OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting.....when you watch some of these replays from the current season, like the Detroit game, you see things differently or you missed.

As we all know, Detroit wasn't a very good team this year. In fact they had a shot at the worst record in post-lockout era. But in that game they had a bushel-full of Grade A scoring chances, and were only thwarted by the brilliance of Markstrom He kept them in it, until the power-play got untracked in the third period.

Bottom line.....the 2019-20 version of the Canucks was mediocre defensively, firmly in the bottom 10 teams in the league. So despite all the spin-doctoring in the post-game media scrums with the coach, Canucks need a dramatic improvement defensively next season.

And as they say, goals and assists are about individual talent on the roster. But 'defense' is all about coaching and systems play. So it better get better in a hurry, or the coach will be back on the hot seat early next season, whenever that is.

Reactions: PM and MS

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's interesting.....when you watch some of these replays from the current season, like the Detroit game, you see things differently or you missed.

As we all know, Detroit wasn't a very good team this year. In fact they had a shot at the worst record in post-lockout era. But in that game they had a bushel-full of Grade A scoring chances, and were only thwarted by the brilliance of Markstrom He kept them in it, until the power-play got untracked in the third period.

Bottom line.....the 2019-20 version of the Canucks was mediocre defensively, firmly in the bottom 10 teams in the league. So despite all the spin-doctoring in the post-game media scrums with the coach, Canucks need a dramatic improvement defensively next season.

And as they say, goals and assists are about individual talent on the roster. But 'defense' is all about coaching and systems play. So it better get better in a hurry, or the coach will be back on the hot seat early next season, whenever that is.

Certainly don't agree. Still have to the talent to play good defence.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Is anyone aware of a good book that chronicles the music schene in Seattle leading up to and through the grunge era? I've read plenty of biographies on the major players of the time but feel there is more there than what I've come across.

I have always been on the lookout but never come across one. I have always found it interesting how connected it all was, how all the bands that come out of there were linked together. Not just the Nirvanas and Soundgardens but the lesser known people and bands that linked them all together. Like Green River, Andy Wood, ect.

I am in a bit of a rut musically and would love to discover some more acts from that time since I love most of what came out of it. Plus it was just a very interesting cultural phenomenon.

Or any documentaries on the topic would be appreciated.

i can’t say i’ve read/watched them but i remember the documentary hype from back in the 90s was very well regarded.

there’s a book called something like everybody loves our town (after the hilarious mudhoney song from the singles soundtrack) that was supposed to be good.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
i can’t say i’ve read/watched them but i remember the documentary hype from back in the 90s was very well regarded.

there’s a book called something like everybody loves our town (after the hilarious mudhoney song from the singles soundtrack) that was supposed to be good.
Thanks for the rec.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Supposedly he’s writing now that he’s locked up

George R. R. Martin's coronavirus lockdown gives him more time to write Winds of Winter

I wonder what the odds are on finding a covid19 vaccine before he finishes winds of winter.

or the odds on a vaccine before dream
Of spring (supposedly the one after)

I'd imagine it's going to get done, especially now with everyone in lock down. The bigger question is if he'll be able to get the next book out and finish the series. Supposed to be one more book after Winds of Winter but these things don't always go as planned for him.

And speaking of it really makes me appreciate Brandon Sanderson all the more, the guy is a writing machine. To not burn himself out on his big epic 10 part/1200 pages per book series by writing smaller 400-500 page books along with a bunch of other projects, yet still puts out the big books about every 3 years. He puts up relevant information on his blog, with timelines that you know he can stick to, and this is his current schedule from an annual update:

Part Eight: Projected Schedule of Releases

• The Original audio novella: 2020
  • Stormlight Four: Fall 2020
  • Skyward Three: Summer(?) 2021
  • Wax and Wayne Four: Fall(?) 2021
  • Alcatraz 6: 2021–2022
  • Dark One Graphic Novel: 2021–2022
  • Skyward Four (final book): 2022
  • Stormlight Five: Fall 2023

Stormlight is the big novel series, while Wax and Wayne is the smaller book series and Skyward is teen sci-fi.

I really don't begrudge GRRM, he's just been easily replaced as my favourite fantasy author. Especially with the HBO series taking the general plot line and cramming it into an unsatisfying finish.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'd imagine it's going to get done, especially now with everyone in lock down. The bigger question is if he'll be able to get the next book out and finish the series. Supposed to be one more book after Winds of Winter but these things don't always go as planned for him.

And speaking of it really makes me appreciate Brandon Sanderson all the more, the guy is a writing machine. To not burn himself out on his big epic 10 part/1200 pages per book series by writing smaller 400-500 page books along with a bunch of other projects, yet still puts out the big books about every 3 years. He puts up relevant information on his blog, with timelines that you know he can stick to, and this is his current schedule from an annual update:

Stormlight is the big novel series, while Wax and Wayne is the smaller book series and Skyward is teen sci-fi.

I really don't begrudge GRRM, he's just been easily replaced as my favourite fantasy author. Especially with the HBO series taking the general plot line and cramming it into an unsatisfying finish.

@RandV . . . al'Thor?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Working on filing some original news stories for my final project at BCIT before I graduate.

If anyone has anything happening in their life that they would like to discuss or feel is “newsworthy” shoot me a PM or post in here, always looking for some fresh ideas.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Working on filing some original news stories for my final project at BCIT before I graduate.

If anyone has anything happening in their life that they would like to discuss or feel is “newsworthy” shoot me a PM or post in here, always looking for some fresh ideas.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

There’s a virus really messing with my weekend plans right now. Might be breaking news

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
@RandV . . . al'Thor?

I discovered the Wheel of Time series in the late 90's over a summer high school break and read the 5 books out at the time in two weeks... but no the name merely coincidental. Kind of an annoyance for me as I like going by Rand and was always a Mat fan anyways. And which will be even more annoying when the show comes out and more people become familiar with it.

And it's not really fair to make the comparison, but as Game of Thrones is the elephant in the room and anything remotely similar will be compared to it if anyone was wondering what the 'next Game of Thrones will be' that should be Amazon Prime's The Wheel of Time series. Was really looking forward to the news updates and trailers as filming had started early in the year and it was slated for an early 2021 release I believe, but now I'd imagine things are shut down and all we have is two measly set pictures, one here of Mr. Rand al'Thor.

MV5BZDFiMDFiYmEtYzM1MS00OGQ2LWEyOWUtYjlkMjQ4YTkwZTA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgxNDQwODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

Not sure about the casting for him, kind of gives an Hayden Christensen/Anakin Skywalker vibe, but will just have to see how it works out. From the initial batch of characters it looks like the nailed casting Mat Cauthon, I'm optimistic about Moraine, Perrin, and Egwene, and not sure about Nynaeve or Lan.

Trigger warning by anyone bothered by 'diversity casting' :sarcasm:

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I discovered the Wheel of Time series in the late 90's over a summer high school break and read the 5 books out at the time in two weeks... but no the name merely coincidental. Kind of an annoyance for me as I like going by Rand and was always a Mat fan anyways. And which will be even more annoying when the show comes out and more people become familiar with it.

And it's not really fair to make the comparison, but as Game of Thrones is the elephant in the room and anything remotely similar will be compared to it if anyone was wondering what the 'next Game of Thrones will be' that should be Amazon Prime's The Wheel of Time series. Was really looking forward to the news updates and trailers as filming had started early in the year and it was slated for an early 2021 release I believe, but now I'd imagine things are shut down and all we have is two measly set pictures, one here of Mr. Rand al'Thor.

MV5BZDFiMDFiYmEtYzM1MS00OGQ2LWEyOWUtYjlkMjQ4YTkwZTA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgxNDQwODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

Not sure about the casting for him, kind of gives an Hayden Christensen/Anakin Skywalker vibe, but will just have to see how it works out. From the initial batch of characters it looks like the nailed casting Mat Cauthon, I'm optimistic about Moraine, Perrin, and Egwene, and not sure about Nynaeve or Lan.

My handle is u/Weiramon over on the subreddit.

If you think I am toxic here . . .

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

write about how I won LWMD 1 16-0

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Ordered the first three books off Amazon the other week. It’s been recommended to me a bunch of times over the years, just never had the time - now I do. Finished Eye of the World yesterday and onto The Great Hunt now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Be honest 9-5ers

3 hrs of productivity and 5 hrs of socializing/gamesmanship/browsing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad