OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
POor raptors. Trade for a guy that already said he doesn't want to go to Toronto and is a free agent in one year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What does HF think of Edmonton's newest piece of public art?
DiU2U8eU8AEBs85.jpg:large
A dog with tits supporting gay pride?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I have no issue with public art. I have a big issue with tax payers paying or it.

Oh, and an awful awful trade by the raptors imo if it is as stated.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Make it to the Conference Semis, fire your coach who won coach of the year and then trade your best player.

I don't really watch basketball, but I feel like the chances of the Raptors bombing next season and Leonard not re-signing have to be pretty considerable.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I have no issue with public art. I have a big issue with tax payers paying or it.

Oh, and an awful awful trade by the raptors imo if it is as stated.

It's interesting because a lot of people think it was a great trade for the Raptors.

I'm too casual of a fan to know any better.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's interesting because a lot of people think it was a great trade for the Raptors.

I'm too casual of a fan to know any better.

Never saw leonard even once that i can recall.

But its like trading a teams best player and two unspectacular 1sts for a rehabing league mvp candidate.

In hockey terms;

Lets say pietrangelo, kyrou and a 1st for erik karlsson?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Never saw leonard even once that i can recall.

But its like trading a teams best player and two unspectacular 1sts for a rehabing league mvp candidate.

In hockey terms;

Lets say pietrangelo, kyrou and a 1st for erik karlsson?

Yeah but Erik Karlsson lets everyone know he has no actual interest in being a Blue and is counting down the days until he hits free agency so he can go play in Tampa in a years time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Toronto fans really are the worst in any sport. Now they have wannabe hooligans setting fire to opponent soccer stadiums. How are these people not in jail for what they did. Imagine if the fire had spread or if this had been old wooden benches instead of aluminum?

Toronto FC soccer fan group triggers blast, ignites fire in the stands at Ottawa Fury game

They should all have been detained.

As a sidenote fireworks are now once again immediately available at any corner store. When did the restriction of sales of these stop?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Yeah but Erik Karlsson lets everyone know he has no actual interest in being a Blue and is counting down the days until he hits free agency so he can go play in Tampa in a years time.

i guess we also have to add that karlsson is a year younger.....and better defensively. ....and also that the blues were a divion leader when they made the trade.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's a polarizing trade. There isn't any middle ground with it.
It sure is and I’m having trouble figuring out what side of it I’m on. I loved Derozan and Casey but I don’t think that team was moving to a higher level with that status quo. If the trade was same number of year of Derozan for same number of years for a committed and healthy Leonard it’d be a huge win for the Raptors.

It’s not though. It may shake down as trading your best player ever for a guy who conceivably might not play at all (after what he did last year in San Antonio). Lots of talk about how if some scenario like that happened, the upside would be all the cap space the team would have heading into next off season. While that would be true, outside of money, there wouldn’t be much left to draw free agents to the team.

Big risk for Ujiri. If things go south, it should cost him his job.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it comes down to how the Raptors do next season. No doubt they got better with Leonard and Green, but both of those guys will likely walk next offseason.

I think they lose the trade. Seems a little silly to give up your best player and fan favorite who is signed for a few more years to basically go all-in in a league where you're wasting your time trying to win a championship unless you're one or two teams.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Quick question if you gentlemen don't mind. How often do you all pay cash for things these days?

Just visiting Edmonton this summer and its been kind of shocking to have the clerk shoving a machine into my face at every transaction point before I've even had time to process the total amount. Debit or credit sir? The other day I bought what I consider to be a medium priced item at a men's wear store and when I took out my wallet to pay, the guy's face blanched and he immediately got on the intercom and shouted 'cash count please'. I swear he started sweating. Two other manager types came to the till and the three of them stood there counting and double counting the money. Then they all had to initial some ledger. This while kind of glowering at me suspiciously for daring to pay in cash and inconvenience their rosy debit/credit world.

Is cash going away in Canada? Sure seems like it. Where I live anyone could walk into a convenience store at any time of day and buy a pack of gum with a $100 bill and nobody would bat an eye. Maybe its just what I've grown accustomed to, but its a system I prefer. Any thoughts?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I barely use cash and I feel I was one of the last hold outs of my group. Suspect the last 3 or 4 times I have taken cash out of a bank ($100) was so I could break it down for a tip for housekeeping in a hotel.

Reactions: harpoon

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Quick question if you gentlemen don't mind. How often do you all pay cash for things these days?

Just visiting Edmonton this summer and its been kind of shocking to have the clerk shoving a machine into my face at every transaction point before I've even had time to process the total amount. Debit or credit sir? The other day I bought what I consider to be a medium priced item at a men's wear store and when I took out my wallet to pay, the guy's face blanched and he immediately got on the intercom and shouted 'cash count please'. I swear he started sweating. Two other manager types came to the till and the three of them stood there counting and double counting the money. Then they all had to initial some ledger. This while kind of glowering at me suspiciously for daring to pay in cash and inconvenience their rosy debit/credit world.

Is cash going away in Canada? Sure seems like it. Where I live anyone could walk into a convenience store at any time of day and buy a pack of gum with a $100 bill and nobody would bat an eye. Maybe its just what I've grown accustomed to, but its a system I prefer. Any thoughts?

I'm a younger dude and almost never pay with cash. If I have a 20 I'll use it for gas or try to use it for something where they won't give me change. I strongly dislike carrying coins

I'll take cash out occasionally for my mom though, she's older and not good with e-transfers and the like

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some places you might want to avoid using cash due to corrupt businesses and card scanners. For instance don't use cards for gas in some scam oriented town like Edson. Pay cash only. There used to be countless reports of people having their cards/pins hacked in Edson. That one town was so Crystal Meth corrupted basically every tourist oriented business had staff sneaking in card scammers. Ironically there were points in the not distant past where even a main bank was admitting that cards were routinely hacked and giving umpteen points about how to detect what might be fraudulent debit machines. I've heard a bit less of a problem since chip cards but its always a matter of time before these too are hacked.

But I can't fathom the degree to which people are generally comfortable having NO money. Years ago I was in Vancouver and a similar security problem shutdown my debit card and my visa card. Some criminal in Southgate Mall had placed a debit scammer in a store supposedly without the staff knowing and they then days before proceeded to use my card in 6 different stores in the mall running up a total of 9oo dollars before Bank fraud security placed a stop on the card. Of course when I tried to use the card in Vancouver to pay for gas it immediately registered as a flag because I live in Edmonton. The major bank immediately shut down every card and account access I had. It took days to rectify. If I hadn't had a few hundred in my pocket like I usually travel with I would be completely hooped. I would be basically hitting up an inner city food kitchen to eat. But I also had another credit card (emergency use) to pay for the hotel room or I wasn't getting that either. But there was a limit on that card and the hotel staff waived some of the deposit which they didn't have to do because they believed my description of what had occurred.

Heres the thing. This kind of thing happens OFTEN. I've actually had my card fraudulently used (verified by bank security) on 3 different occasions in my life and each time with the card access being stopped, unknown to me, until I tried to use it.
Generally if your card is scammed and a fraudulent user uses it to make several different purchases within hours in stores that you don't typically go to it will flag with security that it is an irregular pattern. This has even happened to people out Xmas shopping where their card is stopped due to irregular pattern of use at non typical stores.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm a younger dude and almost never pay with cash. If I have a 20 I'll use it for gas or try to use it for something where they won't give me change. I strongly dislike carrying coins

I'll take cash out occasionally for my mom though, she's older and not good with e-transfers and the like

So read my post and tell me that your bank cards have never had a security stop order. Most people I know at one time or another has had card(s) scammed and their bank card usage stopped. Everybody should have some money on hand, also at home, for emergency use.

People do know as well (I hope) that in the case of a disaster with major power outages that you should keep cash on hand for emergency (or stashed somewhere in house) in case you need it.

Finally, Debit card barcodes sometimes wear down or get demagnetized and no longer scan. What do you do then?

I can't believe people would travel around at all with no back up money.

One more story.

Drove from Revelstoke to Golden. Figured I would get gas just out of Revelstoke at a gas station I knew of. Unbeknownst to me it was closed. I figured no problem, theres one more I know of but it had signs on it saying there was no gas (my lord) they were out of Gas. At that point I was midway between the two towns and hoping not to run out of gas on a dangerous highway and there were not any other gas stations until Golden. I hobbled into Golden probably running on fumes and hit the first station. lol that their debit machines were out. No cash no gas. I had cash. I filled that tank nearly to overflowing..

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Yeah it's extremely dumb to be anywhere with no cash. However, I think the expectation now is that merchants will want most of their transactions in debit/credit. It's more cost effective for them. Debit especially.

The problem with cash is that the government doesn't want you to use it and are trying to get rid of the larger denominations and will keep pushing electronic payments more and more.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So read my post and tell me that your bank cards have never had a security stop order. Most people I know at one time or another has had card(s) scammed and their bank card usage stopped. Everybody should have some money on hand, also at home, for emergency use.

People do know as well (I hope) that in the case of a disaster with major power outages that you should keep cash on hand for emergency (or stashed somewhere in house) in case you need it.

Finally, Debit card barcodes sometimes wear down or get demagnetized and no longer scan. What do you do then?

I can't believe people would travel around at all with no back up money.

One more story.

Drove from Revelstoke to Golden. Figured I would get gas just out of Revelstoke at a gas station I knew of. Unbeknownst to me it was closed. I figured no problem, theres one more I know of but it had signs on it saying there was no gas (my lord) they were out of Gas. At that point I was midway between the two towns and hoping not to run out of gas on a dangerous highway and there were not any other gas stations until Golden. I hobbled into Golden probably running on fumes and hit the first station. lol that their debit machines were out. No cash no gas. I had cash. I filled that tank nearly to overflowing..
Never had an issue once and I don't really care either as the few people I do know that had issues were 100% covered and refunded.

Carry one debit card, one visa and never ran into any issues. Only place you need cash is at a strip club if you are throwing loonies. Or a gumball machine

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah it's extremely dumb to be anywhere with no cash. However, I think the expectation now is that merchants will want most of their transactions in debit/credit. It's more cost effective for them. Debit especially.

The problem with cash is that the government doesn't want you to use it and are trying to get rid of the larger denominations and will keep pushing electronic payments more and more.
I was shocked to see a debit or credit only vending machine a few months back. Had to walk back to the locker room grab my credit card and go back

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I
Never had an issue once and I don't really care either as the few people I do know that had issues were 100% covered and refunded.

Carry one debit card, one visa and never ran into any issues. Only place you need cash is at a strip club if you are throwing loonies. Or a gumball machine

I guess that your debit card, and Visa card are not through the same financial institution. Mine was. Fortunately I had another card for emergency use. Because the one financial institution will put a stop on all your cards.

Plus not sure why its just a "people you know" concern. In Canada its even become common for complete identity theft to occur where people have all your personal information and are ordering cards using your name and credit rating. Card scamming and identity theft are huge concerns. People should be aware of giving out any information or how they use or reveal identity. Cards are one aspect of that.
In the case of identity theft its an absolute horror story that can takes years to correct everything, to uncover everything.

The most ironic thing I ever heard of was that one of the Canadian credit check firms was completely hacked and the identity of around 100K people and all their personal information was possibly hacked. (the firm tried to deny the extent of he hack) So that people checking their rating (for the apparent purpose of double checking credit score were being scammed on this basis) That's like going to a police station and they rob you at gunpoint..

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Thank you for the responses. Very interesting.
lol. Seems like I'm in the 'mom' generation now. Stuff like online banking/shopping and paypal just turn me right off. I'm pretty good with computers, so its not that I couldn't do it, I just won't.
I've heard a bit less of a problem since chip cards but its always a matter of time before these too are hacked.
This has happened to me as well when I used my credit card at a few businesses in CA. As @joestevens29 said, the bank didn't hold me liable for any of the charges since it was obvious I was no longer even in North America when the card was fraudulently used, but I still had to go through the hassle of getting a replacement card.
This has even happened to people out Xmas shopping where their card is stopped due to irregular pattern of use at non typical stores.
This is what I hate the most. 'Irregular pattern of use' ... what a joke. I don't need some financial institution tracking my every purchase and telling me what my spending habits should look like. And of course none of that would be necessary at all if they didn't have to face the issue of so many instances of fraudulent use. I think many people underestimate the extent to which big brother is watching. Why does the bank need to know how and where I go about my business? Its uncomfortable. Doesn't this bother people?
This is the crux of the matter imo. Why are we letting the government push us into a cashless society? I have used ATMs here in Edmonton several times to withdraw cash and not once has it spit out a denomination larger than $20. wtf can you buy with twenty bucks these days. Even a lunch at Earls or wherever is going to cost you fifty at minimum. So one is left with a wallet full of twenties. And some goof screaming 'cash count' when he's faced with seeing more than three or four of them at any one time.
I was shocked to see a debit or credit only vending machine a few months back. Had to walk back to the locker room grab my credit card and go back
Don't you find that irritating? I mean your actual money is no longer accepted. wtf? I just think we are going to regret the extent to which we have allowed the government and the banks to dictate how we make financial transactions. All in the name of 'convenience' mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad