OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Caught the original (1974) version of "The Taking of Pelham 123" on TCM earlier this evening. Love that movie.

Mr. Brown, Mr. Blue, Mr. Green, Mr. Grey. Gesundheit!

Reactions: I am toxic

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
One of my all-time favorite youtube videos.

Got something for everyone; data nerds, football fans, lovers of the bizarre.

Chart Party and Jon Bois are a must follow for any sports fan.

John Bois is a f***ing genius. His NBA Y2K series and Breaking Madden are some of the most deeply satisfying emotional rollercoasters I've ever embarked on. I don't think I've ever read anything funnier in print

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Was a long time poster on CDC where I would have found a link to HF at some point, then lurked HF for a while until joining and joining in the fun on the day of "Game 8" vs. Boston.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’ve been watching too much of these off the grid building shows; I’m pretty sure if covid19 doesn’t get me; the idea that o can build an off grid home will finish me off after the quarantine is done

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
It’s probably a 10 year plan to get the funds to buy a property and afford the build but god damn do I wanna do it

it would be super interesting but I need me some high speed internet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see eight, Trump-loving GOP governors have so far refused to issue 'stay-at-home' or 'social distancing' orders. Their reasons run the usual gamut of railing away against 'big government intrusion'.

But the one I love is the Governor of South Dakota, Kristi Noem, who told reporters: "The people themselves are primarily responsible for their own safety."

The Dakotas are too close to Canada for my comfort. Just as well they closed the border.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Is there a more heat-breaking franchise to cheer for in all of pro sports than the Seattle Mariners? And this is coming from a lifetime Canucks fan. But considering how they wasted the careers of all-time greats like Griffey, Ichiro and Felix without getting to a single world series, record-breaking regular seasons that end in failure, long stretches of just plain bad baseball.

Not a Mariners fan, I cheer for the Jays when I find the time to care about baseball. Too young to experience their glory years of the 90's.

I bring this up because for some vreason there have been a lot of Mariners focused youtube videos coming up for me lately.

Another Jon Bois special:

Reactions: I am toxic

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Is there a more heat-breaking franchise to cheer for in all of pro sports than the Seattle Mariners? And this is coming from a lifetime Canucks fan. But considering how they wasted the careers of all-time greats like Griffey, Ichiro and Felix without getting to a single world series, record-breaking regular seasons that end in failure, long stretches of just plain bad baseball.

Not a Mariners fan, I cheer for the Jays when I find the time to care about baseball. Too young to experience their glory years of the 90's.

I bring this up because for some vreason there have been a lot of Mariners focused youtube videos coming up for me lately.

Another Jon Bois special:

The Atlanta Falcons would like to say hello.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The Atlanta Falcons would like to say hello.
At least they've been to some Super Bowls. Haven't wasted awesome careers of all-timers like thw Mariners. All due Respect to Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Roddy White.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
At least they've been to some Super Bowls. Haven't wasted awesome careers of all-timers like thw Mariners. All due Respect to Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Roddy White.
Getting to a World Series is quite a feat though - even compared to a Super Bowl imho. So few teams (I'm talking before the 'wild cards') made the post-season in baseball.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Getting to a World Series is quite a feat though - even compared to a Super Bowl imho. So few teams (I'm talking before the 'wild cards') made the post-season in baseball.
Not many teams in baseball can come close to the Mariners playoff/WS drought. In fact I believe they are the only active franchise who have never made an appearance.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

I mean that’s true but would their history be better if they made the World Series won the first 3 games were up in the 4th game by 8 in the 7th inning and then went on to the lose the series.

Falcons didn’t even have back to back winning seasons until Matt Ryan showed up.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Mariners have 2 players in the HOF wearing Mariner hats in Griffey and Martínez, they will have two more in Ichiro and King Felix.

Randy Johnson also blossomed in Seattle but he went in as a Diamondback, A-Rod will go in as a Yankee if he ever gets in.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I mean that’s true but would their history be better if they made the World Series won the first 3 games were up up.

Yes. At least in that timeline they would have gotten closer than this timeline and would have won an AL pennant. Kind of Ike asking would the Canucks history be better or worse if we lost to Chicago in rund 1 in 2011. It would be worse.

Falcons didn’t even have back to back winning seasons until Matt Ryan showed up.
M'S went their first 14 years without a .500 season. Then they set a record the next season for wins and then lost in the ALDS best of 5 in 4.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This dark side of the ring series is great! I just watched the episode on New Jack. Didn't know half the stuff in it.

I used to be really into wrestling in the 90s so it's very nostalgic.

member 290103

Yes. At least in that timeline they would have gotten closer than this timeline and would have won an AL pennant. Kind of Ike asking would the Canucks history be better or worse if we lost to Chicago in rund 1 in 2011. It would be worse.

M'S went their first 14 years without a .500 season. Then they set a record the next season for wins and then lost in the ALDS best of 5 in 4.

One of the most disappointing playoffs ever. The M's are a lot like the Canucks.

Go Hawks.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Randy Johnson also blossomed in Seattle but he went in as a Diamondback, A-Rod will go in as a Yankee if he ever gets in.
The Mariners only got him as a result of the Expos “going for it” in getting rental southpaw pitcher Mark Langston. That Expos trade worked out worse than the a Canucks Tiger Williams trade in that at least the Canucks got a couple solid seasons with the Tiger.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Ch 22 Sportsnet is replaying the Canucks at Detroit game from earlier in the season. The guide says Toronto vs Ottawa but it's wrong.

Right now it's in the 2nd period and we're down 2-0. I believe we make a comeback to win this one.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Ch 22 Sportsnet is replaying the Canucks at Detroit game from earlier in the season. The guide says Toronto vs Ottawa but it's wrong.

Right now it's in the 2nd period and we're down 2-0. I believe we make a comeback to win this one.
They should replay an WAY earlier game between the Canucks & Red Wings. Back when Kerry Fraser gave us TWO penalty shots in the same game lol! Hlinka & I *think* Boldirev scored on both of those attempts!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Is anyone aware of a good book that chronicles the music schene in Seattle leading up to and through the grunge era? I've read plenty of biographies on the major players of the time but feel there is more there than what I've come across.

I have always been on the lookout but never come across one. I have always found it interesting how connected it all was, how all the bands that come out of there were linked together. Not just the Nirvanas and Soundgardens but the lesser known people and bands that linked them all together. Like Green River, Andy Wood, ect.

I am in a bit of a rut musically and would love to discover some more acts from that time since I love most of what came out of it. Plus it was just a very interesting cultural phenomenon.

Or any documentaries on the topic would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad