OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Due to my occupation I go to court often enough. People should be horrified at how much they are tracked and also due to their card use, shopping etc. My honest impression is most people just don't even think about it.

Any forensic case now involves revealing all the data that is big brothering you. lol that GPS data can be back tracked. Your "smart" phone basically telling any criminal hacked in where you are at all times.

One of the strangest things is how embedded this is now. People for some reason want remote door locks, keyless locks, and all of which can be hacked. Better hackers can hack right into your house, not only that they can know how many people live there, where they are etc. The hacker could know you are on vacation and just unlock your code door without anybody the wiser. Sometimes its surreptitious as well. They won't actually steal anything or leave anything out of place. They will just then have ALL your information for future use.

Unfortunately I've had clients that do this. People have no idea what is going on.

Stick with key locks, dead bolts deep bolts, steel doors, special bolt frames. I wouldn't get remote locks or keyless locks. I fairly despise that now all vehicles have the remote access fobs. These are hacked easily as well. Most vehicles that don't even have GPS still can be tracked.

Your last comment is the most interesting. Seemingly people have forgotten what importance in sovereignty and otherwise that actual currency is. One step closer to bitcoin lunacy. One step closer to the world falling into another financial chaos (again)

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thank you for the responses. Very interesting.
lol. Seems like I'm in the 'mom' generation now. Stuff like online banking/shopping and paypal just turn me right off. I'm pretty good with computers, so its not that I couldn't do it, I just won't.
This has happened to me as well when I used my credit card at a few businesses in CA. As @joestevens29 said, the bank didn't hold me liable for any of the charges since it was obvious I was no longer even in North America when the card was fraudulently used, but I still had to go through the hassle of getting a replacement card.
This is what I hate the most. 'Irregular pattern of use' ... what a joke. I don't need some financial institution tracking my every purchase and telling me what my spending habits should look like. And of course none of that would be necessary at all if they didn't have to face the issue of so many instances of fraudulent use. I think many people underestimate the extent to which big brother is watching. Why does the bank need to know how and where I go about my business? Its uncomfortable. Doesn't this bother people?
This is the crux of the matter imo. Why are we letting the government push us into a cashless society? I have used ATMs here in Edmonton several times to withdraw cash and not once has it spit out a denomination larger than $20. wtf can you buy with twenty bucks these days. Even a lunch at Earls or wherever is going to cost you fifty at minimum. So one is left with a wallet full of twenties. And some goof screaming 'cash count' when he's faced with seeing more than three or four of them at any one time.
Don't you find that irritating? I mean your actual money is no longer accepted. wtf? I just think we are going to regret the extent to which we have allowed the government and the banks to dictate how we make financial transactions. All in the name of 'convenience' mind you.
it was the one time I actually had cash on me too. Usually when I go to any gym or arena all I'm really taking is my drivers license and some change for a Powerade or something. That time just happened to be one where we had hockey on company time so I had everything with me

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry for all responses but word to the wise. If bringing in anything like Drivers licence or bank cards keep it on your person at all times in your pocket and NOT in your locker.

A drivers licence, credit card, bank card would give an ID theft a hell of a lot to work with. They run wild breaking into Gym, pool, and school lockers. Takes 20 secs and they are in and out.

Gyms are also notorious at not having any monitoring going on. They just seemingly don't care. Of course change rooms/locker rooms are not allowed to be video montitored so there is no monitoring at all.

My pet peeve is people that talk on their cellphones or check cellphones in the changeroom and just sit there for long periods of time playing with their smartphone. I ask what they are doing. Because when thieves are running lockers they usually have somebody stationed around at the ready with a cellphone to alert the others somebody is around. This is the lookout. Besides which Camera use is NOT ALLOWED in any change room. Smart phones are cameras. You are not allowed to use them in a change room for any reason.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Some places you might want to avoid using cash due to corrupt businesses and card scanners. For instance don't use cards for gas in some scam oriented town like Edson. Pay cash only. There used to be countless reports of people having their cards/pins hacked in Edson. That one town was so Crystal Meth corrupted basically every tourist oriented business had staff sneaking in card scammers. Ironically there were points in the not distant past where even a main bank was admitting that cards were routinely hacked and giving umpteen points about how to detect what might be fraudulent debit machines. I've heard a bit less of a problem since chip cards but its always a matter of time before these too are hacked.

But I can't fathom the degree to which people are generally comfortable having NO money. Years ago I was in Vancouver and a similar security problem shutdown my debit card and my visa card. Some criminal in Southgate Mall had placed a debit scammer in a store supposedly without the staff knowing and they then days before proceeded to use my card in 6 different stores in the mall running up a total of 9oo dollars before Bank fraud security placed a stop on the card. Of course when I tried to use the card in Vancouver to pay for gas it immediately registered as a flag because I live in Edmonton. The major bank immediately shut down every card and account access I had. It took days to rectify. If I hadn't had a few hundred in my pocket like I usually travel with I would be completely hooped. I would be basically hitting up an inner city food kitchen to eat. But I also had another credit card (emergency use) to pay for the hotel room or I wasn't getting that either. But there was a limit on that card and the hotel staff waived some of the deposit which they didn't have to do because they believed my description of what had occurred.

Heres the thing. This kind of thing happens OFTEN. I've actually had my card fraudulently used (verified by bank security) on 3 different occasions in my life and each time with the card access being stopped, unknown to me, until I tried to use it.
Generally if your card is scammed and a fraudulent user uses it to make several different purchases within hours in stores that you don't typically go to it will flag with security that it is an irregular pattern. This has even happened to people out Xmas shopping where their card is stopped due to irregular pattern of use at non typical stores.
I’m still a cash guy and I can’t see myself changing anytime soon because of the fear of stories like you’ve mentioned above. I feel naked or vulnerable if I don’t have a couple hundred bucks on me. Cash is my security blanket.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m still a cash guy and I can’t see myself changing anytime soon because of the fear of stories like you’ve mentioned above. I feel naked or vulnerable if I don’t have a couple hundred bucks on me. Cash is my security blanket.

It seems to be a generational thing. But is also connected to a theme of "be prepared" which as a generation we were taught to be. I'm willing to bet you also have an emergency kit in your car at all times. have two different jacks, tools just in case, and a roll of duct tape somewhere which can stop belt leaks and other problems in a pinch. If you're like me you have AMA coverage always, everything insured, and you don't take safety and security for granted.

This is an OT thread so I am permitted to do this. But we grew up watching ourselves. We were not the generation that were driven to school, driven home from school, driven to hockey, football, music lessons. We went everywhere by foot or by bike or by bus, ourselves. We were conditioned to look after ourselves.

I look around and something is missing now.

Heres the response I get most often if I raise this with younger people I know. "Well shit happens, theres nothing I can do" The same people go to sleep with their doors unlocked. With their bike outside unlocked. None of these people have any insurance "because they can't afford it' ;) . But they all have expensive smartphone accounts, tech devices, tablets, which they proceed to charge and use anywhere paying not one heed to online security.

Yeah, shit happens..:)

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

It seems to be a generational thing. But is also connected to a theme of "be prepared" which as a generation we were taught to be. I'm willing to bet you also have an emergency kit in your car at all times. have two different jacks, tools just in case, and a roll of duct tape somewhere which can stop belt leaks and other problems in a pinch. If you're like me you have AMA coverage always, everything insured, and you don't take safety and security for granted.

This is an OT thread so I am permitted to do this. But we grew up watching ourselves. We were not the generation that were driven to school, driven home from school, driven to hockey, football, music lessons. We went everywhere by foot or by bike or by bus, ourselves. We were conditioned to look after ourselves.

I look around and something is missing now.

Heres the response I get most often if I raise this with younger people I know. "Well **** happens, theres nothing I can do" The same people go to sleep with their doors unlocked. With their bike outside unlocked. None of these people have any insurance "because they can't afford it' ;) . But they all have expensive smartphone accounts, tech devices, tablets, which they proceed to charge and use anywhere paying not one heed to online security.

Yeah, **** happens..:)

As far as money goes, from a wayback point of view, I would say first the convenience card replaced the cheque book, then the reward credit card replaced the convenience card and now the tap replacing cash.

And Drivesaitl, definitely some city vs small town differences in your reminiscing. Locking doors/bikes? Taking the bus, other than a school bus? Walking to all your hockey games, what about when your nearest opponents were 16 miles of highway away.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
@harpoon I'll tend to carry a 10 or a 20 at most just in case but yeah usually I don't need to use it. And yeah @Drivesaitl I've had my credit card scammed before. It was taken care of in a few days and the charges all voided so it wasn't a big deal.

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As far as money goes, from a wayback point of view, I would say first the convenience card replaced the cheque book, then the reward credit card replaced the convenience card and now the tap replacing cash.

And Drivesaitl, definitely some city vs small town differences in your reminiscing. Locking doors/bikes? Taking the bus, other than a school bus? Walking to all your hockey games, what about when your nearest opponents were 16 miles of highway away.

To an extent also a different urban/rural component to it. But I'm not making up helicopter parenting which is a more recent phenomenon in the last couple decades. I grew up in an entirely different world. Driving 16miles to a hockey practice. No way my dad would do that. He would say take up a different pastime, heres some knowledge books to read..

Nor was this isolated experience. Parents back then did their own thing which included partying/working hard. Kids were in the seen and not heard world. Back then if you got your parents attention that was usually a bad thing. Kids were certainly not prioritized. Theres both good and bad to either method as the do less parenting approach also fosters independence. My parents did have time and expended effort when it came to education. But anything else you were on your own.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To an extent also a different urban/rural component to it. But I'm not making up helicopter parenting which is a more recent phenomenon in the last couple decades. I grew up in an entirely different world. Driving 16miles to a hockey practice. No way my dad would do that. He would say take up a different pastime, heres some knowledge books to read..

Nor was this isolated experience. Parents back then did their own thing which included partying/working hard. Kids were in the seen and not heard world. Back then if you got your parents attention that was usually a bad thing. Kids were certainly not prioritized. Theres both good and bad to either method as the do less parenting approach also fosters independence. My parents did have time and expended effort when it came to education. But anything else you were on your own.
You live an abnormal life

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
To an extent also a different urban/rural component to it. But I'm not making up helicopter parenting which is a more recent phenomenon in the last couple decades. I grew up in an entirely different world. Driving 16 miles to a hockey practice. No way my dad would do that. He would say take up a different pastime, heres some knowledge books to read..

Nah, we walked to the town barn for practice, but the closest non-home game was 16 miles away for me. And while it wasn't always my parents driving, there were always 3 or 4 cars worth of kids heading out of town back when I was a kid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You live an abnormal life

Not really. I'm a typical first generation child of parents that "had it real hard" (and they did) Such parents expected obedience, immediate listening, every priority should be pragmatic or education focused and standard play was a "waste of time" that they tolerated when you weren't doing chores or errands but sure as hell they weren't going to bend over and drive you somewhere for your passtimes.

In the 60's kids from all over Jasper Place would walk, in the winter, for several miles each way, (cue uphill meme) to go tobogganing on "Government Hill" by the Museum. This, as with any recreation at the time was something you did on your own. If a car stopped to give you a ride back then you were kind of taught to assume they were a pedophile because virtually nobody from our community did that. Although if you lived in more affluent areas things tended to be different. But "war immigrant families" yeah, it was harder knocks. Mostly traumatized parents doing the best they could.

Actually to present day families that immigrate from war torn regions have very similarly strict paradigms. The concept of play, fun, recreation just not being as understood. Priorities being education and the sacred "work for a better life".

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
16 miles that’s how far you driv Damn near every game now in Edmonton

Edmonton is a whole lot bigger now. ;) For instance Southgate used to be the edge of town. In the west end Mayfield road area used to be the figurative last road. Before that 163st. I vaguely remember when the only thing west was CFRN studios which was located well out of town in the middle of nothing.

heh OT means we can talk about these things.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not really. I'm a typical first generation child of parents that "had it real hard" (and they did) Such parents expected obedience, immediate listening, every priority should be pragmatic or education focused and standard play was a "waste of time" that they tolerated when you weren't doing chores or errands but sure as hell they weren't going to bend over and drive you somewhere for your passtimes.

In the 60's kids from all over Jasper Place would walk, in the winter, for several miles each way, (cue uphill meme) to go tobogganing on "Government Hill" by the Museum. This, as with any recreation at the time was something you did on your own. If a car stopped to give you a ride back then you were kind of taught to assume they were a pedophile because virtually nobody from our community did that. Although if you lived in more affluent areas things tended to be different. But "war immigrant families" yeah, it was harder knocks. Mostly traumatized parents doing the best they could.

Actually to present day families that immigrate from war torn regions have very similarly strict paradigms. The concept of play, fun, recreation just not being as understood. Priorities being education and the sacred "work for a better life".
In the 60’s you also wore helmets worried about bombs. It’s 2018

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In the 60’s you also wore helmets worried about bombs. It’s 2018

Damn you, I feel so old.;)

heh

I still wear a helmet. When Cycling..

Yes we had Nuclear bomb drills in Elementary School. Way to give kids nightmares guys. Just so administrators could put it in a policy manual all schools were required to tell kids to hide under their desk in the case of a Nuclear bomb alarm. Hide there until told otherwise that it was "safe" to come out. Even as a 7yr old you kind of knew how hair brained it all was. But you'd get detention and a special meeting with the principle if you mentioned that you saw on Telly that the whole city would be all blown up like Hiroshima..so that the wooden desk probably wouldn't save our souls. Oh and then an old Nun would walk by and slap us with a yardstick for questioning faith and divinity. ;)

We were also supposed to distinguish the tone of the Nuclear raid alarm from the fire alarm which is reminiscent years later in a Fawlty Towers episode where Basis is beseeching the guests to recognize the different tone of alarms. The sum result of which is that every time the fire Alarm went off half the kids would be getting ready to go outside and the other half would be hiding under desks..;)

Yes I realize this is weird if not amusing.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
People for some reason want remote door locks, keyless locks, and all of which can be hacked. Better hackers can hack right into your house, not only that they can know how many people live there, where they are etc.
Keyed locks don't offer much protection at all, hacking probably is more difficlut. Do a search on 'bump keys' and look at some youtube videos. Nearly any conventional keyed lock can be opened in seconds if the bad guy is carrying a bump key for that manufacturer's lockset.

I agree with most of your other comments in this thread, by the way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Other options exist. Inside accessory slide bolts, locking levers that prevent the key operation, replacing the lock, or just having an older lock that would be rare now.

I do agree that some of the newer key locks would be easy enough to get into with a skeleton key. My key lock is pretty picky and so much so that cut keys don't even work half the time and I have to get them recut.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I've got something OT. These Marshalls ads are THE WORST. They literally pop up after every refresh and take up almost half the bloody page. Don't these companies think these things through? I now hate Marshalls lol.

Reactions: TB12 and Beerfish

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Just saw Rick Campanelli in a car commercial and my hair spontaneously turned grey?

Reactions: TB12

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Hi Oilers fans! I am coming to Edmonton this Thursday for the Western Canadian Girls Softball championships with my daughter. Can anyone recommend places to eat, entertainment, shopping, etc. I'd like to get to a sports collectibles store also. Thanks!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Hi Oilers fans! I am coming to Edmonton this Thursday for the Western Canadian Girls Softball championships with my daughter. Can anyone recommend places to eat, entertainment, shopping, etc. I'd like to get to a sports collectibles store also. Thanks!

Also for Sports Collectibles, go see Wayne's Sports Cards and Collectibles across the street from West Edmonton Mall (North of the mall by the Boston Pizza outside). They got everything there and Wayne's a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad