The Optimism Thread (part 2)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yep. 5.625 mill Vezina winner and a 600k McBackup - definitely should expect the same from them.

Now if only Bob would get up to McB's level things would be better.

That post from Brassard is kind of funny. I think what he was looking for was "Damn it, that's why you are a backup!".

Right now, we are kind of running with two backups. Once again, we're getting some of the worst goal tending in the league. It's amazing that Bob's record is as good as it is. Imagine what it would be like if he just played 90% as well as last year?

The only things I'm looking for right now, is for Bob to improve and try and tread water until we get our forwards back in the lineup. Let the younger skilled forwards continue to try and develop. Let the defense see if they can figure out how to not let players behind them on such a regular basis. Let Murray continue and develop.

Beyond that, I'm not even going to look at wins and losses. Notice I said "try" and tread water. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

If those things I mentioned don't happen, then our front office has some nice deadline and off season work to prepare fore - including a top 10 draft pick; even if it seems to be a fairly weak class. We have some players in the pipeline and if Gabby continues to suck (by his standards); some cap room to play with next season. If we can't trade RJ, we may actually burn an amnesty buyout and have even more cap room.

Too bad the FA market looks less than stellar for next season. Big named old people. Not exactly guys we would want to build around. Not sure I want to sign the contract Vanek is probably looking for.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
With several important guys missing, 2-2 on a Canadian swing that is the longest stretch of away games of the year. Win tonight and it will probably be one of their more successful road trips out west, ever. Not saying much, but a great deal better than most of the alternatives.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
With several important guys missing, 2-2 on a Canadian swing that is the longest stretch of away games of the year. Win tonight and it will probably be one of their more successful road trips out west, ever. Not saying much, but a great deal better than most of the alternatives.

Bless Calgary. It is amazing we have 4 of 8 points when we've been outscored 15-8.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If those things I mentioned don't happen, then our front office has some nice deadline and off season work to prepare fore - including a top 10 draft pick; even if it seems to be a fairly weak class. We have some players in the pipeline and if Gabby continues to suck (by his standards); some cap room to play with next season. If we can't trade RJ, we may actually burn an amnesty buyout and have even more cap room.

Too bad the FA market looks less than stellar for next season. Big named old people. Not exactly guys we would want to build around. Not sure I want to sign the contract Vanek is probably looking for.

Yeah cap room is not so valuable when there aren't players worthy of signing. I'm also not assuming that the org wants to dump RJ. They might, but you pay him to go away and that gives you just enough money to overpay someone else for the same job.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
Ryan Murray. Ryan Johansen.

Boone Jenner.

Cam Atkinson.

Can someone photoshop those guys onto this...

16_79_ost_the_kids_are_alright.jpg

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think being 5 points out with all the injuries we have is a good thing. We're right in it, and we have two big guns (Gaborik, Horton) out. That's like 50 goals between them in a full season. Maybe Gaborik can get to 20 and maybe Horton can get to 15 when they return. We also have important players like MacKenzie out as well as Nikitin, Boll, and missing important players like Calvert and Jenner for some time. 5 points out and we're missing all these guys and not playing the best, imagine IF we can turn this around and start playing consistent hockey? This season is far from over.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think being 5 points out with all the injuries we have is a good thing. We're right in it, and we have two big guns (Gaborik, Horton) out. That's like 50 goals between them in a full season. Maybe Gaborik can get to 20 and maybe Horton can get to 15 when they return. We also have important players like MacKenzie out as well as Nikitin, Boll, and missing important players like Calvert and Jenner for some time. 5 points out and we're missing all these guys and not playing the best, imagine IF we can turn this around and start playing consistent hockey? This season is far from over.

Looking at it another way, we were the 6th worse team in the league before last night's game. Haven't checked to see if we slipped further down. The only thing to be thankful for is that we play in the Metro. Any other division and we'd have no playoff chance. Give me the 6th pick rather than a mercy playoff spot.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Looking at it another way, we were the 6th worse team in the league before last night's game. Haven't checked to see if we slipped further down. The only thing to be thankful for is that we play in the Metro. Any other division and we'd have no playoff chance. Give me the 6th pick rather than a mercy playoff spot.

I'll take the playoff spot because anything can happen. We have played most of the playoff teams in the Metro and East tough, specifically the Bruins, Leafs, Montreal, etc. Only PIT and NYR we struggled against (in only 2/1 games)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If we can get Skille, Comeau and Tropp through on waivers and back down to Springfield (and our goaltending holds up), we're gonna be a team no one wants to play after the Olympic break. Plus we'll either have some depth or some trading chips at the deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If we can get Skille, Comeau and Tropp through on waivers and back down to Springfield (and our goaltending holds up), we're gonna be a team no one wants to play after the Olympic break. Plus we'll either have some depth or some trading chips at the deadline.

One is not like the others..

Comeau and his effective forechecking and grit is here to stay. as underrated as MacKenzie imo.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Comeau stays up IMO. Maybe they send Jenner down to play on the top line and get minutes. He wouldn't be put on waivers IIRC. Not that I think he deserves to be sent down, just it could benefit him developmentally to see the ice more and in a more offensive-minded capacity.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Fully healthy team, just throwing out lines without much thought so don't come at me too much :laugh:

RJ-Joey-Foligno
Calvert-Dubi-Cam
Gaborik-Anisimov-Horton (I know, why is this our 3rd line? But I don't want to break up the top 2 lines atm)
Jenner/Letestu-MacK-Comeau

Boll, Jenner/Letestu/Tropp/Skille (Either Jenner goes down to SPR and Letestu plays and you keep one of Tropp or Skille as extra, or Jenner plays 4th line and Testube sits and the other two get waived)

JJ-Tyuts
Nik6-Prout
Murray-Wiz

Savard

Bob
McBackup

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Fully healthy team, just throwing out lines without much thought so don't come at me too much :laugh:

RJ-Joey-Foligno
Calvert-Dubi-Cam
Gaborik-Anisimov-Horton (I know, why is this our 3rd line? But I don't want to break up the top 2 lines atm)

Boll, Jenner/Letestu/Tropp/Skille (Either Jenner goes down to SPR and Letestu plays and you keep one of Tropp or Skille as extra, or Jenner plays 4th line and Testube sits and the other two get waived)

JJ-Tyuts
Nik6-Prout
Murray-Wiz

Savard

Bob
McBackup

Not sure if Gaborik returns before Horton or around the same time but having Horton to start on the 3rd line isn't a bad idea. Gives him a chance to get back into game shape with limited minutes(guess the same could be said for Gaborik). If anyone on the top 2 lines struggle, you then throw Gaborik/Horton up their where they belong. Also, even if they're playing on the 3rd line, give them PP minutes so their ice time wouldn't be that bad.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

RJ-Joey-Foligno
Calvert-Dubi-Cam

JJ-Tyuts
Nik6-Prout
Murray-Wiz

Savard

Bob
McBackup

I've been pondering the same thing: What to do when the big boys take the ice?

How about (when all are back in the swing of things):

Foligno-Johansen-Horton
Atkinson-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Calvert-Anisimov-Umberger
Letestu-MacKenzie-Comeau

Boll

Jenner to Springy (because he can), Tropp and Skille waived/traded/demoted.

Lots of ways to go - Horton and Gabby switched, Dubi and AA switched, wings rearranged, someone else moved to make room, etc. I do think that the three on the fourth line have earned the right to stay, they are either valuable PKers (Test Tube and DMac) or team-leading hitters (Comeau and DMac). Boll can be worked in as needed.

Must say, that looks, at least to me, to be the best lineup they've ever iced.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Foligno-Johansen-Horton
Umberger-Anisimov-Gaborik
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-MacKenzie-Comeau

Boll/Tropp/Skille or whatever (Kind of reading between the lines but Boll may be a while)

Jenner to SPR for the minutes ... agreed

Just so we don't get hung up on 1st, 2nd, & 3rd line designations. The top three lines can and probably will be played/placed in any order. actual combinations will probably depend as much upon the chemistry between linemates as much as anything. And yes the most talented team iced by the CBJ

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Foligno-Johansen-Horton
Umberger-Anisimov-Gaborik
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-MacKenzie-Comeau

Boll/Tropp/Skille or whatever (Kind of reading between the lines but Boll may be a while)

Jenner to SPR for the minutes ... agreed

Just so we don't get hung up on 1st, 2nd, & 3rd line designations. The top three lines can and probably will be played/placed in any order. actual combinations will probably depend as much upon the chemistry between linemates as much as anything. And yes the most talented team iced by the CBJ

I like your lines, too, except that it seems RJ plays better on the right side. I guess the question there would be, do we want Umby or Cam switching sides?

Just goes to show how much fun can be had when talent is available!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I really like the idea of Horton and Gaborik on our "third" line in order to maintain the chemistry of the other two lines. I think this would create all kind of matchup problems for other teams.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I don't think we will ever be at 100% for an extended period of time, so I'm not worried about sending Jenner or Comeau to Springfield. When those two are healthy scratches, this team should be pretty competitive.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I like your lines, too, except that it seems RJ plays better on the right side. I guess the question there would be, do we want Umby or Cam switching sides?

Just goes to show how much fun can be had when talent is available!

Four guys that play better on the right side, Gaborik, Horton, Atkinson and RJ.

Three slots in the top nine. Who do you move?

I think it's RJ as odd man out. I think his work in the corner and in front would work well with AA and Gaborik. In addition he and AA together can cover for Gaborik's defensive deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->