The "Other" Goalie Thread "No More Space Travel" Edition

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Holmgren opens up about Bryzgalov, goalie situation

Not sure if this interview with Holmgren was posted elsewhere but it was very insightful on a lot of levels..I like how Holmgren describes his business dealings with Snider and Lukko. Says there is a lot of debate....

As far as goaltending though....he does say that the Flyers intend on "insulating" Mason by going with a tandem. It seems somebody like Thomas or Emery would make sense...although Luongo would be nice at a cheaper price obviously.

http://www.csnphilly.com/video_content_type/holmgren-opens-about-bryzgalov-goalie-situation

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
‘Ecstatic’ Mason looks to Emery, Hextall for help

Jeesh...the goaltending thread really got buried. Here is a good article to resurrect it..

Judging by his gleaming-white smile, Steve Mason is the happiest guy in the room.

The goaltender is still weeks away from training camp, yet he’s already describing the NHL offseason — one of the shortest ever, with the lockout pushing the Stanley Cup final to the end of June and the 2014 Winter Games spurring an Oct. 1 start to 2013-14 — as long. With the Philadelphia Flyers missing the postseason cut and the number of Mason’s starts decreasing in each of his five pro campaigns, the 25-year-old is well rested. Some downtime in Punta Cana this summer has only added to the relaxation.

“Now it’s strictly business. Vacation time is over,” says Mason, who went 4-2-0 with a head-turning 1.90 GAA and .944 save percentage in Philly. “Finishing on a strong note was nice, but it also left a sour taste in my mouth.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/its_playoffs_or_bust_for_steve_mason/14279372

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Meltzer's Musings: Leighton's Bittersweet Legacy

I'm sure some posters caught this....it was a good chronology.

Reminded me of some of the events that lead to other events ...

The tidbit about the way Lavi contributed to Bob's improper development really touched a nerve...

Leighton became a permanent scapegoat in Philadelphia sports history after Game 6. He fell in and out of rhythm in regulation, despite making 36 saves on 39 shots, but was no more shaky than Chicago counterpart Niemi. A seesaw regulation saw the Flyers rally back from deficits of 1-0 and 3-2 while also failing to fold a 2-1 lead in between. A pair of goals by Hartnell, sandwiched around Briere's 12th goal of the playoffs, helped send the game to overtime.

Disaster struck at the 4:06 mark of overtime. After Carter was unable to convert a point blank scoring chance that could have sent the series back to Chicago for a deciding seventh game, Patrick Kane scored the Cup-winning goal on Leighton from an impossible angle along the goal line. It was not even immediately obvious that Kane had scored but a brief replay delay was just a formality. The puck momentarily seemed to disappear as the play unfolded live but even a cursory replay showed it had somehow leaked past Leighton near the post and had traveled over the goal line.

Without question, Kane's goal was one of the softest, flukiest and ugliest-looking Cup-winning goals in Stanley Cup history. The onus for that particular goal was entirely on Leighton. However, to place the entire blame for not winning the Cup on Leighton was patently unfair, especially after he had done his part in getting the team to the Finals in the first place.

Rather than seeking a new (and more expensive) starting goaltender for the 2010-11 season, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and upper management decided to re-sign unrestricted free agent Leighton to a two-year contract at a $1.55 million cap hit. The hope was that if the Leighton and Boucher tandem were able to get the team to Finals once, they could do it again.

.....The 2011 playoffs were a goaltending nightmare for the Flyers, and the handling of the goalies in that year's postseason was arguably the most questionable set of decisions that Laviolette has made during his entire Flyers tenure.

Things started out uneventfully enough. Bobrovsky got the nod in Game 1 against Buffalo and played well in a game the Flyers lost 1-0 on a third period goal by Patrick Kaleta. Laviolette made the no-brainer decision to go back to Bobrovsky in Game 2. That's when things started to get weird.

Bobrovsky had a rough first period in Game 2 and was pulled in favor of Boucher. The veteran played well and team won, 7-4. Laviolette decided to stick with Boucher going forward in the series. That decision was understandable in and of itself, but what was really odd was the fact that Bobrovsky was immediately demoted from starter to third-string (healthy scratch) goaltender and Leighton was promoted after spending virtually the entire year in the AHL or the big club's injured reserve list.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53452&blogger_id=45

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think extending Leighton instead of getting a real goalie is the most disastrous thing Homer has done and it's not close. It led directly to Bob being developed improperly. It led directly to the goaltending debacle that led to the Bryzgalov debacle and everything related to that.

At the time, it was very clearly a terribly stupid signing that took the team out of contention. That much was clear. But the far reaching effects...yeesh.

I almost have a stroke when I consider that Homer actually signed the guy to be the backup last year. Practically anybody else would have been better. He had just spent 2 seasons showing he's not an NHL goalie, so Homer immediately signs him to an NHL roster spot. Is Leighton some mafia don's nephew or something?

Edit: And with all that said, it's hilarious that Leighton has been signed by a team before Bryz.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think extending Leighton instead of getting a real goalie is the most disastrous thing Homer has done and it's not close. It led directly to Bob being developed improperly. It led directly to the goaltending debacle that led to the Bryzgalov debacle and everything related to that.

At the time, it was very clearly a terribly stupid signing that took the team out of contention. That much was clear. But the far reaching effects...yeesh.

I almost have a stroke when I consider that Homer actually signed the guy to be the backup last year. Practically anybody else would have been better. He had just spent 2 seasons showing he's not an NHL goalie, so Homer immediately signs him to an NHL roster spot. Is Leighton some mafia don's nephew or something?

Edit: And with all that said, it's hilarious that Leighton has been signed by a team before Bryz.

I thought the same thing....Leighton really was a fly in the ointment that lead to a cascade of problems. Seriously, Holmgren should not get a get out of jail free card on Leighton whatsoever especially after continuing to recycle him like the refuse he was....grr.

BTW..as far as the bolded part.....Leighton is Seighton in my book...

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I thought the same thing....Leighton really was a fly in the ointment that lead to a cascade of problems. Seriously, Holmgren should not get a get out of jail free card on Leighton whatsoever especially after continuing to recycle him like the refuse he was....grr.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any similar mistake by another GM that was so obviously a terrible idea at the time and had such a negative impact in the long-term. It has to rank high as one of the worst moves made by a GM in the last decade.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think extending Leighton instead of getting a real goalie is the most disastrous thing Homer has done and it's not close.

I don't know. The Eminger trade could give it a solid run.

That trade has single-handedly set the course of team's defensive personnel and the desperation to acquire a #1 defenseman for the last half decade.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know. The Eminger trade could give it a solid run.

That trade has single-handedly set the course of team's defensive personnel and the desperation to acquire a #1 defenseman for the last half decade.

So the competition for dumbest move is another move by Homer.

Yay. I'm going to go drink an unhealthy amount of booze now.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well if Bob continues to put up gaudy numbers in his career we can at least stop hearing about Patrick Sharp and how we gave up too soon on him...

oh wait..I see a trend and it's not our friend! :(

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
And he parlayed that into a 6m/yr (almost) deal. For 1 decent season in which he played 38 games.

He basically played 40% of a season.

There is tremendous risk still.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
And he parlayed that into a 6m/yr (almost) deal. For 1 decent season in which he played 38 games.

He basically played 40% of a season.

There is tremendous risk still.

And if he does not play at that, Vezina winning level the Columbus Blue Jackets will most likely be out of the playoff picture.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Unlike Snider and Holmgren with Bryz ...Kekolinen didn't lock up Bob for some ludicrous term.

He got a reasonable bridge contract so not sure how it's going to be some disaster for Columbus if he winds up being an aberration..which I doubt he will be anyway?

As far as the concern about getting a serious injury b/c of his style...I've said the same thing and it's a legit concern. However, Bob is a conditioning fiend and still young so it might be some time before he is more susceptible to an injury that will limit his athleticism. However, a freak injury can never be ruled out.

With Bob the risk factor is reasonable..I think Columbus has mitigated it the best they could and they may reap some huge benefits still.

Columbus may miss the playoffs but they are going to be a pest of a team and won't miss easily...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Unlike Snider and Holmgren with Bryz ...Kekolinen didn't lock up Bob for some ludicrous term.

He got a reasonable bridge contract so not sure how it's going to be some disaster for Columbus if he winds up being an aberration..which I doubt he will be anyway?

As far as the concern about getting a serious injury b/c of his style...I've said the same thing and it's a legit concern. However, Bob is a conditioning fiend and still young so it might be some time before he is more susceptible to an injury that will limit his athleticism. However, a freak injury can never be ruled out.

With Bob the risk factor is reasonable..I think Columbus has mitigated it the best they could and they may reap some huge benefits still.

Columbus may miss the playoffs but they are going to be a pest of a team and won't miss easily...

Its not a long term risk, but if those two years are ugly, it'll be a long two years, at 5.7M he's the starter.

Or he can win 2 more Vezina's and be offered a max contract by the KHL/NHL Team that Columbus can't even come close to matching.

Obviously there is thoughts on both sides of the ball. My main point was that 38 games for Bob in a shortened season really doesn't show how good he is/isn't.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Its not a long term risk, but if those two years are ugly, it'll be a long two years, at 5.7M he's the starter.

Or he can win 2 more Vezina's and be offered a max contract by the KHL/NHL Team that Columbus can't even come close to matching.

Obviously there is thoughts on both sides of the ball. My main point was that 38 games for Bob in a shortened season really doesn't show how good he is/isn't.

This whole "he played 38 games" meme is overblown IMO. It's just people terrified over the fact we botched his development and his situation overall. Even with his stint here all he showed was a tremendous work ethic, talent and professionalism all around so much so that Lavi raved to their coach or owner after they traded him how much Columbus would enjoy him.

Bob has proven way more than what Mason has proven and is not even near the risk healthwise or otherwise that Emery with his hip and Mason with his questionable psyche poses..

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How is it overblown? He's had 1 good season and that season consisted of 38 games.

BTW. I didn't realize that he'll be 25 next month.

Weird, Mason feels like he should be 30, Bobrovsky feels like he should be 22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad