The Olympic Gold Medal Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Larionov Fan said:
Very underwhelming? Better go to dictionary.com, because that is a terrible description. If anything they >>look<< overwhelming. That is obviously not the case, but their firepower is intimidating. The US will not finish ahead of Slovakia this year. Ricky D is a below average goalie in this tournament, as is Budaj (or other Slovakian starter), but the difference is that Slovakia has a #1 d pairing that is better than the entire US d core. The forwards speak for themselves, although it's unfortunate Palffy retired from international hockey.

You're out of your mind. There is NO way Slovakia is better than the U.S. Chara's a great player, but he's just one guy. That was proven in the World Cup. Budaj is also the worst goalie in the tourney.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Rabid Ranger said:
You're out of your mind. There is NO way Slovakia is better than the U.S. Chara's a great player, but he's just one guy. That was proven in the World Cup. Budaj is also the worst goalie in the tourney.

yes, Chara is just one guy, but I would take Slovakia's forwards over the US anyday. and that's with Palffy missing.

and Budaj is no slouch.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think Canada, Czech Republic and Russia are going to medal - what order? I won't even try to guess. I think they're the three top teams - the class of the Games. I look at the players on these teams and figure the only thing separating them is desire. Who will want it more. Russia may lack a little grit but on the big ice that may mean nothing. Canada may be a little too old on defence but other than that these 3 teams have no weaknesses.

Finland and Sweden are next.

Slovakia and the USA

and Germany pulling up the rear.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
I´d rank them in two different ranking groups. Those in the first group with a chance of gold medal and those in the second group that should aim for bronze at most:

1. Canada, Russia, Czech
2. Finland, USA, Slovakia, Sweden

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lindros_for_rizzle_ said:
I´d rank them in two different ranking groups. Those in the first group with a chance of gold medal and those in the second group that should aim for bronze at most:

1. Canada, Russia, Czech
2. Finland, USA, Slovakia, Sweden

My rankings would be the same except I'd place Sweden in the first group.

Last edited:

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
AvsGuy said:
yes, Chara is just one guy, but I would take Slovakia's forwards over the US anyday. and that's with Palffy missing.

and Budaj is no slouch.

True !!

Peter Bondra, Pavol Demitra, Marian Gaborik, Marcel Hossa, Marian Hossa, Ladislav Nagy, Miroslav Satan, Marek Svatos.... that's All-Star material !

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I think Sweden will be in the final, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win it. Obviously, a lot depends on Lundqvist, but i think he'll do better than Salo did in Salt Lake.

Look at their top 6 forwards: Forsberg, Naslund, Sundin, Alfredsson, Modin, Zetterberg. I'd honestly take that over any other team's top 6 in the tournament.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
sonnytheman said:
I think Sweden will be in the final, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win it. Obviously, a lot depends on Lundqvist, but i think he'll do better than Salo did in Salt Lake.

Look at their top 6 forwards: Forsberg, Naslund, Sundin, Alfredsson, Modin, Zetterberg. I'd honestly take that over any other team's top 6 in the tournament.

Modin and Zetterberg aren't all that great. pretty darn good top 6 though.

but you'd take that forward set over one that includes Jarome Iginla, Todd Bertuzzi, Rick Nash, Vincent Lecavalier, Joe Thornton and Simon Gagne? I'd be hard pressed to find a better team, on paper, than Canada. we'll see how they match up on the ice, I guess.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
AvsGuy said:

but you'd take that forward set over one that includes Jarome Iginla, Todd Bertuzzi, Rick Nash, Vincent Lecavalier, Joe Thornton and Simon Gagne? I'd be hard pressed to find a better team, on paper, than Canada. we'll see how they match up on the ice, I guess.

You'r right... Zetterberg is horrible..
Dude, have you been watching hockey this season ???

espo*

AvsGuy said:

Zetterberg's a good player,he's tricky.But no,i would'nt take their forwards over ours at all.I'd sure take Peter and Alfie though.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
interminded said:
You'r right... Zetterberg is horrible..
Dude, have you been watching hockey this season ???

i didn't say he was horrible, i said he wasn't that great. I sure wouldn't take him over any of Canada's top 6 forwards.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Rabid Ranger said:
Sure he does. Lundqvist is a rookie playing behind a great defense and Khabibulin has been HORRIBLE this year. Of course DiPietro compares favorably to them. I'll give you Kiprusoff, but he's not what I would consider light years ahead.

That is a completely ridiculous statement.

How is your defense great when your number 1 guy is Mikeal Roszival, who wasnt wanted by the Pittsburgh Penguins who have the worst GAA in the league, iirc.

Lundquist makes that D looks great and thats the end of the story here.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
sonnytheman said:

Foresberg 50
Naslund 40
Zetterberg 35
Modin 25
Sundin 19
Total: 229

Datsyuk 42
Ovechkin 39
Frolov 36
Yashin 33
Kozlov 32
Total: 228

Thats the NHL Top 6.... Malkin would have more points than Ovechkin!!!

Coffee and 7's*

Slitty said:
Foresberg 50
Naslund 40
Zetterberg 35
Modin 25
Sundin 19

Datsyuk 42
Ovechkin 39
Frolov 36
Yashin 33
Kozlov 32

What is your point? The Russians have less points than the Swedes...

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
dakdak said:
What is your point? The Russians have less points than the Swedes...

I think Ovechkins 39 to Naslunds 40 says it all ! Its your last chance to win the olympics guys ;)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Slitty said:
Foresberg 50
Naslund 40
Zetterberg 35
Modin 25
Sundin 19

Datsyuk 42
Ovechkin 39
Frolov 36
Yashin 33
Kozlov 32

Well for starters, you can't just look at the total points. That gives you one perspective.

For instance Canada's total 6

Heatly 49
Thornton 49
Gagne 41
Richards 40
Sakic 37
Lecavalier 35

Total 251

However the brain trust didn't pick these players
Staal 49
Spezza 47
McCabe 47
Marleau 40
Shanahan 38
Tanguay 38

Total 259

Lest we forget Crosby 37

This tells me team Canada management was looking at other things besides points. So when you look at the top six, you can't judge them by how many points they've got.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Slitty said:
Foresberg 50
Naslund 40
Zetterberg 35
Modin 25
Sundin 19

Datsyuk 42
Ovechkin 39
Frolov 36
Yashin 33
Kozlov 32

Come on, Sundin and Modin? Should be the Sedins in there! Sedin+Sedin = 60 points, compared to 44 from Sundin and Modin. Though seriously to be fair Sundin's been injured half the season. Don't underestimate Sweden's third line though, the Sedins have finally developed into solid players this year. Just too bad they're not bringing Holmstrom.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I feel so unoriginal. This seems to be the general consensus of the board. Especially with regards to the gold medal game.

Gold- Canada
Silver- Czech Republic
Bronze- Russia
4th- Finland
5th- Sweden
6th- USA
7th- Slovakia
8th- Germany

reaper

May 1, 2005
Finland before Sweden must be a joke unless your basing it on Swedens earlier olympic tournaments. Sweden is way better than Finland on paper and basically the second best behind Canada. I'm not saying will get a medal but i think on paper the gold is between Canada and Sweden. I think four teams will battle for the medals, Canada, Sweden, Russia and the chechs.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
reaper said:
Finland before Sweden must be a joke unless your basing it on Swedens earlier olympic tournaments. Sweden is way better than Finland on paper and basically the second best behind Canada. I'm not saying will get a medal but i think on paper the gold is between Canada and Sweden. I think four teams will battle for the medals, Canada, Sweden, Russia and the chechs.

Or maybe it´s you who should take your biased glasses off. Finlands roster is overall on par with Sweden plus that Finland is more solid as a team. Swedens defensive line-up is a joke. And calling Swedens roster basically second is also a joke. At most they are one notch below Russia and Czech on paper, but on the ice all these teams mentioned Finland, Czech and Russia are way better than Sweden. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut unless Selanne, Belarus or Czech republic will teach you otherwise again, because it seems you didn´t get enough from the last lessons they gave you in '98, '02 and '04. :cry:

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lindros_for_rizzle_ said:
Or maybe it´s you who should take your biased glasses off. Finlands roster is overall on par with Sweden plus that Finland is more solid as a team. Swedens defensive line-up is a joke. And calling Swedens roster basically second is also a joke. At most they are one notch below Russia and Czech on paper, but on the ice all these teams mentioned Finland, Czech and Russia are way better than Sweden. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut unless Selanne, Belarus or Czech republic will teach you otherwise again, because it seems you didn´t get enough from the last lessons they gave you in '98, '02 and '04. :cry: :D

One word: Lundqvist. :teach:

Edit: I mean they didn't have a very good goalie in '98, '02 and '04. Well, Salo was pretty good in Nagano, but so was Selänne. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->