The only mock draft you will ever need...

arsmaster*

History (Jack Johnson) says otherwise.

Drama Queen otherwise known as Jack Johnson was an NCAA player and didnt want to leave college.....Siemens is a WHLer, the scenarios are completely different.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Looks pretty solid.
If Boston ends up choosing between Strome, Murphy and Hamilton i will be very happy, cant go wrong.

I agree if we can get any one of them or if we move up and get one of the big 4 ill be ecstatic.

4thliner*

I duno, Jensen is a project. Could be great if he pans out with the size and skating but now way I take him ahead of guys like Rattie, Puemple, Oleksiak, and even Baertschi and Saad.

13 is too high for Jensen because he hasn't proven he can put up the big numbers expected at the OHL level. In the low teens to mid 20's? Sure

Biggs at 5 is CRAZY. Hew doesn't even belong with the Stromes, Hubs, Hamiltons and Murphys let alone going ahaed of all of them.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
History (Jack Johnson) says otherwise.

The Jack Johnson-situation and the few other defenseman (I think there's 3 of them, David Tanabe, Nikos Tselios and one more) maybe have turned Rutherford against the prospect of drafting D with the first-rounder. I remember him being quoted as to say he doesn't want to use the first on defensemen because they're harder to project.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
One thing that caught the eye was Zibanejad to Canes at 10. Jimmy Rutherford have shown resistance to drafting Europeans, especially early. Haven't drafted a Euro in the first two rounds in 10 years, the 'Canes.

I didn't know that. Would they take maybe Saad or Puempel instead of Z-bad? Is Jensen a European?

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Is there much info on Jaskin? What i have read says he has size and skill, and is closer to NHL ready than most because he plays in a mens league. Whats his potential look like?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I didn't know that. Would they take maybe Saad or Puempel instead of Z-bad? Is Jensen a European?

Jensen is European, but I don't know if it's the European nationality per se or if it's just a preference to have players from NCAA/CHL from Rutherford. Maybe some 'Cane fan can remember if he's ever said anything.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Jensen is European, but I don't know if it's the European nationality per se or if it's just a preference to have players from NCAA/CHL from Rutherford. Maybe some 'Cane fan can remember if he's ever said anything.

Well im not sure what rutheford would have against jensen, yes he is euro but this is his first season in the OHL and he is doing very well. adjustment needed. jensens dad is also canadian.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Everyone has us making the playoffs now... lol. I can see Conte going for a big body centerman like McNeil over a leftwinger if we do pick out of the top 10. We have LW'er depth galore and no one is moving Parise and Kovy from the top 6 anytime soon.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nice job.

Easily the best mock I've seen so far.

agreed.

really well thought out picks. lots of attention to team needs and drafting tendencies.

there are a couple here and there which i'm not sold on, but very few. well done.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Pretty good overall, except I personally don't like those Toronto picks at all from Oshawa.

If Puempel and Scheifele are gone, and you have Oleksiak still on the board I'd take

Oleksiak with our 1st 1st.

and one of: Rakell, Khohk, Catenacci or Noesen with the 2nd 1st.

I don't see us using our 1sts to help 'our penalty kill'

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
great mock! the only thing i would change is the Devils pick (which invariably changes everyone after them), i seriously doubt Lou goes for another left wing in the first round again. with Kovalchuk and Parise (hopefully) at the LW spot for years to come, i think the Devils go for any other position.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I like Jamieson Oleksiak, as a big dman that will need 2-3 years to develop, either we take McNeil or we go with Oleksiak. Even if we take Larrson I would be ok taking two dmen in the 1st round if we don't get McNeil with our 2nd 1st rounder.

I am willing to move up, could Cogliano move us up enough to get McNeil.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Excellent mock, really well done.

I'm happy w/ those picks for the Leafs, though I'd prefer Jurco over Lessio w/ the second.

This is why I really hope we don't trade our picks... the excitement of the draft is awesome, and I'm seriously looking forward to it. Even considering flying to Minnesota to attend.

The Norris

Jan 5, 2011
Pretty good overall, except I personally don't like those Toronto picks at all from Oshawa.

If Puempel and Scheifele are gone, and you have Oleksiak still on the board I'd take

I agree. From what I've read, Oleksiak just seems like a Brian Burke player.

You can't teach size.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Jack Johnson-situation and the few other defenseman (I think there's 3 of them, David Tanabe, Nikos Tselios and one more) maybe have turned Rutherford against the prospect of drafting D with the first-rounder. I remember him being quoted as to say he doesn't want to use the first on defensemen because they're harder to project.

Close, he said he doesn't want to use a first on one because you get fewer prime years out of them before they become a UFA. He'll draft a dman if they're the best player on the board, but if there's anyone they see as close they'll go with them instead.

That said, still didn't keep them from eying Teubert in 2008, though LA beat them to the punch on that one.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener

I dont mind the Boone Jenner pick, but I see Burke using one of the picks (if he keeps them) on a defenseman pending on whose on the board and the other on a forward, like Jenner, Catenacci or Khoklachev. For D it would have to be a big body so Oleksiak, Musil or Mayfield. Not too big on the Lessio pick.

If Toronto uses the 2 firsts on forwards then I would take a look at someone like Justin Sefton with the 2nd round pick. Started the season off slow but is turning it around on a weak Wolves team. Would like to see Toronto take a D with one of their first 3 picks. Need a big D man in the system for down the road in a couple years.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Defensemen in Buffalo's pipeline:

Brayden McNabb
Mark Pysyk
Drew Schiestel
T.J. Brennan
Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
Matt MacKenzie

I've said it before on a bunch of these mock drafts, but due to Buffalo's lack of 2nd round pick, they are virtually forced into drafting a center with their 1st.

The only way this doesn't happen is if Regier makes two significant moves for centers prior to the draft.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Just wondering where you see Mayfield, Khoklachev, Vladislav Namestnikov, Jurco, and Noesen going.

Was curious about that myself.

31-EDM-Rickard Rakell, RW, Plymouth (OHL)
With Lander and Paajarvi, the skilled and intense Rakell creates a solid second line for the Oil.

32-OTT-Victor Rask, C, Leksand (SWE)
You can never have too many Scandinavians in the prospect pool says the Sens brass.

33-COL-Scott Mayfield, D, Youngstown, (USHL)
Smooth-skating defenseman has imposing size and brings a physical element to the game.

34-NYI-Joe Morrow, D, Portland (WHL)
Islanders have any number of offensive defenseman, Morrow could be a steadying influence.

35-FLA-Alex Khokhlachev, C, Windsor (OHL)
“Koko†brings elite hands, speed and some excitement to the Panthers forwards group.

36-CHI-Tomas Jurco, LW, St. John (QMJHL)
With three picks in the second, ‘Hawks can take a risk on securing the next Marian Hossa.

37-TOR-Oscar Klefbom, D, Farjestad (SWE)
Big Swede with a big shot, bit erratic and sometimes too aggressive, just like his captain.

38-STL-Vlad Namestnikov, C, London (OHL)
Blues get another stylish and skilled center that could possibly play alongside Tarasenko.

39-CBJ-Mario Lucia, LW, Wayzata HS (MIN)
Size, speed and his dad is going to be his coach at the UofMinn next year.

40-CAR-Phil Danault, LW, Victoriaville (QNJHL)
Fast and tenacious fore-checker projects as a strong third-line winger with some pop.

41-STL-Adam Lowry, LW, Swift Current (WHL)
Big winger plays a throwback crash and bang style just like his Dad used to.

42-BOS-Shane Prince, LW, Ottawa (OHL)
Adds some offensive dimension to the prospect pool, a skilled winger to play with Seguin.

43-NSH-Colin Jacobs, C, Seattle (WHL)
Big strong right-handed center taken could step into Arnott’s skates sooner than later.

44-CHI – Dan Catennaci, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
“Cat†is one of the fastest skaters in the draft and uses his speed to play a two-way game.

45-NSH – Philippe Hudon, RW, Choates HS (CON)
Strong and smart winger is a top student-athlete and committed to Cornell University.

46-NYR-Vince Trocheck, C, Saginaw (OHL)
Plays a combative two-way game and has potential to grow into a Top-6 center.

47-ANA- Mikka Salomaki, C, Karpat (FIN)
A high-octane center has a non-stop motor and reminds a few of Saku Koivu.

48-DAL-Stefan Noesen, RW, Plymouth (OHL)
A Texan who was educated and motivated by Stars outreach programs is reclaimed.

49-FLA-Michael St. Croix, C, Edmonton (WHL)
One of the highest skill levels in the draft, held back by playing on a weak team.

50-NYI –Joe Labate, C, Holy Angels HS (MIN)
A 6’4 center who has dominated his age group and is headed to Wisconsin in the fall.

51-PHX – Marcel Noebels, LW, Seattle (WHL)
Big winger who has all the rough tools needed to be a power forward.

52-CHI-John Gibson, G, USNTP (USHL)
An embarrassment of riches for the ‘Hawks, star goalie prospect fourth pick of the draft.

53-LAK-Maxim Shalunov, LW, Chelyabinsk (KHL)
Kings have talent everywhere, Shalunov is a risk they can afford to take.

54-TBL-Myles Bell, D, Regina (WHL)
Big shooter who is all over the ice at times, with time could become a solid two-way player.

55-OTT-Gregory Hoffman, C, Ambri (SWI)
Strong competitor has great awareness and instincts with a well-rounded game.

56-PIT-Nick Shore, RW, Denver U (NCAA)
Pioneer Freshman is not as big as his older brother Drew, but faster and quicker hands.

57-SJS-Adam Clendening, D, Boston U (NCAA)
Has been a consistently strong offensive player, potential replacement for Boyle on the blueline.

58-PHX-Xavier Ouellet, D, Montreal (QMJHL)
Slick-skater with high offensive upside, needs to work on his strength and positioning.

59-DET – Max Friberg, RW, Skovde (SWE)
Not sure how the Wings always get these sleeper Swedes, Friberg starred with Jarnkrok at WJC.

60-NYR-Mike Paliotta, D, USNTP (USHL)
Lanky defender has great frame and upside, wore an “A†this year and is headed to UofVermont.

61-VAN-Stuart Percy, D, Mississauga (OHL)
The astute first-pass is key to the Canucks success and Percy does it better than most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad