The Olympic Gold Medal Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lindros_for_rizzle_ said:
Or maybe it´s you who should take your biased glasses off. Finlands roster is overall on par with Sweden plus that Finland is more solid as a team. Swedens defensive line-up is a joke. And calling Swedens roster basically second is also a joke. At most they are one notch below Russia and Czech on paper, but on the ice all these teams mentioned Finland, Czech and Russia are way better than Sweden. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut unless Selanne, Belarus or Czech republic will teach you otherwise again, because it seems you didn´t get enough from the last lessons they gave you in '98, '02 and '04. :cry:

Jeeze, I see you're full of Christmas cheer.

reaper

May 1, 2005
I didn't mean to come down on Finland, but come on, the the finnish roster is not on par with Swedens. Defense is a joke? Nik Lidström has been best defender in NHL for almost 10 years now. Öhlund and Norström are recognized as two of the best defenders in the league. Kronwall if healthy is one of the most promising defender prospects. Kenny Jönsson is still very solid etc etc. Now with Kiprusoff gone Finland doesn't have the edge over Sweden in goaltending. Name 6 finnish forwards that match up with Forsberg, Alfredsson, Sundin, Näslund, Modin and Sedin. As i said i think the gold will go to Sweden, Russia, Chech or Canada with USA and Finland as outsiders.

Merry Xmas everyone!

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:
One word: Lundqvist. :teach:

Edit: I mean they didn't have a very good goalie in '98, '02 and '04. Well, Salo was pretty good in Nagano, but so was Selänne. :D

Salo was good in -98, neither of those goals were easy. They were a result of Teemu Selänne's amazing personal talent and the chemistry of that line. One can't blame Salo for that loss.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
Salo was good in -98, neither of those goals were easy. They were a result of Teemu Selänne's amazing personal talent and the chemistry of that line. One can't blame Salo for that loss.

Yes, that what I said. ;)

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
I voted for Sweden!

Off course Canada is the team to beat because they are the strongest team on paper.

Close behind those 2 are IMO:

Russia, USA, Czech Republic and Finland

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I voted for Sweden because I myself blame those two big failures (02, 04) on one big ******* called Hardy Nilson, the guy must have been as fun to play under as Saddam would have been if he was a hockeycoach. Man do I hate what he did to swedish icehockey, his idea's about torpedohockey was interesting, looked good but the guy, I mean, god I cant even express myself in words thinking about him, freaking a-hole.

With Sweden going over to classical swedish icehockey I think we stand a chance to beat all the teams but Canada, Russia and Czech have some amazing teams and will be really hard to beat.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
reaper said:
Finland before Sweden must be a joke unless your basing it on Swedens earlier olympic tournaments.

Actually that was the tie breaker for me.

I think Sweden looks very good on paper. They finally have goaltending now. Its just that I can't help but thinking that they will blow it in the end.

Of coruse they could very well prove me wrong.

greatwhite101*

CuJo#31 said:
I voted for Sweden!

Off course Canada is the team to beat because they are the strongest team on paper.

Close behind those 2 are IMO:

Russia, USA, Czech Republic and Finland
I do not see USA even close to Czech Sweeds or Russians. Forget about Canada.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I think people are underrating the US a lot. They might not have the most talented team, but they have a team full of heart and hard workers. Watch for them to be in every game, and they could surprise.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
felixd said:
I think people are underrating the US a lot. They might not have the most talented team, but they have a team full of heart and hard workers. Watch for them to be in every game, and they could surprise.

It may only be one game but:

Rick Dipietro - 6 goals on 28 shots
Henrik Lundqvist - 2 goals on 25 shots

Just saying...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Epsilon said:
It may only be one game but:

Rick Dipietro - 6 goals on 28 shots
Henrik Lundqvist - 2 goals on 25 shots

Just saying...
Its not only one game. Ricky has been lit up plenty this year. He gave up 6 0n 17shots the night he was named to the team

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
AvsGuy said:
Modin and Zetterberg aren't all that great. pretty darn good top 6 though.

but you'd take that forward set over one that includes Jarome Iginla, Todd Bertuzzi, Rick Nash, Vincent Lecavalier, Joe Thornton and Simon Gagne? I'd be hard pressed to find a better team, on paper, than Canada. we'll see how they match up on the ice, I guess.

Yes, I would take that top 6 over any other top 6. Forsberg is the best centre in the world. Sundin is one of the top 10 as well. Add to that Naslund and Alfredsson (who has been amazing this year), and you've got the best top 4 in the tournament. Zetterberg has put up good stats so far (tho I haven't seen him play) and Modin is great all around.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Gold: Canada (Fire power, Brodeur is a BIG GAME goalie)
Silver: Czech (Hasek)
Bronze: Sweden (Offense is powerful)
4th: Slovakia (All around good core group)
5th: Russia (No defence)
6th: Finland (No Kipper- No medal)
7th: USA (OLD)
8th: Germany (Not as good as any of the above teams)

member 30781

My parents were born in RUssia lived in Russia and loved the SOviet UNion team, and this Olympics is no exception. But when every things comes together i cant give the Gold to Russia even thought they may have the most talented team this Olympics. Not even Canada can take it. There is no way Canada will go back to back. So this Olympics my pick is Sweden. Im a philly fan so FOrsberg is my guy and with Naslund on the wing and Lundkvist between the pipes, i think its a sure bet.

SWEDEN SWEDEN SWEDEN :clap: :clap: :clap:

wildone26*

felixd said:
I think people are underrating the US a lot. They might not have the most talented team, but they have a team full of heart and hard workers.

They have a hard working team, but so does Germany, and they wont be in the running either. All the hard work and heart in the world can only go so far to overcome far either inferior talent levels, or severely declining abilities, or very underdeveloped skills.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
sonnytheman said:
Yes, I would take that top 6 over any other top 6. Forsberg is the best centre in the world. Sundin is one of the top 10 as well. Add to that Naslund and Alfredsson (who has been amazing this year), and you've got the best top 4 in the tournament. Zetterberg has put up good stats so far (tho I haven't seen him play) and Modin is great all around.

fair enough, but was the same not the case in 2002? that amazing top 6 got handled by Belarus, for goodness sake.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
AvsGuy said:
fair enough, but was the same not the case in 2002? that amazing top 6 got handled by Belarus, for goodness sake.

No Forsberg in 2002.

Feb 24, 2004
Remember when Switzerland did really well at the World Juniors like in 98 or something? Aren't those players currently in their "prime"? I dunno anyone know anything about Swiss hockey? :dunno: :dunno:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If Canada doesn't win the gold medal during the Olympics in Torino in February, it will be a huge upset. I like the Czech team a lot, but Canada has to be favored over every other team at this point. They are just too strong at every position to lose more than one or two games

Hmm – they do not have to lose a single game. Just a tie in the quarter finals against a team that has a good day (like Sweden, Russia or Slovakia) and they are gone in a shootout with penalty shots. I do not agree that if Canada loses it will be a big upset. Both Czech Republic, Sweden and Russia have squads with maybe even higher peaks than the Canadian squad. Canada may have the best backup goalies and fourth line – but how is that gonna win you games. The winner takes it all reality - as The Olympics in essence is – really means that it is a wide open affair. Offensively I gotta go with Sweden (the mental bit is however not certain) and Russia. Defense (big rink – remember) favors Czech Republic. Goaltending ??? All the best nations (except Canada as Brodeur is having a miserable year) have hot goalies, Finland probably has the best keeper – but he ain´t going. The Czech 1 2 punch in goal is very impressive. Sweden´s Lundquist is maybe the hottest goalie now in the Olympics.

I predict the following scenario after the qualifying round

Group A
Canada
Czech Republic
Finland
Germany
Switzerland
Italy

Grupp B

Russia
Sweden
Slovakia
USA
Latvia
Kazakstan

That would mean the following superinteresting rivalry matchups in The Quarterfinals:

Canada – USA
My pick. Canada. Big victory in a tough game

Russia – Germany
My pick, Russia by 4 goals

Sweden – Finland
My pick – Sweden in a close game

Czech Republic – Slovakia
My pick – upset by Slovakia in overtime

The semis would then be :

Canada – Sweden
My pick – small upset Sweden wins in the best game of the competition – so far

Russia – Slovakia
My pick – Russia

Bronze game goes to Slovakia who do not fume after losing semifinal. Canada is devastated and loses morale after loss to chicken Swedes. Don Cherry goes ape and applies for citizenship in New Zealand (couldn´t get further away now could he?)

FINAL GAME
Sweden – Russia

The Outcome – Another penalty shot victory for Sweden. 4-4 in regulation time. Hero is not Forsberg, Sundin, Näslund or Alfredsson – it is Henrik Zetterberg + Henrik Lunquist (The Henriks) that do it for the Swedes in the most dramatic contest on ice ever

Just some speculative thoughts

BB from Iceland (where there basically is no real hockey - despite the lousy feature depicting oversized Viking goons on ice in the crumby Mighty Ducks movie)

By the way the Swedish roster is kind of a socialdemocratic joke (have to have some players from the Swedish league to satisfy the leftist fraction of the sad population) but then

I had this dream

I sent an evildoer onto the ice in the Swedish league (oggie ogelthourpe was his name) and he "took out" a couple of players /JJ & Hannula. His evil cousin "Mad Dog" something from way up in The Territories then proceded in taking out M Samuelsson and Sammy PÃ¥hlsson in the NHL.
So I woke up to see the following lineup instead:

Alfredsson – Forsberg – Näslund :clap:
Zetterberg – Nylander – Holmström :hockey:
Modin – Sundin – Renberg :banghead:
Sedin – Sedin – M Nilsson :handclap:

Xtra – PJ Axelsson

Out Jönsson, Hannula, Påhlsson, Samuelsson :deadhorse

Norström – Lidström
Öhlund – Kronwall (Hävelid if he is not well)
Jonsson – Jönsson
C Bäckman

Too bad this was but a dream

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Yeah - almost fotgot in my insomiatic state

One more minor question -
Who is gonna stand up when Thornton, Nash, Bertuzzi & Co go after Forsberg (and/or Zetterberg/Näslund/Alfredsson) and cheapshot him - like they probably will - if Sweden gets an early lead against Canada?

The mean lean Swedish Defencemen Team :sarcasm:
JJ??? :shakehead
Sami PÃ¥lsson ??
hmmmm
Maybe Mikka Hannula... :confused:
The red headed twins perhaps... :madfire:

What a joke... :D
They should have had at least one (maybe two) 4th liners that do not give a flying f**k about anything and basically are kamikazees when times get rough (I am not saying that Sweden has anybody really tough or big enough to stand up pound for pound against North American players or their overly aggresive style of play when it comes to elimination tournaments - but at least---). Sweden basically lacks this type of player - but M Nilsson, T Holmström, J Hedström or even M Renberg would have better for this very important and probably decisive role against Team Canada in an win or lose all game. Nobody made it here. Nobody. Just plain stupid and typically Swedish to believe that you can beat the Canadians any other way. It is going to have to be used - believe me - Canada will stop at nothing to win gold this time. They have a hit squad. They have used it before. And will - if forced to - use it again. Look at their chosen troup. Gretzky is no fool. You can be very sure of this.
But BÃ…G - in his typically conceited swedish fashion of knowing it all and telling everyone what else is better in Sveeden - apparently is as he has learned nothing of past experiences. He probably sincerely believes that 2 weiry goood passing and skating lines and two checking lines too holdd thee puck vill teech eweryvon that thee sveeedish vay izz thee besst vay - just like vee all learned in day care by thee perfect sveedish government."
I guess if you are part of/a product of The corrupted Glennert family you cannot think in any other way. And then again - BÅG kind of proves this by his choice of assistants. OK - Mats Näslund is in on the team (probably cuz they played on the same line for Tre Kronor...)
But why not use Börje Salming, Ulf Samuelsson and/or Tomas Steen (ooops forgot - he forgot about his son out of the 65 man preliminary troup cuz he had to show his allegiance to the Karlstad family by putting half of Värmland on this rooster and he therefore would probably decline anyway) in the team. These names invoke deep respect in the NHL, they definitely know about the toughness it takes to win and they most certainly have objective, fresh and very helpful points (and all not being brought up in the environment that has seen Sweden lose every playoff game in a real major tournament since they beat USA in Canada Cup a zillion years ago) to make to the team. New and respected blood. They could invoke the self-confidence that Sweden has been lacking and needing for ages.

Nope - we got Tommy Samuelsson and Jan Karlsson instead. Real respected, scary and qualified guys that the NHL guys are really gonna listen to. NOT

Hahaha

So - JJ and Hannula - go get em boyz --- :toothless

Yeah - what a joke.
Pathetic actually :clap:

Call in The H:ansson Brothers

Sweden --- >The Land of conceited losers that know it all but do not do it at all and can never admit to the fact that anyone or any country is actually better than Dee Homeland ;)

VladNYC*

Well i voted for Russia. This is def the best team since the Fall of the USSR. Honestly the only team that im worried about is The Czechs and Sweden.

The Way i see it is

Russia
Czechs
Sweden
Canada
Fins
USA

I don't think Canada is reaching the gold medal game this year. I like Brodure, but i think he is done. He played amazing in Austria but some tihng is really wrong with him this year.

The Czechs are who i am REALLY worried about. Jagr is playing like an animal and alot of his teamates play with him on the Rangers. That will help A TON. Dominik Hasek shows no signs of age. Russia will have to work very hard to beat him.

Sweden has Lunqvist and I have seen everyone one his games this year. He is Amazing. A little swedish monster. A relic from the Viking days never intended for mass production. He will patch up Swedens D probs. Their offense is great.

I see Russia vs Czechs for Gold and Sweden vs Canada for Bronze.
I don't see Canada trying hard for a bronze medal. This will go to the Swedes. The Russia vs Czech game will all depend on the Russian goaltending, it depends which Khabi shows up. The current Khabi or the great Khabi that we used to know.

Also i really like the Finns this year. They have a shot of getting any medal but gold this year if luck is on their side.

Just my 2 cents. No offense intended for any one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->