The Optimism Thread (part 2)

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Did this a couple years ago when things were REALLY BAD! Feels like a good time to start it again! Alot of fans on here are looking at this so/so start like we are doomed. Lets keep this thread positive! Tell us a couple timbits (see what I did there) on why your optimistic about this season. Ill start:

To me, minus the Calgary game, we have been very competitive. Couple bounces here and there and we have points in every game. Also, Even if things were to go a little south, NO WAY IN HELLLLL that MGMT doest step in and at least try to make a trade to keep us in it. With previous MGMT, you know it would have been over before they stepped in.

Your turn!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
At least we don't have slowpoke Vinny Prospal slowing us down and making things even worse?

sorry, not a rah rah guy. But I don't see a significant cause for concern at this point anyway (though a home win would be nice)

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
At least we don't have slowpoke Vinny Prospal slowing us down and making things even worse?

sorry, not a rah rah guy. But I don't see a significant cause for concern at this point anyway (though a home win would be nice)

I dont either.

Cam is looking better every game. I really think we have a 30 goal scorer with him. Maybe not this year, but soon!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I know I'm usually just mentioning bad things but here are some positives:

Cam Atkinson - Looking great, showing continual improvement. He's got a real future ahead of him.

Marian Gaborik - Worried that his surgery and age may have slowed him down, but he's showing he's still lethal and is capable of playmaking as well as scoring.

Brandon Dubinsky - Taking it upon himself to be a leader and is working on his production. Can slot in anywhere in the lineup.

Jack Johnson - Also a leader, is showing that he is dangerous offensively yet sound defensively. Hits hard and shoots hard, hopefully he keeps it up.

Ryan Johansen - We're expecting more production from him, sure, but his play with and without the puck is much better than it was last season. He is sound defensively, wins face-offs, carries the puck much better, and has a solid shot. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he will eventually get rewarded.

Sergei Bobrovsky - Still an effective starter after last year's explosion. Aside from the occasional softie that everyone gives up he's keeping games close. He's earning his paycheck and spot right now which is all anyone can ask for.

Ryan Murray - Gets better every game. A few weeks ago he looked like a #7 defenseman. Now he looks more like a #4. If he keeps it up, he'll be one of our best by the end of the year.

David Savard - Where did this guy come from? He was told during a disappointing last season if he wanted a future in the NHL this season would be make-or-break. It's good when young guys listen, take it upon themselves to improve, and then exceed expectations.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Really?
Remember when we used to do this after losing 6-8 in a row to start the season? Now we're doing it after a 2-3 start with 3 road games and 3 1 goal losses (BOS EN excluded). Movin' on up! (not directed at you, OP! - more the clown show in recent GDT - certain people who will surely show up here mocking the thread's very existence as a sign the CBJ and its fans suck)

I like the raised expectations, but for goodness sakes, people need to get ahold of themselves. I half wonder if people are worried about our position in the polls as well. The team's been up and down and sloppy for the most part, but they've been in every single game and dominated other teams for stretches when players were playing up to potential. A number of guys are fighting the puck right now and they're still playing good teams to the wall.

You'd think the season teeters on the balance in game 6 or something. Sure, there are problems, but it seems to me that they're playing like a young team who's probably going to fight for one of the bottom playoff spots. I have no idea why anyone should be alarmed at this point.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Optimism for the future is certainly there for me. Its just figuring out the when, I'm not sure that this is the year we really break out

Cam: Kid is fearless, and a great secondary scoring threat on a good team.

Johansen: Impressed with every part of his game, except his offense. I think his floor could be an elite level shutdown center.

Murray: The kid can flat out skate, makes the simple smart play. I expect him to be a top pairing guy by next season.

Dubinsky: has really stepped up his play and his leadership this season.

Bob: He is playing at a high level even while adapting to the new nets and rule changes. 2.18 GAA and a .929 GAA is something most teams would kill for in goal.

Overall the team has a very solid future, with an young elite goaltender and a deep, talented young blue line. Once we can bring in some top level offensive talent (either by trade, Johansen and Atkinson continuing to develop, or by Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, exceeding their potential.)

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
So far, the start this year reminds me of the start last year. Scoring goals are hard to come by, and when they lose, they lose by one goal. Hopefully, like last year, they start to put it together and end up on the right side of these one-goal games.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Really?
Remember when we used to do this after losing 6-8 in a row to start the season? Now we're doing it after a 2-3 start with 3 road games and 3 1 goal losses (BOS EN excluded). Movin' on up! (not directed at you, OP! - more the clown show in recent GDT - certain people who will surely show up here mocking the thread's very existence as a sign the CBJ and its fans suck)

I like the raised expectations, but for goodness sakes, people need to get ahold of themselves. I half wonder if people are worried about our position in the polls as well. The team's been up and down and sloppy for the most part, but they've been in every single game and dominated other teams for stretches when players were playing up to potential. A number of guys are fighting the puck right now and they're still playing good teams to the wall.

You'd think the season teeters on the balance in game 6 or something. Sure, there are problems, but it seems to me that they're playing like a young team who's probably going to fight for one of the bottom playoff spots. I have no idea why anyone should be alarmed at this point.

I made this thread because im sick of the bs in GDT! I want to hear about the good things we are doing! IMO we are very close to being at the level we were playing at the end of last season. Get some points on this road trip and come home for 4 straight games. Those are the games we really need to step up in.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think five games in last year it was way worse. I remember the trip through Phoenix and Colorado we lost both and in neither game were we remotely competitive. I feel like we're closer to the way we played in late February, where we had good structure and compete but didn't get the bounces and lost close games. That encourages me because if you can compete despite losing it builds the fortitude that leads to winning and a consistent team effort. We might have a lot more losing ahead, though, but I'm all in on the ride.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I made this thread because im sick of the bs in GDT! I want to hear about the good things we are doing!

I like the constructive critiques too. I think we are getting closer to our peak level but we still have a few key obstacles to work on, and its fun to elaborate on those.

Its really the defeatist folks who tick me off, and the folks who are ready to start a lynch mob every time a player bobbles the puck.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Really?

The bolded makes me remember with loathing the bad old days when there were eggshells under the ice at NWA. We're dealing with adversity this year as we get our feet wet and that's fine. This soon into things, there isn't a lot of reliability in standings and records- does anyone really trust that the Avs are this good? We're just out of the gate, things haven't settled down yet.

The main thing for me is, that nasty Blue Jackets funk seems to be completely gone, the one where the whole team seemed to be wound up in their heads. THAT was the thing that perplexed me the most and it led to inexplicable, bad play.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Already expressed my optimism in the last GDT. I've seen improvement in nearly every game.

Have fun and Go Jackets!

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
My optimism is that the competitive level is good. We don't look like we don't belong with anyone on the ice anymore. I would like to see the desperation level increase a little bit. If you want to score, you've got to be willing to pay the price. They need to crash the net more. If we can start to do that on a consistent basis, then we'll stay in the playoff hunt all season. I'm still optimistic about this season. It's way too early to panic.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I think five games in last year it was way worse. I remember the trip through Phoenix and Colorado we lost both and in neither game were we remotely competitive. I feel like we're closer to the way we played in late February, where we had good structure and compete but didn't get the bounces and lost close games. That encourages me because if you can compete despite losing it builds the fortitude that leads to winning and a consistent team effort. We might have a lot more losing ahead, though, but I'm all in on the ride.

We may have lost in Phoenix and Colorado but for those of us in chat those were some amazingly hilarious chats. For that is when headfake was born.

As for this season I still feel a great deal of optimism. Detroit was a stinker, no doubt about it. But credit where credit is due, we were flat-out outplayed by the Wings. That night they were the better team. That's not to say, however, that we gave up like we would have in previous years. This team has no quit. And therefore I refuse to quit on them.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
We're 2-3. Do we really need this yet?

Again, I created this thread because I think we are fine. I like to here some input from fans about the good things this team is doing and why they feel our future is bright. This wasnt created because I feel this team is in trouble. In fact, I have said all along that we are fine and improving every day. Adds something to this thread, or dont post at all.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I am optimistic that this thread will degenerate into a hilarious argument sooner or later...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Am I the only one that doesn't remember a Part 1? :skeptic: (it's probably on the first page - heh)

These boards are just as strange as they always are.

I figured we were going to struggle a bit to get back into the form we were in last season. After all we lost Prospal and replaced him with a guy that won't play until Jan. That's a lot of production that someone has to fill in for. That's mainly handled through Gaborik, but that means any other increases are pure organic.

With AA struggling, that is one of our better weapons doing nothing right now.

After 8 years (I think), I'm pretty used to the crowd that really can't tell when they are watching good hockey. They see a loss and just assume they watched a bad game. That crowd can't seem to get over the fact we are going to win and lose, a lot, by 2-1 games.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Am I the only one that doesn't remember a Part 1? :skeptic: (it's probably on the first page - heh)

These boards are just as strange as they always are.

I figured we were going to struggle a bit to get back into the form we were in last season. After all we lost Prospal and replaced him with a guy that won't play until Jan. That's a lot of production that someone has to fill in for. That's mainly handled through Gaborik, but that means any other increases are pure organic.

With AA struggling, that is one of our better weapons doing nothing right now.

After 8 years (I think), I'm pretty used to the crowd that really can't tell when they are watching good hockey. They see a loss and just assume they watched a bad game. That crowd can't seem to get over the fact we are going to win and lose, a lot, by 2-1 games.

It was a while back. I tried to bring it back but its locked.

Hoping that by moving AA to LW tonight gives him a boost. We are certainly going to need him. But as ive said before, Im really not concerned about this team. They have been competitive in every game. I really get the feeling that the flood gates are gonna open tonight and we are gonna see alot of goals.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll throw my hat in.

In the last two games, I think we are starting to see the emergence of young Ryan Johansen. Dude has been a monster not only on both sides of the ice, but in the faceoff circle. He's finally getting rewarded for his efforts with some points.

Jenner is obviously improving, but he needs to round out some of his mistakes. Should be no problem with time.

Anyone else think Cam looks a bit like a smaller Giroux without the dangles?

The way they played after the 3-0 deficit tonight had me hopeful that they have finally woke up and are ready to start the season.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I've often wondered if I was the only one who felt this way. Well stated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->