The One Thing.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
12 games to go, and a cup title to defend.
As a little off-day game, let’s list the one thing each Blues player needs to focus on/improve upon going into the postseason.

Rules: Each poster can only pick one player, and you can’t repeat a player that’s already been picked. You can do an offensive and defensive ‘one thing’ if you choose. I’ll start!

Justin Faulk

The one thing I want to see Justin Faulk focus on, offensively, is: channel your inner Bouwmeester with your shot selection.

Too often, Faulk’s popping his shot directly into the goalies crest for an easy freeze, or a defender is stepping in up top and easily deflecting or blocking it. Instead of going for the goal, do what JayBo did basically all the time — shoot low for the pad-save rebound or, more often, shoot off-goal to a teammate’s stick. With the defender(s) lined up even with the goal, he can start getting more pucks deep to high-scoring areas and skill players.

The one thing I want to see Justin Faulk focus on, defensively, is: watch your hands on skaters entering the D-zone.

I’ve been noticing a lot lately that Faulk gets very pushy-grabby with his hands when he’s one-on-one with skaters entering the zone, especially if they’ve got an edge on him. To his credit, he rarely does enough of it to qualify for interference, but in the Playoffs, I already see it coming (one team complains about it, it becomes a story, refs start calling more interference, Berube protests, fans call us no-goodnicks/cheap/whiners... ;)); add in that he’ll consistently be playing against the fastest/most skilled forwards and the little grabs and shoves become even more noticeable.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I pick Jake Allen. The one thing I want to see him do offensively and defensively is to stay outside of his headspace. Play by instinct, play by training, leave your emotions and mentality at the door.

Reactions: TaffyPool

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'd like to see Thomas shoot more, he's still forcing pass seams that aren't there or to guys who aren't looking for the pass, who miss it by 5 feet and it creates an O-Zone turn over - or everyone else needs to pay more attention to Thomas when on the ice...

Defensively, I'd like to see more consistency with Thomas taking the body - he does it for a few games, then defaults back to stick checks that the opposition is fighting through with relative ease.

Abother summer of off-season training will do wonders for Thomas.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The one thing I’d like to see is for Ryan O’Reilly to shoot more. He’s still an incredibly effective player, the best all around forward on the team, but he’s got a good shot. He’s scored 20 goals in four of the last five seasons, many of those seasons played on crappy teams.

He has 12 this year and it’s not like Jaden Schwartz last year where he had obscenely poor puck luck. Ryan O’Reilly’s shooting percentage this year is 10.2%. His career shooting percentage is 10.8% so it’s down a little but not much.

What is down significantly is the number of shots he’s taken. He took 234 shots last year. This year it’s legit half of that (116). In a season that was primarily void of Vladimir Tarasenko, he should have been taking MORE shots, not less and as great a player as he is (my favorite on the team) he can be even better.

Just shoot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad