The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You have a very unusual concept of what constitutes "winning" evidently.

In 17 seasons the CBJ have never finished higher than 3rd in their division and have finished in the top 5 of their conference only once. They lead the 5th place Carolina Hurricanes by 5 points right now. Never mind the ignominious playoff history.

Winning while Artemi is under contract is a lot more relevant to him than what happened in the past. And the Jackets are loaded for bear for future success, every serious analysis comes to that same conclusion. The two question marks are Artemi himself and in goal, which is likely more about whether the Jackets want Bob or not, it's in the team's hands.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You have a very unusual concept of what constitutes "winning" evidently.

In 17 seasons the CBJ have never finished higher than 3rd in their division and have finished in the top 5 of their conference only once. They lead the 5th place Carolina Hurricanes by 5 points right now. Never mind the ignominious playoff history.
:eyeroll: If one wanted to go by this definition of "winning", he'd be headed for Detroit.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think we would all be better off if we just enjoy him through this season and ride his back.. cause now that he is scoring again this guy is just fun to watch. No one will trade schitt for him if they think they can just buy him later so slap a saddle on his back and ride that bugger till he drops.. & if the season ends with the pinnacle of success.. don't let him drink from the cup

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
They are likely getting forced to keep him based on their place in the standings. You have a franchise that has yet to build a huge fan base and they have yet to win a playoff series. Trading your top player from a position in the playoffs with the idea that it will make the team better in 2-3 years while likely killing any chances in the current season is not going to go over well. The time to move him was before the season otherwise they had to be in an unlikely playoff position to move him in season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They are likely getting forced to keep him based on their place in the standings. You have a franchise that has yet to build a huge fan base and they have yet to win a playoff series. Trading your top player from a position in the playoffs with the idea that it will make the team better in 2-3 years while likely killing any chances in the current season is not going to go over well. The time to move him was before the season otherwise they had to be in an unlikely playoff position to move him in season.

Of all the GMs out there I don't think Jarmo loses much sleep over perception issues. Ultimately what matters is wins and losses, and the thinking is probably that a couple more picks and prospects wouldn't give us enough wins in the long run to make up for the near term losses from selling Panarin. It's the same rationale over the summer as it is during the season.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Of all the GMs out there I don't think Jarmo loses much sleep over perception issues. Ultimately what matters is wins and losses, and the thinking is probably that a couple more picks and prospects wouldn't give us enough wins in the long run to make up for the near term losses from selling Panarin. It's the same rationale over the summer as it is during the season.

I know you guys are more invested, but I agree with this. You don't want to look back on this season and wonder "what if we had kept Panarin?" From another team's perspective, I think this is the best roster you guys have ever had. I really hope the team goes for it. The defense is fairly ridiculous, the forwards are DEEP, PLD has established himself, Panarin will be clutch, Atkinson is doing his thing, Murray is a top pair guy now, Nutivarra has taken a big step.. the list goes on.

And Pittsburgh and Washington are definitely not the same teams they were even a year ago.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And Pittsburgh and Washington are definitely not the same teams they were even a year ago.

I remember hearing this last year, and the year before, and the year before. Yet they always find a way. This argument holds no water with me.

Trade him if he won't sign. If you lose him for nothing it sets the franchise back for years. Trading him at least softens the blow going forward, even if its a crushing blow to the current season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Trade him if he won't sign. If you lose him for nothing it sets the franchise back for years. Trading him at least softens the blow going forward, even if its a crushing blow to the current season.

If you trade him it's probably for picks and prospects, which ...... sets this franchise back for years, same outcome. Give me one plausible trade package that adds wins next year and the year after.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you trade him it's probably for picks and prospects, which ...... sets this franchise back for years, same outcome. Give me one plausible trade package that adds wins next year and the year after.

Well, ideally the prospect you trade for would be NHL ready or close. Someone with high end potential. In some ways I see your point in how either way it sets the franchise back for years, but at least in the trading him scenario you pick up assets that can be used to improve at some point, in addition to cap space, rather than just getting a maybe playoff run (if they qualify) and a potential run. It's different if we were a cup contender, but I don't feel like we are at this point (we'll see by January's end) so keeping him for maybe a round win is not worth losing out on a potential good prospect and high round pick.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Well, ideally the prospect you trade for would be NHL ready or close. Someone with high end potential. In some ways I see your point in how either way it sets the franchise back for years, but at least in the trading him scenario you pick up assets that can be used to improve at some point, in addition to cap space, rather than just getting a maybe playoff run (if they qualify) and a potential run. It's different if we were a cup contender, but I don't feel like we are at this point (we'll see by January's end) so keeping him for maybe a round win is not worth losing out on a potential good prospect and high round pick.

I'd like to see a specific scenario of a return that is both plausible and adds wins. Like actual players/picks - it's hard to constantly discuss this issue in the abstract, maybe you are thinking of better returns than I am.

And I get that keeping Artemi still makes us a big question mark in the playoffs, but it's going to be a gamble of sorts no matter what we do. There's no safe option here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And this is the Artemi situation in a nutshell, organizationally. Neither a playoff run (not traded) nor useful/contributing assets on return (traded) are guaranteed. So our interpretation as fans pretty much depends on which non guarantee you’re more comfortable with/willing to risk. I happen to be on the take a chance on the playoffs this season end of the equation.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Put me in the "depends on the return" camp. If Colorado gives up Ottawa's #1 and a decent prospect or maybe a couple of more picks I'd seriously consider it. Win the lottery (unlikely but possible) and draft Hughes would not weaken the franchise for years. In fact could strengthen it and make it easier to re-sign Bob from a cap perspective. Cue up the "Colorado will never do that" comments.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
And this is the Artemi situation in a nutshell, organizationally. Neither a playoff run (not traded) nor useful/contributing assets on return (traded) are guaranteed. So our interpretation as fans pretty much depends on which non guarantee you’re more comfortable with/willing to risk. I happen to be on the take a chance on the playoffs this season end of the equation.

This would be on the inside cover of the Panarin book that comes out after all this is over :laugh:

Accurately describes both sides of the situation, very well said.

Put me in the "depends on the return" camp. If Colorado gives up Ottawa's #1 and a decent prospect or maybe a couple of more picks I'd seriously consider it. Win the lottery (unlikely but possible) and draft Hughes would not weaken the franchise for years. In fact could strengthen it and make it easier to re-sign Bob from a cap perspective. Cue up the "Colorado will never do that" comments.

Creative... but even more risky than keeping --or-- trading him for just prospects no?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They wouldn't. Because that pick would inevitably be lottery protected. It's a shot at Jack Hughes; folks are not that stupid.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
The Panarin situation is getting interesting for sure. I'm a Blackhawk and Panarin fan so I look at it a bit differently than most here do. I'm not worried about Panarin's numbers at this point of the season. His goals are down but he's right about not getting setup. I don't see many passes on his tape like he gives everyone else. He should have 40 assists by now.
Panarin always plays his best hockey the last 25 games of the season. He's never been a point a game player at this point of the season in prior seasons. Wait till he catches fire to end the year.
Columbus stole him and that was one of the worst one for one trades I've ever seen. Saad is no better than a third liner on most teams. You got Panarin for him.

Losing Panarin after this season for trading Saad isn't the end of the world. You would have taken a ham sandwich for Saad. Will Columbus win the cup with Panarin on the roster? Mayb, stranger things have happened. Will they win without Panarin? No chance in hell.

It's a tough call. Some team will look into making a deal for him at the trade deadline. Would you take a first rounder in 2019 that will be in the high 20's and a prospect or two for him? That's likely what you'll get. Me, I'd trade him for sure if he doesn't sign. It's all about business and you can't afford to let him walk for nothing.

Reactions: akmuo33

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Would you take a first rounder in 2019 that will be in the high 20's and a prospect or two for him? That's likely what you'll get. Me, I'd trade him for sure if he doesn't sign. It's all about business and you can't afford to let him walk for nothing.

The Jackets absolutely can afford to pass on a late 20s 1st rounder and a couple B prospects. The cupboards are already overstocked with middling players.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Would you take a first rounder in 2019 that will be in the high 20's and a prospect or two for him? That's likely what you'll get. Me, I'd trade him for sure if he doesn't sign. It's all about business and you can't afford to let him walk for nothing.

Not right now. We're playing well.
Now if we start tailing (meaning not a top 4-5 team in East) then absolutely I'd look to move him for assets if it doesn't look like we'll resign him.
But right now team is playing well, and that is without him playing his best hockey so I would continue to hold.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

There was an IG message exchange with Radulov? posted probably in this thread in the last 3-4 pages. I'll post this and then go looking for it. Given the format, I think it's fair to consider that it might not be 100% serious, although it could also be one of those "I'm saying this sarcastically but I really mean it" kind of things.

EDIT: (I bolded the portion of the exchange in question)
Bread and Radulov did a little chat on instagram.

Panarin: Looked like Benn and Seguin didn't like when you scored.. what was that?
Radilov: Nahh,, nah.. it;s all good.
Radulov: – we lost last night, have you seen? to Rangers.
Panarin: – Yes we too, to "Toronto"
Radulov: – But they are playing well, though
Panarin: – meh, there are only Marner and Tavares that are any good.
Radulov: – Listen, you tell me, what are you, you became a pure passer now or what? You don’t score at all.
Panarin: Pffff, …….how can you score if no one gives you are a pass?

Radulov: – You can do it on your own.
Panarin: – Yeah, it’s hard. You beat one, the second guy goes on you.
Radulov: - The rink is too small, nowhere to run?!
Pabarin:- hahahah yes.
Radulov: - Where is Bob?
Panarin: - Bob is at home. In the gym already, probably. I think i will got to work out too.
Radulov: - Bob does not get out of there at all! You've seen? To be honest, I was in shock in Dallas, when he started to work without shoes. I thought "wow what a professional."
Panarin: - hahahah He is a demon!
Radulov: - We should break the instagram. So, come on, tell everyone that you are going to Dallas next year.
Panarin: - Everything is occupied over there, where to play? On PP - Seguin. You won't trade him anyway. He has no move clause right?
Radulov: - In Pittsburgh it's snow is already, can you imagine. I generally got into another reality. And in Dallas it's warm.
Panarin: - By the way, Pittsburgh, in my opinion, is considered a dirty city by ecology.
Radulov: - Yes, we were walking now, I breathed 40 minutes. Tomorrow I will trample on the bucket
Panarin: - I also walked - it's cold already. You are lucky in Dallas.
Radulov: - When we were leaving - it was +22C.
Panarin: - Also there is no taxes right. How much do you get in total?
Radulov: - What, I do not get anything at all! I play for the love of hockey!
Panarin: - yeah, do you know when I "like" it especially? When there is 17 games per month. I really "like" to play hockey then. The schedule here is an ass. *swearing
Radulov: - Yes, we now have seven games in 10 days. 6 of them are back to back.
Panarin: At least there is a bye week, will you go to the All-Star Game?
Radulov: - No, hardly.
Panarin: - And do you want?
Radulov: - Yeah, I don’t know, the bye weak in the calendar is a tempting little thing.
Panarin: - In my opinion, this event is BS in general, to be honest. I would like to be in Miami for a week instead.
Radulov: – it seems to me that people who go to ASG are even more tired after that.
Panarin: - This is what i’m talking about . For me that event has no authority. Plus, you know, they're really not chosing the best players for it.

«Хрен знает, что за Матч звезд. Там литрбол». Панарин и Радулов зажигают в эфире

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
There was an IG message exchange with Radulov? posted probably in this thread in the last 3-4 pages. I'll post this and then go looking for it. Given the format, I think it's fair to consider that it might not be 100% serious, although it could also be one of those "I'm saying this sarcastically but I really mean it" kind of things.

EDIT: (I bolded the portion of the exchange in question)

Harmless banter that unsurprisingly is being blown out of proportion if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->