OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
On the track or field..

Innuendo guaranteed at this point regardless of reply.

I'm guessing something jumping. Or hurdles, or I'll behave...

You better hope your wife isn't monitoring your posting... ;)

Pole vaulters and hurdlers are some of the most beautiful women on Earth.

Alicia Schmidt, in case anyone is wondering. She's a runner; definitely enough to get your heart racing anyway...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After researching important latest developments and pictorials I'm convinced there must be a god. What perfection like this could be simply and entirely Darwinian?

BBO told me to be scientific about these studies.

yes, it wasn't hard to uncover (damn what words to use) her identity.

Somewhere Leon is averting his eyes.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
After researching important latest developments and pictorials I'm convinced there must be a god. What perfection like this could be simply and entirely Darwinian?

BBO told me to be scientific about these studies.

yes, it wasn't hard to uncover (damn what words to use) her identity.

Somewhere Leon is averting his eyes.

Brush up on your German... ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I see Greyhound is shutting down all of it's services in the prairies and most of it in BC outside of a VAN to Seattle route.

Lots of public outcry about how are people going to get places when they are sick and stuck in remote places, but this really is just the start of the Urbanization that was talked about a couple years ago.

I'm also a little shocked that there was government funding to help subsidize, but it sounds like BC transportation minister didn't even know this was going to happen. Wonder if the companies that are left know ask for money.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I see Greyhound is shutting down all of it's services in the prairies and most of it in BC outside of a VAN to Seattle route.

Lots of public outcry about how are people going to get places when they are sick and stuck in remote places, but this really is just the start of the Urbanization that was talked about a couple years ago.

I'm also a little shocked that there was government funding to help subsidize, but it sounds like BC transportation minister didn't even know this was going to happen. Wonder if the companies that are left know ask for money.

The only reason that's still running is that it's Greyhound USA doing that route.

I used to take Greyhound a fair amount. Used to be able to get multiple stops along the way from Point A to Point B. I'd get off at a place around sunset, stay in a motel for the night and then catch the bus the next morning. Security concerns, however, not only ended that but made for security checks (short of a strip search) just to get on the bus.

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Anyone ever use an above ground pool? Been looking at getting one but every review is either 1 star or 5 star so hard to get reliable info

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone ever use an above ground pool? Been looking at getting one but every review is either 1 star or 5 star so hard to get reliable info
All the time

845662005884.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't mind the mural but his art is pretty formulaic. Basically paint by numbers on a huge scale with trapezoidal figures. Its pretty much his stamp. tbh I've seen some more interesting works of graffiti through the decades that have been long since erased on the Clareview LRT ROW. There was tons of free spray art there through the decades that got whitewashed. A lot of it more varied works than this artist did with this mural.

Nabob captured it, there really isn't anything to get, its just visual. Remote spin on Dali and some surrealism but mostly just the artists tics that come into play.

But alas, as with any surrealistic art the Artist would have some pre prepared essay on what it all means. They eyes for instance are stars because that's what the author always uses and it captures the wonder of the universe or something..

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
What does HF think of Edmonton's newest piece of public art?

I like the idea. Somewhat meh on the piece, but might like it better in person. In general, like that colour exists but find it a bit too busy with too many things going on. Likely wouldn't stop in front of the piece if it was on a painting in a gallery; however, the thing about art is someone might and the next piece might be one where I do stop.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
I don't mind the mural but his art is pretty formulaic. Basically paint by numbers on a huge scale with trapezoidal figures. Its pretty much his stamp. tbh I've seen some more interesting works of graffiti through the decades that have been long since erased on the Clareview LRT ROW. There was tons of free spray art there through the decades that got whitewashed. A lot of it more varied works than this artist did with this mural.

Nabob captured it, there really isn't anything to get, its just visual. Remote spin on Dali and some surrealism but mostly just the artists tics that come into play.

But alas, as with any surrealistic art the Artist would have some pre prepared essay on what it all means. They eyes for instance are stars because that's what the author always uses and it captures the wonder of the universe or something..

No way, an Edmontonian complaining about public art.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
I think it's fabulous, and it's irrelevant whether i "like it" or not. It enriches the city.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
but i'm sure it cost taxpayers too much money. could have been spent better improving a ring road or filling pot holes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No way, an Edmontonian complaining about public art.

I wasn't complaining about public art I was critiquing the actual work. Enriches? sure. But so does much of the graffiti that has been erased through the years in this city. Its all in the eyes of the observer.

So that really in instances like this work (and this artist has tagged before) the only difference between a highly paid foreign artist vs a local graffiti tagger is permission and getting paid.

So that who deems one form to be superior to the other is the question. Why is one "mural" favored and the art of graffiti artists so frowned upon and not even UTILIZED much. I would be signing up some of the graffiti artists rather than whitewashing their better works for decades.

Hell any freight train rumbling through town looks as interesting as this art work. provided they haven't painted over all the graffiti cars.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad