OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This is unlikely to happen since they're in two different parts of the draw. They basically can only meet in the finals. Besides, Williams is dire now and will get destroyed by Barty if she even beats her current opponent (Suarez-Navarro). I also think Gauff will lose to Halep in her next match.

Milos is so boring.... too bad FAA lost.

Normally I would agree, but I saw more fight in him this time, maybe he's maturing. Funny things can happen in individual sports, and Gauff is on an incredible roll. Simona could be in for a shock. Serena is Serena, not an easy out.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Fair enough, I just assumed. Just like a lot of Habs fans are Blue Jays fans (by default, I know they used to be Expo fans).

Hahaha, funny thing with my family. My dad and I were always Blue Jays and Canadiens fans. My uncle and his son was always Maple Leafs and Expos. So strange how that works.
I don't watch baseball much anymore since the Expos left. I rooted for the Blue Jays when they went to the World Series back-to-back, but only when they were in the World Series, and mainly because my cousin was a huge fan. In general I like more the National League because I don't like the DH - but like I said I'm pretty out of touch. Also I root against the Yankees.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Fair enough, I just assumed. Just like a lot of Habs fans are Blue Jays fans (by default, I know they used to be Expo fans).

Hahaha, funny thing with my family. My dad and I were always Blue Jays and Canadiens fans. My uncle and his son was always Maple Leafs and Expos. So strange how that works.

I’ll just say most Habs fans are just Habs fans and don’t follow any other sport, not even hockey. Instead, they hold on to ridiculous “city” hate.

Not all of course, I know some here are Raptors and Jays fans, as well as fans of other teams and sports.

Can’t speak for everyone but all the Habs fans I personally know here (like 4) are all Raptors fans. Sadly for us, the rest of our Raptors friends are Leafs fans, but we won’t hold that against them on our basketball nights.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Most habs fans couldn't care less about the Raptors.

That's not true at all, and most are also Blue Jay fans as well. Same goes for most Montrealers not just Habs fans. Usually the only ones who aren't fans are the ones with an unreasonable hate for Toronto. You know who I mean, those who are part of that ridiculous minor political faction that lives in Quebec .

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This year, the Raptors were 17--5 without Kawhi in the lineup...
They will be very competitive, but not a championship team.
Ya they will win some games but that's pretty much it. 2 years ago I think they won 60 games or close to and still got swept in the playoffs.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don't know, without Leonard and/or DeRozan...they are definitely going to drop significantly down the standings I would expect...
The east is weak. Philly got weaker, NJ stronger when Durant is healthy, but that might be 10 month from now.
Mil lost a few pieces, but still good.
The raptors, are still among the top teams, though no longer the top team

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
No way. Bucks, Sixers, Celtics, Pacers are better now and probably even Nets.
Hmmmm Bucks yes, sixers got weaker, seriously boston??? you realise they lose 2 mega pieces. Pacers depending on the injuries and same for nets.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Most habs fans couldn't care less about the Raptors.

Unless Raptors are bound for greatness. With Kawai gone I don't expect interest momentum to carry to next season.

Regular season NBA and Raptors games were barely broadcasted before last season on French sports channels. October to April is all about the Habs in Montreal.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Idk why
but most habs fan rather have the Impact or the Alouettes who both total abomination

Nba is such a beauty to watch

Are you kidding me? I'd rather have any of the 4 major sports over MLS or CFL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Toronto is still a playoff team but I think most sensible fans probably understand at this time they are probably on the bottom half in the conference contenders.

Is there another sport where one player makes the difference between being a championship worthy team vs. becoming a bottom halfer?

Maybe the NFL if you don't have a top QB? Thing about the NBA is how players like Leonard can jump to another roster like the wind by forcing a target team to trade for his friends. How the hell is a team supposed to build a longer term championship roster with this kind of capriciousness?

Leonard wins an NBA championship which is a rare enough feat and leaves the team with whom he did with it and who conceivably had a good chance of a repeat if he had stuck around.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I believe Leonard never had any intention of signing in Toronto. He knew it the day he was traded and nothing that happened changed his mind. Toronto were simply used as leverage to get the Clippers to sweeten the deal by acquiring George. If the Clippers had have balked then Leonard would have signed with the Lakers. He was never going to choose Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->