The OT Non-Ski Resort - Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I have a question. What's the best part of BC Place to sit in for a Whitecaps game? Money isn't an object. Will be going by myself.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Watching the LA feed, seen an add for a bank... Take a photo of a check with your smart phone and send it to the bank, and that's it deposited. WTF

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It's not like woman didn't contribute to major events historically, but some people try to act as if woman were of equal significance which (although unfair) is just not true.

Little known fact- The woman's suffrage movement (to right to vote) was extremely rascist is some parts, and some of my teachers consistently say how woman were always the "voice of reason". (Even though in many cases they were).

It is interesting to dissect the very few select civilizations that are have given more power to females and how it develops because historically it is quite apparent why the overwhelming amount of societies were male dominated (provider, protected ect). In this day and age the sexes (should) be seen as equals but historically this was not the case and it annoys me when try to argue against that fact

Only on the outside.
Most people do not know what happens in the household.

As a history major, I had read enough texts to believe that while men rules on the outside, inside the household, women had as much, and maybe even more voice.
You should just read some of the gossips in town square during the early part of the American colonies.
There were some great quips about their husbands.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They've had that for a while in US.

It blew my mind, also a funny contrast a high tech way to deposit an old school payment system.

Made me think, Go to the bank, Na I'll just post it, Na **** that I'll just send a pic right here from my couch. Now pass me some more chips.

Will be interesting to see how long till we get it on this side of the world.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Only on the outside.
Most people do not know what happens in the household.

As a history major, I had read enough texts to believe that while men rules on the outside, inside the household, women had as much, and maybe even more voice.
You should just read some of the gossips in town square during the early part of the American colonies.
There were some great quips about their husbands.

I acknoledge that woman do have an influence on their husbands/family but it's almost impossible in most situations to determine to what extent. Gossip is generally unreliable and full of bias/misinformation. I have also read and learned about their impact, but I would argue that the impact of woman generally is less than men. Mostly because of the old paradigm of men always taking leaderhip roles.

Modern time is different, but historically I can't see it being 50:50

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I acknoledge that woman do have an influence on their husbands/family but it's almost impossible in most situations to determine to what extent. Gossip is generally unreliable and full of bias/misinformation. I have also read and learned about their impact, but I would argue that the impact of woman generally is less than men. Mostly because of the old paradigm of men always taking leaderhip roles.

Modern time is different, but historically I can't see it being 50:50

Good points.
Gossips are not that reliable, but I still think there is a certain amount of truths in there, especially when it is about how lazy the husband was, or how lacking his, let's say, skills were.
:naughty:
One of these instances actually went to the court back in the early American Colonial days, and the judge granted a divorce based on these ground.
I am pretty sure he based his judgment on gossips.

You are probably right on the 50/50 ratio, but I still think women had a significant role in history.
Some of the important decisions made by men could came after a visit to the female chambers.
:naughty:
No one knows for sure, but there are just too many buildings and monuments dedicated to women that proves to me that may be the case.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I am not trying to argue that woman have not played an important role, I just think it's disingenuous for some to preach that the role of woman was more because there is not enough evidence to suggest such. I agree with a lot of what you're saying and it's completely possible that I am vastly underestimating the impact of a wife/mother/female family member on an important individual because most know the crazy lengths we go for woman important to us.
:)
The divorce story is funny, no idea about it :laugh:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You're always going to have a problem moving a body when it's in one piece. The best thing to do is cut the body into six pieces and then pile it all together.

Now, once you've got your six pieces the question becomes what to do with them because it's no good leaving them in the deep freeze for your mum to find, is it?

I hear the best thing to do is use pigs. You've got to starve the pigs for a few days first, after that the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a ********. You have to shave the heads of your victims and remove the teeth for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You can always do it afterwards, but you don't want to be digging around through pig ****, now do ya boy? They will go through bone like butter. You need sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be very wary around any man you know who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a 200lb body in around 8 minutes, and that means that each pig can consume an average of two pounds of uncooked human flesh every minute.

Hence the expression: As greedy as a pig.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Watching the LA feed, seen an add for a bank... Take a photo of a check with your smart phone and send it to the bank, and that's it deposited. WTF

That's coming to Canada, too. I know the Credit Unions are onboarding it this year (fiscal 2013). I have severe doubts about the security of it, but we shall see.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ahh...
Coming up soon.
Good luck with everything.

I guess you should fill up on your sleep now.
:cry:
This could be the face your bundle of joy makes for the next little while.

I'm not too worried about the sleeping part this go-round - I'm off of work for 8 months on parental leave, so I can just sleep during the days now. By the time I go back to the office, the new baby will - hopefully - be in something of a routine.

I fully expect you to be modding from the maternity ward. Due diligence and all.

I have an iPhone now, so it's possible. Incurring Mrs. C's wrath - while in the throws of child birth, no less - doesn't sound like a recipe for living a long and healthy life, though. :D

congrats!

We will be down a mod for a little while, oh the parties that will take place, all of the shenanigans that will occur

:sarcasm:

I'm going to come back to a stripper pole in the middle of the board, aren't I? I thought those cops I saw leaving looked a little funny...

Somewhat related - My Grandpa had a saying he'd tell his kids whenever they were headed to a party - usually on a Friday night.

"Whatever you do, do it with respect. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. And above all, remember - tonight is the night of the idiot."

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
^

You'll come back to even worse, an Alain Vigneault Appreciation Thread

:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
ummm, so this happened

Vice has done a couple of good documentaries on North Korea before. One documentary was of a sanctioned tour. The other involved tracking down NK loggers in the Siberian forest that were living in NK sanctioned labour camps and earning hard currency for the NK government.

This tour by Rodman, Vice and the globetrotters was actually not a bad idea. The last thing the North Korean government wants is another group coming in to lecture them about human rights and weapons testing. Basketball is popular there, and in 2000 Kim Jong Il received an autographed Micheal Jordan ball as a gift from Madeleine Albright. Basketball diplomacy isn't a bad ice-breaker. It seems that Rodman really had Kim Jong Un's ear, which was rather surprising to see and good on Rodman. Baby steps like these just might lead to something bigger, like ping-pong diplomacy with the Chinese in the early 1970's.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Didn't think of it that way, that's actually really good. Was surprised by the love for the NBA there, hopefully does become the equivalent with China and Ping Pong. Very good insight. Thank you

I agree with the uselessness of sending more humanitarians

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
You're always going to have a problem moving a body when it's in one piece. The best thing to do is cut the body into six pieces and then pile it all together.

Now, once you've got your six pieces the question becomes what to do with them because it's no good leaving them in the deep freeze for your mum to find, is it?

I hear the best thing to do is use pigs. You've got to starve the pigs for a few days first, after that the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a ********. You have to shave the heads of your victims and remove the teeth for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You can always do it afterwards, but you don't want to be digging around through pig ****, now do ya boy? They will go through bone like butter. You need sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be very wary around any man you know who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a 200lb body in around 8 minutes, and that means that each pig can consume an average of two pounds of uncooked human flesh every minute.

Hence the expression: As greedy as a pig.

Where did this come from?
:confused:
Was there a new development in the Pickton story?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What are some good ways to conserve battery for my IPhone? It rarely seems to last a full day and it's annoying to have it dead, seemingly, all of the time. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

I've heard brightness is a big one

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Where did this come from?
:confused:
Was there a new development in the Pickton story?

Never seen Snatch?

Bricktopsnatch.jpg

He doesn't need sugar in his coffee, he's sweet enough already....

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I'm not too worried about the sleeping part this go-round - I'm off of work for 8 months on parental leave, so I can just sleep during the days now. By the time I go back to the office, the new baby will - hopefully - be in something of a routine.

I have an iPhone now, so it's possible. Incurring Mrs. C's wrath - while in the throws of child birth, no less - doesn't sound like a recipe for living a long and healthy life, though. :D

During the birth of my older brother, my mother was given some painkillers. My dad, the dairy farmer, upon hearing the name of the drug decided to say the undying words "I know that, we use it on the cows". If my mom wasn't labour at the time, I think my dads life would have been in danger. They are still together 21 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad