GOLD - Canada
SILVER - Czech
BRONZE - Sweden
4th - Russia
5th Finland
6th - USA
7th - Slovakia
8th - Germany

The rest don't really matter or have a chance. Unless Belarus gets a hold of Sweden again!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
Rabid Ranger as usual brings the most hilariuous homerism to international hockey threads:

Medals in the last two olympics (which is better than the USA has done) is "bombing out" apparently.

Another lazy stereotypical comment, and fairly irrelevant. Russia's forwards are way ahead of the USA's. Ovechkin has more talent AND grit than most of the USA roster.

Have you bothered to check Dipietro's? He's playing horribly and unlike Khabibulin doesn't have a Stanley Cup to fall back on.

The Rangers' defense is hardly "great". And while he may be a rookie, he's been playing professional hockey almost as long as Dipietro. It's not like Dipietro is some playoff-tested veteran.

As above, if Khabibulin has been HORRIBLE, then Dipietro has been HORRIBLE as well. Or maybe just Horrible.

What exactly has Dipietro done to even be mentioned in the same breath as Kiprusoff? I suppose Hasek isn't light years ahead of Dipietro either.

So who exactly are they guaranteed to finish ahead of? They could very easily finish 7th, depending on who they draw in the medal round. They could also finish higher, of course.

1) I'm not just talking about the Olympics, I'm talking about World Championships and World Cups. IMO, Russia has been very underwhelming.

2) I'll acknowledge medals in the last two Olympics, although the U.S. did beat Russia in Salt Lake City and took the silver. Russia underperformed in those games for sure. The U.S. also beat Russia in the World Cup.

3) Grit and determination are irrellevant? Many of the Russian NHL players are some of the laziest, inconsistent, and heartless players around. Several of them will be on the Olympic Team. It's a "stereotype" that has merit. Ovechkin is one notable exception, although I wouldn't say he has more grit than anyone on the U.S. team.

4) Rick DiPietro hasn't played horribly. He's been inconsistent this year, but any Isles fan will tell you the defense in front of him blows. Khabibulin has been one of the great busts of the free agent market and shows no sign of improvement.

5) The Rangers defense has been exceptional this year. Lundqvist (and Weekes) deserves some of the credit for that, but as a group they've played pretty well.

6) I'll acknowledge that Kipprusof gets the nod over DiPietro. I never brought Hasek into the discussion.

7) You're right, the U.S. isn't guarenteed to finish ahead of anyone. I just think that many people are picking on the U.S. squad, much of it out of ignorance, while failing to acknowledge the flaws with several of the other rosters.

For the record, I don't think the U.S. is going to win gold, and it doesn't have a top four roster. I do think the team is being underestimated a fair bit though, and is a contender for a medal.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
King Henry I said:
:eek: You don't think that DiPietro even compares to 'Bulin or Lundqvist? Lundqvist has been great but he is a rookie part-time player who has a much better defensive team in front of him and is every bit as inconsistent as the more tested DiPietro. And Khabibulin has been downright awful this season.

Kipper easily wins that one but he's the only one. I am absolutely stunned by the amount of hate that DiPietro has garnered seemingly out of nowhere since the Olympic team was named.

Lundqvist is a proven player. He was the MVP in the Swedish Elite league last season. Beating out many NHL players and goaltenders. He also led his team to a league championship.

As for the bulin wall, are you joking? Simply put Nikoali has a stanley cup ring and DP does not. I can see your an Islanders fan so let me remind you what goalie completley stole games from the Islanders in the first round of the 2004 playoffs. Oh yeah thats right Nikolia Khabibulin.

DiPietro is going to be under a lot of pressure, he may not even be the starter. USA is doomed in goal, its amazing that with Mike Richter they were always set. No way that USA gets silver without Richter in 2002. You think DiPietro can do that?

DP has never heven won 30 games in a season yet, he unproven.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
...well...

I wonder......Why everybody keeps saying that Sweden takes a medal. It's pretty likely that Canada will win the gold medals but positions between 2 and 7 are very hard to predict. I personaly think that swedes aren't going to get any medals. Sure they got few solid players, but what about their lines 3 and 4, not so solid I'd say. And when it comes to their goaltendings........Well we will see....

My point of view about the olympic games standings:

1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
3. (I would like to say Finland but it's more likely) Team Russia
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. USA
7. Slovakia(becose of their very bad goalie situation)

PS. Peace swedes

PS.2 Swedes can stay home!!!!!

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
big_steve said:
Gold- Canada
Silver- Czech Republic
Bronze- Sweden
4th- Russia
5th- Finland
6th- USA
7th- Slovakia
8th- Germany

Am I the only Canadian worried about Canada's defense and goaltending? Our defence is a tad bit on the older side not to mention that a few of our defenders have been defencive liabilities this year. Brodeur is not playing good at all.

I think Hasek steals this for the Czechs

reaper

May 1, 2005
A wouldn't say that a third line with sedin sedin samuelsson is bad. Sedins have been great so far this season. Canada is the favourite to win but their D is actually not the best in the tournament, I like Swedens D better. Goaltending has also been off but they will probably get their act together until the olympics.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
rosnell said:
I wonder......Why everybody keeps saying that Sweden takes a medal. It's pretty likely that Canada will win the gold medals but positions between 2 and 7 are very hard to predict. I personaly think that swedes aren't going to get any medals. Sure they got few solid players, but what about their lines 3 and 4, not so solid I'd say. And when it comes to their goaltendings........Well we will see....

1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. USA

PS. Peace swedes

oh please, a few solid players? :shakehead

and we got 4 solid lines right?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
i think both Russia and the U.S.A are going to greatly disappoint since the last Olympics.

the U.S. roster is simply too old, and the goaltending is simply sub-par. considering that they had a strong team 4 years ago, I have no idea how that team can look so poor today. in 4 years time, you need to make a few upgrades, and IMO, they made none. DiPietro won't carry them, thats a certainty.

I don't see Russia as a huge challenge beyond Ovechkin. there are teams out there with enough big defenders to shut him down, and the rest of the Russian team just never seems to care enough. Khabibulin could light it up, but from what we've seen this year, it doesn't look like he will.

I think Canada will take the Gold because they have such a strong team. They don't look as fancy to me as 2002's team, but they look a lot bigger. Guys like Tood Bertuzzi, Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton and Rick Nash will push teams around. As long as the same effort is there from 2002, the same result should be. It's really their's to lose, i think...

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
1-Canada
2-Finland
3-Sweden
4-Czech Republic
5-USA
6-Russia
7-Slovakia

I think Kiprusoff is gonna pull a mini 98 Hasek and carry the Fins to the finals, but will be unable to stop Canada.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
BeerTuzzi said:
Am I the only Canadian worried about Canada's defense and goaltending? Our defence is a tad bit on the older side not to mention that a few of our defenders have been defencive liabilities this year. Brodeur is not playing good at all.

I think Hasek steals this for the Czechs
You probably are the only one. Pat Quinn said yesterday that this may be the finest group of defencemen that Canada has ever sent to a best on best tourney. They have everything from leadership, to scoring ability from the point to physical play. You can't show me another roster with better defencemen 1-7. I'm not concerned about Brodeur at all.

greatwhite101*

weaponomega said:
1-Canada
2-Finland
3-Sweden
4-Czech Republic
5-USA
6-Russia
7-Slovakia

I think Kiprusoff is gonna pull a mini 98 Hasek and carry the Fins to the finals, but will be unable to stop Canada.

Maaaan stop thinking. Kiprusoff is not on the team.

greatwhite101*

AvsGuy said:
I think Canada will take the Gold because they have such a strong team. They don't look as fancy to me as 2002's team, but they look a lot bigger. Guys like Tood Bertuzzi, Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton and Rick Nash will push teams around. As long as the same effort is there from 2002, the same result should be. It's really their's to lose, i think...

Same effort as 2002? Did you even watch anything in 2002? If not for huge upset of Belorus against (I believe) Finland, Canada would't make finals. THey had one good game aganist USA.
That year I had more respect for USA team. At least they beat Russia. Sorry

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
RUS said:
Same effort as 2002? Did you even watch anything in 2002? If not for huge upset of Belorus against (I believe) Finland, Canada would't make finals. THey had one good game aganist USA.

fair enough. fact of the matter is, they had one good game when it counted. more than anyone can say for any of the other teams. if the U.S. was the best team that year, they would have taken home the Gold medal.

and it was Belarus against Sweden.

greatwhite101*

AvsGuy said:
fair enough. fact of the matter is, they had one good game when it counted. more than anyone can say for any of the other teams. if the U.S. was the best team that year, they would have taken home the Gold medal.

and it was Belarus against Sweden.

Well ok.. I was not sure who it was. but do not come and say like Canada dominated 2002. IMO they got lucky. They have a better team now if anything. I mean I remember Lindros could not do anything on the ice. Mario had problems and missed one game etc etc etc

come on Belarus made more noise... then 2002 Canada team

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Amazing Oopah said:
Canada will defeat Sweden for the gold :D

Most certainly, if both of them reaches the final, that is. The swedes don't have the mental toughness to break the psychological advantage Canada has built up on them the past 3-4 years. In any case, I don't think Sweden will reach the semis. We have a weak unphysical D and a bunch of forwards that probably will play too offensive. Anybody remember the World Cup 1-6 schellacking game against the Czechs? Thats how you beat Team Sweden.

espo*

RUS said:
Canada played great against Finland in 2002,it's like you did'nt even watch the game,Hurme played super to keep the game close,Canada was all over them for much of the game.Got lucky eh? Yeah,we always get so lucky,funny how we keep getting so lucky for the past 80 f'in years.

KH1

TheChief said:
Lundqvist is a proven player. He was the MVP in the Swedish Elite league last season. Beating out many NHL players and goaltenders. He also led his team to a league championship.

I will give you that, Lundqvist was amazing the SEL. Then again so was Mattias Weinhandl but you wouldn't choose him over Eric Staal would you?

As for the bulin wall, are you joking? Simply put Nikoali has a stanley cup ring and DP does not. I can see your an Islanders fan so let me remind you what goalie completley stole games from the Islanders in the first round of the 2004 playoffs. Oh yeah thats right Nikolia Khabibulin.

Don't make me laugh. Either you have a really, really short memory or you are one of those people who makes claims about games that they never saw and only read the box score in. How can you say that Khabibulin was the only goalie who stole a game in that series when DiPietro shut Tampa Bay out in game 2??? He would've stolen 2 games from the #1 seeded cup champions if Eric Cairns didn't turn the puck over in front of his own net twice in game 1.

In any case the Khabibulin of 2004 is not the same goalie that we've seen this year. If you look at the stats he and DiPietro are comparable but in terms of actual play it has not even been close. At all.

DiPietro is going to be under a lot of pressure, he may not even be the starter. USA is doomed in goal, its amazing that with Mike Richter they were always set. No way that USA gets silver without Richter in 2002. You think DiPietro can do that?

DP has never heven won 30 games in a season yet, he unproven.

First of all DiPietro will without question be the starter.

Secondly how can you say that DiPietro is unproven but Lundqvist is proven??? DiPietro has already represented his country very well in the Worlds, played very well in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and led an AHL team to the Calder Cup Finals. Granted he's far from the most proven goalie in the tourney but your logic seems so backwards to me that I can't even comprehend what's going on in your mind unless Rick DiPietro ran over your dog or something.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
rosnell said:

1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. USA

PS. Peace swedes

Ha ha, I love your sarkasm...:)

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Chara played that much in the World Cup and that didn't keep the Slovaks from being ousted by the U.S. in the quarters. They have a very underwhelimg roster.

Very underwhelming? Better go to dictionary.com, because that is a terrible description. If anything they >>look<< overwhelming. That is obviously not the case, but their firepower is intimidating. The US will not finish ahead of Slovakia this year. Ricky D is a below average goalie in this tournament, as is Budaj (or other Slovakian starter), but the difference is that Slovakia has a #1 d pairing that is better than the entire US d core. The forwards speak for themselves, although it's unfortunate Palffy retired from international hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad