance of a repeat if he had stuck around.

I honestly had a lot of question marks with Leonard when Toronto traded DeRozan. I do think a lot of fans felt almost immediately that this was an extended rental as the consensus was Kawhi was always going to leave. As fate would have it, he stuck with us for the season and basically was instrumental in the championship run.

End of the day, he exercised his right as a UFA. I’m disappointed for sure, but I’m not really mad at him. He going to have it good in LA. I mean, it’s home for him, nicer weather and he and Paul George are going to be ridiculous for LA... and they’d better be given the cost to get both players.

I mean, football needs a great quarterback but I think no sport is like basketball where one player can tip the game so much. I think losing Kawhi is going to hurt a lot but I suppose we’ll have to see if the team now decides to build around Siakam. This year I think they will be ok; playoff bound I feel, but not sure they will make it deep. It’s next summer where things get interesting as all their remaining core players are essentially on contract years.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I honestly had a lot of question marks with Leonard when Toronto traded DeRozan. I do think a lot of fans felt almost immediately that this was an extended rental as the consensus was Kawhi was always going to leave. As fate would have it, he stuck with us for the season and basically was instrumental in the championship run.

End of the day, he exercised his right as a UFA. I’m disappointed for sure, but I’m not really mad at him. He going to have it good in LA. I mean, it’s home for him, nicer weather and he and Paul George are going to be ridiculous for LA... and they’d better be given the cost to get both players.

I mean, football needs a great quarterback but I think no sport is like basketball where one player can tip the game so much. I think losing Kawhi is going to hurt a lot but I suppose we’ll have to see if the team now decides to build around Siakam. This year I think they will be ok; playoff bound I feel, but not sure they will make it deep. It’s next summer where things get interesting as all their remaining core players are essentially on contract years.

Are the Raps even going to try and add someone? How do you begin to even fill a giant void like that?

Wondering what they could do to give themselves a chance with the current core -- who could they add and at what price?

Kawai literally was given the keys to the city -- and apparently left them in the recycling bin.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hmmmm Bucks yes, sixers got weaker, seriously boston??? you realise they lose 2 mega pieces. Pacers depending on the injuries and same for nets.

Philly isn't weaker as they are much better defensively with the additions of Horford and Richardson. Losing Butler stings but Redick is a defensive liabilty that the Raptors **** all over.

This is likely the longest starting 5 in NBA history and will be a beast in the playoffs if they can stay healthy. They are built to beat Milwaukee as Antetokounmpo will have a tough time finding room inside.

Feels gross defending the Sixers as I hate the franchise but I am just dealing with the truth.

Toronto is likely a 5-8 seed in the East.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Are the Raps even going to try and add someone? How do you begin to even fill a giant void like that?

Wondering what they could do to give themselves a chance with the current core -- who could they add and at what price?

Kawai literally was given the keys to the city -- and apparently left them in the recycling bin.

Raptors are already over the cap so I’m not sure if they’re going to be able to add easily. Blowing it up looks bad from an optics perspective as they just won a championship.

IMO, they should just stay the course as they are good enough To make the playoffs. Going to have to see how the season unfolds if they are to consider any moves.

In terms of being handed the keys, looking at it from Leonard’s perspective; Green was leaving and major core players are UFAs after this season. I guess if Leonard commits long term, it could be a challenge to assemble the group needed. I know he wanted Paul Green in Toronto also, but the price was too high and I’m actually glad they didn’t do it.

Reactions: ArsHabs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I don't blame Kawhi for wanting to head home. The part that annoys me is that we never really had a shot and I get the impression he sort of played it off like we did.

The Raps were used as leverage for OKC to get more from the Clippers while the Raptors hands were completely tied because Kawhi wouldn't even guarantee Masai he would stay even if they somehow landed Paul George. I feel that's a bit disrespectful to organization that did everything in its power to comfort him and try to make him feel at home.

Either way, Masai will have this team back in contention in a few years if he stays that long. He is that good imo.

The NBA is a bit weird, the Raptors don't have any cap space to make additions now, so it will be either stay the course with what they have, rebuild or try to make more deals to get back into contention. I think they will ride it out this year as they are still a playoff team without Kawhi and have roughly 100 million coming off the books next year.

Reactions: Ed Wood and Gains

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Philly isn't weaker as they are much better defensively with the additions of Horford and Richardson. Losing Butler stings but Redick is a defensive liabilty that the Raptors **** all over.

This is likely the longest starting 5 in NBA history and will be a beast in the playoffs if they can stay healthy. They are built to beat Milwaukee as Antetokounmpo will have a tough time finding room inside.

Feels gross defending the Sixers as I hate the franchise but I am just dealing with the truth.

The only question with the Sixers is going to be their ability to score from the outside on a consistent basis.

But I'm with you on their length and defensive acumen. That team is going to be a nightmare to score on from the inside and forget about second chance opportunities. It is interesting on how they basically went against the current NBA trend this off-season. I'm curious to see whether it pays off for them in the end.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't blame Kawhi for wanting to head home. The part that annoys me is that we never really had a shot and I get the impression he sort of played it off like we did.

The Raps were used as leverage for OKC to get more from the Clippers while the Raptors hands were completely tied because Kawhi wouldn't even guarantee Masai he would stay even if they somehow landed Paul George. I feel that's a bit disrespectful to organization that did everything in its power to comfort him and try to make him feel at home.

Either way, Masai will have this team back in contention in a few years if he stays that long. He is that good imo.

The NBA is a bit weird, the Raptors don't have any cap space to make additions now, so it will be either stay the course with what they have, rebuild or try to make more deals to get back into contention. I think they will ride it out this year as they are still a playoff team without Kawhi and have roughly 100 million coming off the books next year.

I don't get why the Raps don't have cap space this year, with Kawki off the books. Why only next year?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't get why the Raps don't have cap space this year, with Kawki off the books. Why only next year?

They would have been well over the cap and into luxury tax with Kawhi. Picking up Gasol at the end of last season is the reason that they are up against the cap.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
The Clippers' GM : "Kawhi wanted to be a part player". I'll be watching the Clippers in 2020 when I can't sleep at night! Basically Kawhi didn't wanted to support the whole team by himself anymore, I can understand. I started playing CT in fs2 thanks to him!

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
In early to mid 90's All Japan they would barely fake the various suplexes, dude would be landing on their heads left and right. Them guys were downright nuts. Look at any old Kawada vs Misawa match, them actively trying to kill each other for real would have looked barely different.
tiger-driver-91-o.gif

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

And that's why I see them a 3-4 seed. With mil and phil better and that is it at this moment .

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
That was an awesome battle but Vlad Jr. just expended a lot of energy and it's not even the finals. Will just make the finals a little bit closer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad