The One Injury That Would Devastate Your Team

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Braden Holtby goes down and Caps miss the playoffs. Could name several others that would end the season early but that's the biggest one.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
For the Bruins, it's cliché because everyone's picking goalies, but I'm going to go with Rask. We already had injuries to BOTH Chara and Krejci. We weren't exactly looking like contenders in the standings or on the ice when they weren't there, and it took a little time to get them back to speed, and we're definitely better with them. But even without them, we didn't look like a bottom 5 team.

Plus, we had other issues at the start of the season that have partially been plugged by Pastrnak, our new prodigy. He's 18 years old, but at least so far looks VERY ready for the NHL.

Without Rask, we have Svedberg, who makes me NERVOUS. And I'm not easily made nervous by a backup goalie - we had Chad Johnson last year, and I actually wasn't scared any games he started. Our AHL backup would be Malcolm Subban, who's a big ? to me. Supposed to be good, but hasn't played an NHL game yet.

Those goalies are NOT how you build a team that's supposed to make the playoffs - at least, not yet.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Stepan. We have Talbot behind Hank. I would have ordinarily said McDonagh, but we've proven over the last few weeks we can win just fine even with him playing like absolute crap.

tim_*

Braden Holtby goes down and Caps miss the playoffs. Could name several others that would end the season early but that's the biggest one.

I see a few people posted Ovechkin and Backstrom above Holtby. Yikes.

Holtby is the only reason the Caps are even a bubble team this year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ondrej Palat and it's not even close. He carries every line he plays on because of his iron will and tenacity. Kid goes straight the corners every single shift until he wins the puck. Sometimes he comes right up with it, sometimes it takes him the whole shift. But he pitbulls the opposition until we have possession. He is creative offensively, has a decent shot and backchecks like someone has a gun to his head. He can play with anyone and make them better because he is the best player on the ice at all times. Yes that includes Stamkos. Stammer doesn't dump the puck in from the blue line, chase after it and come up with it with 2 guys hanging on his back on a regular basis. And if Ondrej doesn't have the puck he separates from the opposition making himself open for a pass that can bail out a teammate about to lose the puck. Or if given the opportunity, he doesn't pass up the chance to shoot like Teddy Purcell used to. And lastly he's always backing up the play. Either's either joined in the heart of the offensive rush or he's the guy rushing back that neutralizes the odd man rush or simply is the one who breaks it up. To his credit, Kucherov does that a lot too.

It's that willingness to get your hands dirty that has enabled his linemates Kucherov and Johnson to be the beneficiaries the best +/- ratios in the league. The TKO line is never in their defensive zone because Ondrej makes sure of it and meanwhile Johnny and Kuch usually do the scoring. Occasionally a very intelligent secondary assist from Palat gets the play started.

There is absolutely no wasted motion from Palat. He is easily the most well rounded player on our team and the kid is gonna win a Selke one day if he keeps this up. If he's not nominated this year I'd be surprised.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
I know the obvious answer for the Habs is Price, but I believe Tokarski is a very competent goalie and an injury to either Pacioretty or Subban would cripple the team.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Nash with a season ending groin injury, or more seriously, Hank getting hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

JS91

May 14, 2014
I don't think there's anyone in Tampa that would be absolutely devastating to lose to injury. Hedman or Stralman going down would pretty much downgrade our defense close to the Oilers level so that could be the worst one. We have so much offensive depth that even if any of the TKO or Stamkos goes down we should be able to manage. And if Bish went down we'd still have Vasilevskiy and Gudlevskis ready to go.
So yeah, if our either one of our top pairing D-men went down it might screw us up pretty bad.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'd go a different Direction with the Wild. We've got the Winger depth to cover a parise loss, and the rest of the top 4 after Suter is rock solid.

But we've got zero Center depth, and even though he's under performing this year, losing Koivu would kill the Wild.

TheSilverSkeeter

Sponsor
Oct 27, 2011
STL
Blues fans mentioning Elliott and/or Schwartz aren't wrong in that losing either of those guys has a very measurable negative impact on the team. We witnessed both missing time already, and the Blues weren't the same at all.

But I've got to go with Pietrangelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad