Value of: The other Granlund to EDM

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
Seems like Nashville/their fans aren't really happy with the other Granlund. Given it only took them Fiala to get him, I wonder what their ask will be for him, given he isn't as good as expected.

He would be a nice addition to the Oilers top 6, even if he doesn't come back to his Minnesota level of play. Drai could center his own line playing with him, while McDavid plays with Neal (I still think Neal will bounce back and score around 60P this season)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Have you even given this trade idea any real thought? Oilers don't have the cap. And the Preds are trying to win now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We don’t have the cap space to get him for futures and we don’t have the roster to get him for players. All we could really offer are picks and a cap dump and in this draft class I don’t think giving up our first is a good idea.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think we're remotely interested in trading Granlund. Granted, he was very disappointing for us after the trade last year, but I think we're all ready to accept that there were extenuating circumstances, and the nice thing is he gets a fresh start this year. And the major Theme of the team's moves this off-season was to try to create two balanced scoring lines. Granlund is a big part of that.

If for some reason our team is out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, and Granlund has continued to struggle as a Pred, then ok, he'd pretty much have to be moved. But as of today, it's just not on the table. Especially not for futures. The only remote idea I would come up with would be if after a few months we are filling the net with ease yet our D is struggling to step up after losing Subban - getting an RD like Larsson say might be of interest. Still not today. But at a stretch, somewhere further into the season, that's about all I can see? :dunno:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I don't think we're remotely interested in trading Granlund. Granted, he was very disappointing for us after the trade last year, but I think we're all ready to accept that there were extenuating circumstances, and the nice thing is he gets a fresh start this year. And the major Theme of the team's moves this off-season was to try to create two balanced scoring lines. Granlund is a big part of that.

You played him in the 3rd line doing dump and chase with no powerplay. You also had the worst halfwall PP player in the league last year (RyJo) on the pp1 for the most of that time.

He is about controlled zone entries and passing to primary scoring threats. Top20 PP player in the league before the trade and consitently in top10 first assist guy on 5v5 for years.

The great thing about this is that he ll sign with us on a cheap deal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You played him in the 3rd line doing dump and chase with no powerplay.
The team was in panic mode on the PP by the time he came, but just like Boyle and Simmonds, they all got their chance to try to fix the mess. He played a reasonable 2mins PP per game. And 2nd line, not 3rd. Although our 2nd line was such a mess by that time too it probably only earned 3rd-line-esque minutes. And he was so bad for us that he earned some other experimental shifts elsewhere. But nominally he was on the 2nd line and got a fair look to fix our garbage PP.

But no need to be defensive, nobody is blaming him, we are all very happy to have him and looking toward a bright new season. I think the lines are going to look a LOT better this year and he should fit in very nicely with this fresh start. As long as he delivers as we expect him to, the Preds will be very happy to re-sign him, and not for a cheap deal either, probably more like around 6x$7M.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The team was in panic mode on the PP by the time he came, but just like Boyle and Simmonds, they all got their chance to try to fix the mess. He played a reasonable 2mins PP per game. And 2nd line, not 3rd. Although our 2nd line was such a mess by that time too it probably only earned 3rd-line-esque minutes. And he was so bad for us that he earned some other experimental shifts elsewhere. But nominally he was on the 2nd line and got a fair look to fix our garbage PP.

But no need to be defensive, nobody is blaming him, we are all very happy to have him and looking toward a bright new season. I think the lines are going to look a LOT better this year and he should fit in very nicely with this fresh start. As long as he delivers as we expect him to, the Preds will be very happy to re-sign him, and not for a cheap deal either, probably more like around 6x$7M.

The games i watched he was in the 3rd playing dump and chase. The best possession entry guy in the Wild by far.

You are grossly misusing him, which is great. Please keep it up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund was really good till about Christmas, then tailed off. Boudreau recently let on that he had the same injury that caused another player to miss a month of play.
I definitely think he is due to rebound. He is an excellent puck handler, and has superb vision and passing. He does need a sniper to feed on his line to get the best out of him.

I think his defensive play is overrated, but he's a responsible two way player.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Seems like Nashville/their fans aren't really happy with the other Granlund. Given it only took them Fiala to get him, I wonder what their ask will be for him, given he isn't as good as expected.

He would be a nice addition to the Oilers top 6, even if he doesn't come back to his Minnesota level of play. Drai could center his own line playing with him, while McDavid plays with Neal (I still think Neal will bounce back and score around 60P this season)

Now that is a bold statement!!!

Maybe, and I mean maybe, he gets there playing the whole year with McDavid and 1st PP time.

If he's playing with Nuge for the year...….not a chance in hell.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
We aren't interested in moving Granlund without seeing how he does with a fresh start. He'll get an actual top 6 centerman to start this season in either Johansen or Duchene and hopefully he'll be part of a competent PP.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
The games i watched he was in the 3rd playing dump and chase. The best possession entry guy in the Wild by far.

This is such a weird thing to say. Do you think you've stumbled upon Peter Laviolette on these boards or something?

Anyway, you're completely wrong about his usage. Granlund had more EV time on ice per game than any forward on the Preds except for the top line. He played half a minute less per game than Johansen, who led all forwards. No forward on the Preds had more PP TOI than Granlund after he joined the team, not a single one. He was tried with various linemates because he was bad in Nashville and they tried desperately to "get him going".

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Pretty sure the Granlund the Oilers already have will for ever be known as the Other Granlund

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Granlund was really good till about Christmas, then tailed off. Boudreau recently let on that he had the same injury that caused another player to miss a month of play.
I definitely think he is due to rebound. He is an excellent puck handler, and has superb vision and passing. He does need a sniper to feed on his line to get the best out of him.

Will Forsberg and Duchene do?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Those two sound great. Are they confirmed as Granlund linemates? I thought it would be RyJo/Arvidsson/Forsberg.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is such a weird thing to say. Do you think you've stumbled upon Peter Laviolette on these boards or something?

Anyway, you're completely wrong about his usage. Granlund had more EV time on ice per game than any forward on the Preds except for the top line. He played half a minute less per game than Johansen, who led all forwards. No forward on the Preds had more PP TOI than Granlund after he joined the team, not a single one. He was tried with various linemates because he was bad in Nashville and they tried desperately to "get him going".

boom roasted

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Plenty of capspace to sign him as an UFA next year if that's something that interests the Oilers. Not sure how I feel about yet another left handed winger though...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Neal hasnt had 60pts since 2013-2014 since he was a penguin (now on his 4th team since)

quite a take there

also can see nashville having any interest in this unless they get a similarly capable player. And unless RNH is the offer it doesnt work

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Only one that I can think would make sense for Nashville is Nuge. I'd say thats likely a non-starter for Edmonton tho. It would also likely force another center like RyJo to the wing. Not sure that would work, but hey what the hell.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Only one that I can think would make sense for Nashville is Nuge. I'd say thats likely a non-starter for Edmonton tho. It would also likely force another center like RyJo to the wing. Not sure that would work, but hey what the hell.

Sorry, no interest in moving Granlund for Nuge.

Reactions: preds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I mean so far in the preseason he’s been paired with duchene and it looks like forsberg might end up being the other winger on that line. If he doesn’t produce under those circumstances then I don’t know what Nashville can do to get him jump started

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Wow I would bet my house you weren’t saying his defensive play is overrated when he was on the wild. It’s funny how quickly a fanbase turns on an ex-player.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Well summarized and what a strange place to come grind an axe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->