OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
To get the extra 40 million.
If he's after every last dime he can make, he'd be better off signing short term (1-2 years) and then getting a new max/supermax deal. Yes, he'd sacrifice some security, but, since maximum term of a contract is only 4-5 years, not very much.

In the NBA, just like in the NHL, max/supermax deals are tied to percentage of the cap. And the cap in the NBA has been increasing like crazy. The difference between the two leagues is that NBA stars get max deals routinely, where as we haven't seen it happen in the NHL yet.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If he's after every last dime he can make, he'd be better off signing short term (1-2 years) and then getting a new max/supermax deal. Yes, he'd sacrifice some security, but, since maximum term of a contract is only 4-5 years, not very much.

In the NBA, just like in the NHL, max/supermax deals are tied to percentage of the cap. And the cap in the NBA has been increasing like crazy. The difference between the two leagues is that NBA stars get max deals routinely, where as we haven't seen it happen in the NHL yet.
Well, yeah. You have a star in the NBA and chances are you'll at least make the playoffs.

You have the best player in the world in the NHL, and you're still a lottery team. The NBA relies way more on the stars since they play about 75% or more of each game.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Is anyone else watching the NBA draft? If so, do you think Kabengele and Dort have a shot at being taken in the first round still?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

The difference is also the revenue the NBA generate and the progression of those revenue, also in the NBA you need 2 great players be a good team and 3 make you a legit contender so that why the top player will get the max.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It appears that the Tampa Bay Rays are negotiating with MLB and a group in Montreal to play the majority of their home games next season in Montreal.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can't believe Bob McCown did his last PTS yesterday. Damn, it's as profound of a loss as I've ever felt when it comes to a sports personality.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Was Bob fired or is he retiring? I loved listening to that guy.
He is definitely not retiring, at least according to his tweets:

I also have a hard time believing he was fired considering he ran the most popular sports talk radio show in all of Canada for the last 30 odd years.

The most logical explanation to me at least is that he quit. But that is only a speculation on my part.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Championship merch has arrived!

Attachments

• 20190627_164413.jpg
    20190627_164413.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Can we get the London Series mentioned in the title?

They did an amazing job putting together a baseball field in a soccer stadium. They showed a time lapse that represented three weeks of assembling materials.

The score is through the roof in today's game.

And to top it all off, The Freeze just lost to a random guy!!! Can't believe they brought The Freeze to London. They've spared no details.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It appears that the Tampa Bay Rays are negotiating with MLB and a group in Montreal to play the majority of their home games next season in Montreal.

One thing I know for sure, is that if I was a player, there's no way I'd sign up to become a ray of I had the choice, given the uncertainty involved.

And it's an even bigger no, if this proposal somehow comes to fruition. It just throws so many curveballs to a player's personal life that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Theyre saying Kevin Durant to the Nets confirmed, WOW

all year long they said durant and kyrie going to new york.... just NOBODY ever thought it would be BROOKLYN lol wow.

Im certainly glad he left golden state tho, god damn

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Rose: '99% my sources tell me' Kawhi will return to Toronto

With the basketball world all on pause waiting to hear where Kawhi Leonard will play next season, ESPN's Jalen Rose says according to his sources, there's a 99% chance he returns to Toronto on a two-year deal.

Seems a lot of us got it right , if its true lol, but he might of very well gone for the 1+1, and then get the supermax after his lil stay in toronto and go off to LA, the raps window of contention is only about two more years longer anyway

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Toronto residents are so freaking corny stalking Kawhi. Get a life FFS, trying to catch a glimpse of the guy.

I get that he does seem enlightened, but to be that obsessed over another human is some seriously pathetic behaviour.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Toronto residents are so freaking corny stalking Kawhi. Get a life FFS, trying to catch a glimpse of the guy.

I get that he does seem enlightened, but to be that obsessed over another human is some seriously pathetic behaviour.

Picture montreal trading for sidney crosby
picture sidney crosby winning the cup in montreal
picture sidney crosby is a free agent and is landing in MTL to maybe sign a contract to stay

Now how do you think that all plays out with the "people"

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Picture montreal trading for sidney crosby
picture sidney crosby winning the cup in montreal
picture sidney crosby is a free agent and is landing in MTL to maybe sign a contract to stay

Now how do you think that all plays out with the "people"
I think they should get a life lmao, it was such a nice day in Toronto today and people are trying to creep on the man. Like grown men behaving like little girls do for their teen idols, some real clownery.

I don't deny Montrealers might do the same. They'd be clowns too.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think they should get a life lmao, it was such a nice day in Toronto today and people are trying to creep on the man. Like grown men behaving like little girls do for their teen idols, some real clownery.

I don't deny Montrealers might do the same. They'd be clowns too.

Well, i think youre overblowing it a bit, the medias coverage was intense for sure, thats their job

but the "people", i mean..its downtown toronto bud.... millions of people... i dont know if you expect the place to be a ghost town..and NOBODY is allowed on the streets because kawhi is in town...

Everybody was just there, enjoying the beautiful day because they, you know, live there lol, kawhi so happens to pop up, whos a celebrity , MORe then that even now, and yeah, i can see people hearing a bit of commotion and want to see whats up..

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Well, i think youre overblowing it a bit, the medias coverage was intense for sure, thats their job

but the "people", i mean..its downtown toronto bud.... millions of people... i dont know if you expect the place to be a ghost town..and NOBODY is allowed on the streets because kawhi is in town...

Everybody was just there, enjoying the beautiful day because they, you know, live there lol, kawhi so happens to pop up, whos a celebrity , MORe then that even now, and yeah, i can see people hearing a bit of commotion and want to see whats up..
Yeah maybe it's just the news. They're reporting random civilians claiming they might have seen him. Like what lmao. How is that news?

I don't know, maybe he enjoys the amount of fanfare. Hopefully he stays otherwise the people trying to pree him are gonna be on suicide watch.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Rose: '99% my sources tell me' Kawhi will return to Toronto

With the basketball world all on pause waiting to hear where Kawhi Leonard will play next season, ESPN's Jalen Rose says according to his sources, there's a 99% chance he returns to Toronto on a two-year deal.

Seems a lot of us got it right , if its true lol, but he might of very well gone for the 1+1, and then get the supermax after his lil stay in toronto and go off to LA, the raps window of contention is only about two more years longer anyway
I like Rose, but he's pulling this out of his rear end. Had Woj said it, it'd be a different story, but the latter has been quiet on the matter.

2+1 can also make sense, depending on how much security Kawhi wants. 2 more years of service is the magical number for him in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->