The old format was better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
The old format was better.

I wish they would go back to the old 1996 World Cup format of a best out of 3 championship rather than one championship game. and I also wish they went to having games in more North American venues. I remember watching Russia vs Canada at GM Place back in 1996 and its a damn shame I will not be able to expierience that this year.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Yes best of three is always better than a single game, it's more fair that way, if a team wins 2 out of three games they're better but any team can win a single game if they're having a good day (or the other team having a bad day).

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Dan Galvin said:
Best of three is the way to go. I wonder why they changed it? :shakehead

I also wonder why. To me, this tournament seemed really scaled back from the prior Canada Cups and World Cup 1996.

All three games of the final in World Cup 1996 was classic. I remember the Americans beat Canada in overtime one night, after the puck went off Desjardins and past Joseph. Game 3 had suspense until Amonte beat Joseph late in the 3rd.

I wish they went back to the 3 game format.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
I agree with the 3 game final, more of a spectacle, but this is just simply a shorter format . As for playing in more North american venues, why? Its a world cup, i think its fair to stage a fair chunk of the games in other hockey countries.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I had not realised they were going to change it.

One can argue that having just one game is more dramatic, but I'd prefer the best of three format.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
I also wonder why. To me, this tournament seemed really scaled back from the prior Canada Cups and World Cup 1996.

All three games of the final in World Cup 1996 was classic. I remember the Americans beat Canada in overtime one night, after the puck went off Desjardins and past Joseph. Game 3 had suspense until Amonte beat Joseph late in the 3rd.

I wish they went back to the 3 game format.
Game 3 of the 96 World Cup is my favourite hockey game ever. :teach:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Toonces said:
I had not realised they were going to change it.

One can argue that having just one game is more dramatic, but I'd prefer the best of three format.

I wouldn't say that having one game is more dramatic. It's even more boring cause teams don't want to make any mistakes and play more cautiously. If you have 3 games then you see real action - like in 96' or even better in 87'!

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
They added extra quarterfinal games to this tourney and wanted to shorten the length of the tourney to appease both the players and owners. I would like a 4 out of 7 for a final but we all know that will not happen so i'll be thankful we are getting a World Cup and hope we get one in four years time not eight. By the way i really enjoyed the two out of three in 96 - game 1 is on ESPN classic Canada right now. Derian Hatcher acting as Mr. Snippy- Two goals.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
lthough I'm a bigger fan of the one game championship in tournaments like this, having the 3 game format helped give the tournament its uniqueness from the Olympics. However, I can understand it from a TV and marketing persepctive. It is much easier to sell one game than to sell 3, especially to the U.S. TV audience they want.

And an NHL rules championship just can't be done with 1 game. It seems to wierd.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
SSJTOM said:
I'm still pissed off by the piece of crap throphy.

I agree completely! Poor winner... Imagine you're the captain of the winning team and you have to raise it. Players should be proud of winning that trophy which is sybolic reward for playing good at that tournament. So when you win and get such crap you think to yourself that someone is making fun of you and your team.

Russell

Feb 29, 2004
T-DOT
Old and busted

usa_wc96_trophy.jpg

New Hotness

frank_gehry_worldcup2004_trophy.jpg

(I think they both suck!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events