The Olympic Gold Medal Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Even though I'm still totally dumbfounded Hamrlik wasn't picked (at least not yet)...

I'm going with the Czech Republic. :dunno:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada's still the favorite. They are deeper, bigger and stronger than anyone at every position.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
Oh yeah, I voted for Sweden.

After their horrible outing in SLC, they want to prove something.
They got a steady, well-balanced team with a offensive force that is difficult to match.
I say Sweden !

Canada has a major weak part in its defense, IMO.
Blake , Jovanoski and Foote are not having their best season's, to put it mildly.
And in lesser extent the same can be said for Pronger and Redden.

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm serious when i say that if Chara plays 35-40 mins (and holds up), and the goalie can keep it to 4 goals or less per game, Slovakia makes the medal round.

That being said, I see Sweden as the team to beat (now that they seemingly have goaltending)

Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Slovakia/Czech Rep. (will be best game of the tourney)
5th - Russia
6th - Finland
7th - USA

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Canada is my choice they have by far the best team on paper. I would guess it will depend on how well the goalies play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Larionov Fan said:
I'm serious when i say that if Chara plays 35-40 mins (and holds up), and the goalie can keep it to 4 goals or less per game, Slovakia makes the medal round.

That being said, I see Sweden as the team to beat (now that they seemingly have goaltending)

Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
5th - Russia
6th - Finland
7th - USA

There is no way the U.S. is the 7th team in this tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Larionov Fan said:

Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
5th - Russia
6th - Finland
7th - USA

Chara played that much in the World Cup and that didn't keep the Slovaks from being ousted by the U.S. in the quarters. They have a very underwhelimg roster.

KariyaIsGod*

interminded said:
Oh yeah, I voted for Sweden.

After their horrible outing in SLC, they want to prove something.
They got a steady, well-balanced team with a offensive force that is difficult to match.
I say Sweden !

Canada has a major weak part in its defense, IMO.
Blake , Jovanoski and Foote are not having their best season's, to put it mildly.
And in lesser extent the same can be said for Pronger and Redden.

:biglaugh:

Weak seasons or not, that group is vastly superior to any other country's defense...

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
There is no way the U.S. is the 7th team in this tournament.
I agree.

Gold-Canada
Silver-Czech Rep.
Bronze-Sweden
4th-Russia
5th-Finland
6th-USA
7th-Slovakia
8th-Germany

Tough to win without a goalie.
I'm a Canucks fan...so I know a lot about that...

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
DrMoses said:
:biglaugh:

Weak seasons or not, that group is vastly superior to any other country's defense...

I do not think so.
The Swedes and the Czechs have also a solid defense.

Superior is a big word, vastly even more.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Canada enters this tournament as the team to beat. Twenty of the players on the team were picked for the World Cup team that won only 15 months ago. Twelve players were on the 2002 Gold Medal team at the Olympics.

But this is far from an easy tournament. The Czechs have two elite goaltenders and lots of offence up front. Their only weakness is their defence (that's nothing new), but Hasek and Vokoun should be able to bail them out. The Czechs will make it to the gold medal game.

Finland has much of the same team back that went to the World Cup final. I still think the Czechs are a better team this year, but don't ever underestimate a team with Kiprusoff in net. Lots of grit, toughness and hustle. They'll be playing for a medal.

Sweden? Never thought I'd say this about the Swedes, but it depends which Swedish team shows up. Lots of veteran talent, and Lundquist gives them strong goaltending. (Although still not as good as Canada, Finland or the Czechs). Keep in mind that goaltending is NOT the reason the Swedes lost 6-1 to the Czechs last year in the World Cup. Underachieving from everyone not named Modin was.

If Khabibulin is on Russia, they're dangerous. Lots of firepower up front. Like the Czechs, defence will be their weakness. We'll see how the Russian kiddie corps (winners of three WJC gold medals and several silvers the past eight years) holds up.

U.S.? Transition year. Not even a lot of young talent on the team, mostly inexperienced guys in their late 20s/early 30s. Still, DiPietro, as inconsistent as he is, can steal a game. Slovakia? Always fun to watch with their offensive players, and the defence is improving every four years, but Budaj can't keep up.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
interminded said:
Allright, all the "major" roster are known !

What do you think ?

Is Canada going to have back-to-back Olympic medals or is another team going to win that precious golden medal ?

I'm saying yes, because they are the deepest team.

I'd pick the gold medal odds something like:

Canada 60%
Russia 13%
Sweden 12%
Czech 5%
USA 5%
Finland 2.5%
Slovakia 2.5%
Germany 0.OOOOO1% they might be able to win a game or two, but won't win the 3 straight needed for a gold.

I'd say Canada wins a medal of some color for sure....and thats the only team I'm willing to say will definatly medal.

I'll also say 2 of Russia, Sweden and Czech will medal.

Russia could falter due to inexperience, tho. I hope not...would like to see Russia and Sweden(Go Red Wings!) do well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->