The Oilers WILL take RNH First Overall

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Yeah, how dare I look past points....
For the record I never said the top 20 Dmen were the top 20 Dmen in points. I just used the top 20 in points as an easy reference point.

Top centers rarely hit free agency and almost never get traded. It's much easier to aquire top Dmen. Just ask the Flyers(Pronger and Timonen) and Bruins(Chara and Kaberle).

Of the top 20 centers(in points)
only Joe Thornton, Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro have been moved since the lockout. Thornton was rare blockbuster and Richards was a victim of the cap but Riberio wasn't the player he is today. What are the odds of Crosby, Stamkos, Backstrom, Sedin, Kopitar, Tavares, Toews, Staal, Getzlaf or Richards getting moved in the next 5-10 years? Not very good.

Of the top 20 Dmen in points, 9 of them have changed teams since the lockout. 10 if you include Jack Johnson. Plus it looks like Liles' days in Colorado are coming to an end and there have been rumors that Weber may leave Nashville when he's a UFA.

So quit patting yourself on the back for "looking past points". Do you really feel like debating over who the "official" top 20 Dmen in the NHL are until we come up with a list everyone can agree on just to see which have been traded or hit free agency? Isn't it much easier to just use the top point producers and understand that while some of those names may not actually be in the top 20, it's still a list of good players that was easy to come by. Again, just a little common sense would be nice.

I'm slowly shifting from Larsson to RNH. A line of Hall - RNH - Eberle would be unreal. And im scared that if we draft Larsson, we end up like Calgary.
The only way we'll be Calgary is if Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and RNH/Larsson ended up not being a good enough core to win a cup but they're still our core 15-20 years from now.

Last edited:

zeus3007*

Goes both ways though, nobody is going to hand you a #1 defenseman.

At this point, I believe I've read that the defensemen in the 2012 draft are better. Oilers would be smart to draft RNH. They'll probably be in the bottom 5 again next year if they still have the same defense/goaltending (which is not bad to have if you want to tank), so just draft a defenseman next year.

Oilers #1 defensemen since the lockout - Chris Pronger, Lubomir Visnovsky, Joni Pitkanen, Sheldon Souray (points wise), Ryan Whitney

Oilers Top Line Center since Doug Weight left - Mike Comrie, Shawn Horcoff, Sam Gagner.

Which one seems like a harder hole to fill? I'd say the center position. I'd take any of the d-men on that list except Souray over any of the centers.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Oilers #1 defensemen since the lockout - Chris Pronger, Lubomir Visnovsky, Joni Pitkanen, Sheldon Souray (points wise), Ryan Whitney

Oilers Top Line Center since Doug Weight left - Mike Comrie, Shawn Horcoff, Sam Gagner.

Which one seems like a harder hole to fill? I'd say the center position. I'd take any of the d-men on that list except Souray over any of the centers.
I'm going to throw a name out there that is going to remove all credibility from your post. Mike York :sarcasm:

Comrie, York, Horcoff and Gagner. We're overflowing with #1 centermen.

MPStoEberletoHall*

The more I hear about RNH the more I want the Oilers to grab this guy.

Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle
Omark-Gagner-Paajarvi
Jones-Lander-Hartikainen
Reddox-Free Agent-JFJ

Whitney-Hamilton
Petry-Free Agent
Gilbert-Peckham

I see the Oilers trading Hemsky,Smid and Oilers 31st pick for a pick in the top 10.. so they can pick Hamilton.

they come out of the draft with RNH, Hamilton, Oleksiak:handclap:

I also see them signing Konopka and a Vet D-man

arsmaster*

Omark-Gagner-Paajarvi
Jones-Lander-Hartikainen
Reddox-Free Agent-JFJ

Whitney-Hamilton
Petry-Free Agent
Gilbert-Peckham

I see the Oilers trading Hemsky,Smid and Oilers 31st pick for a pick in the top 10.. so they can pick Hamilton.

Hope that isnt next years tentative lineup, unless a 3rd successive 1st overall selection is the goal.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This thread is utterly idiotic because you don't even know if the Oilers will get first overall!!!!!! There is that thing called the lottery which could bump the Oil back to the #2 pick.

After the lottery is over and if the Oilers win, then its a different story.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

Omark-Gagner-Paajarvi
Jones-Lander-Hartikainen
Reddox-Free Agent-JFJ

Whitney-Hamilton
Petry-Free Agent
Gilbert-Peckham

Konopka's staying. And would you really trade that much for Dougie Hamilton? Hemsky and Smid are pretty freakin' good.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Isn't it much easier to just use the top point producers and understand that while some of those names may not actually be in the top 20, it's still a list of good players that was easy to come by. Again, just a little common sense would be nice.

It's easier and it may be a good list for centers cause you as s top center you have to produce. But to be a top dman producing isn't a must and a top 20 list just isn't accurate. You take away byfulien wisneiwski goligoski ehrhoff because its debatable that these guys are top 20 and nine becomes five. There's a few other guys in there that I wouldn't consider top 20 but others may so I'll leave them in there. Using the top 20 in points for defense isn't a great indicator but supports your opinion so I don't expect you to dismiss it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Its actually interesting to see that the Oilers acquired a high value dman basically every year since the lockout. Never thought about it in those terms

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
Not if Edmonton loses the lottery and some other team takes him first overall.It seems very likely that the team that is in 30th overall is going to lose it this year since for the last few years the 30th place team has won it.

This doesn't affect the lottery at all, unless it's rigged which I don't believe.

If you flip a coin 5 times in a row and it's heads every time is it more likely to be tails next time? No.

:teach2:

zeus3007*

I'm going to throw a name out there that is going to remove all credibility from your post. Mike York :sarcasm:

Comrie, York, Horcoff and Gagner. We're overflowing with #1 centermen.

Ummm...Mike York was clearly PRE lockout. Get with the times man. :naughty:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
It's easier and it may be a good list for centers cause you as s top center you have to produce. But to be a top dman producing isn't a must and a top 20 list just isn't accurate. You take away byfulien wisneiwski goligoski ehrhoff because its debatable that these guys are top 20 and nine becomes five. There's a few other guys in there that I wouldn't consider top 20 but others may so I'll leave them in there. Using the top 20 in points for defense isn't a great indicator but supports your opinion so I don't expect you to dismiss it.
I think it's easier for you to over complicate my evidence so you can dismiss it but it's odd that you haven't backed up your opinion. You've only tried to discredit mine. Feel free to put in the necessary work to prove me wrong. If a points list is to simple for you then go ahead and offer up more. Lets see the evidence supporting your opinion that it's just as difficult to land a top 20 Dman as it is to land a top 20 center.

Dancevic *

Pretty amazing that the Oilers hadn't had a first-overall pick until last year's entry draft, and are now picking first overall two years in a row.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Some poster in here said a few months ago (Oil fan I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) that the most succes Edmonton has had in a decade was on the back of Chris Pronger. Wise words. I'd take Larsson.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Here to teach huh ?

Is the probability of netting 6 straight heads better than notching a tail on a single toss ? Nope...

I don't believe that was the point. The point was that the previous five lottery results have no effect on how the lottery will turn out in two weeks, as the original poster was suggesting.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
This thread is utterly idiotic because you don't even know if the Oilers will get first overall!!!!!! There is that thing called the lottery which could bump the Oil back to the #2 pick.

After the lottery is over and if the Oilers win, then its a different story.
I don't see what's so idiotic about it. The point was that the OP feels the Oilers first choice is RNH. I don't know why people are so quick to be negative.

Some poster in here said a few months ago (Oil fan I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) that the most succes Edmonton has had in a decade was on the back of Chris Pronger. Wise words. I'd take Larsson.
Pronger was amazing but it wasn't just him. Roloson was equally deserving of the Conn Smythe that season and adding a 50 goal scorer(Pisani: 14 goals in 24 games) to the 3rd line didn't hurt either.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Then trade him for Pronger? I don't understand your point.

He is just stating that the Oilers had better success lately with a real number-one defenseman than with a number-one centerman.

Oilers were pretty good for an upset in the playoffs during the Weight years that's also true !

I would still take Larsson if I was the Oilers GM... They have the wingers to offset their lack of an elite centerman. They won't ever get another chance to draft a prospect comparable to Larsson on the blue-line. Larsson is the best D prospect in a draft since Ed Jovanovski... He should go number one IMO

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Then trade him for Pronger? I don't understand your point.

He is just stating that the Oilers had better success lately with a real number-one defenseman than with a number-one centerman.

Oilers were pretty good for an upset in the playoffs during the Weight years that's also true !

I would still take Larsson if I was the Oilers GM... They have the wingers to offset their lack of an elite centerman. They won't ever get another chance to draft a prospect comparable to Larsson on the blue-line. Larsson is the best D prospect in a draft since Ed Jovanovski... He should go number one IMO

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Seriously though 1 goal and 9 points? I dont care what league you play in, if you want to go first overall the stats need to be better than that.

I take RNH and run.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think it's easier for you to over complicate my evidence so you can dismiss it but it's odd that you haven't backed up your opinion. You've only tried to discredit mine. Feel free to put in the necessary work to prove me wrong. If a points list is to simple for you then go ahead and offer up more. Lets see the evidence supporting your opinion that it's just as difficult to land a top 20 Dman as it is to land a top 20 center.

It's not that it's too simple just that it's not accurate. I dont think there is a stat in which the top 20 is accurate. I could post who I feel are top 20 but obviously there's gonna be people who disagree.

I pointed out four of the nine guys who were traded as players that were not in top 20 defensemen despite their point totals. And there are others that are some may consider top 20 and others may not. My opinion is that it's not harder to aquire one over the other and I've been backing it by disproving your argument that 9 of the top 20 in points has been traded.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that its easier to obtain top flight d-men through trade than it is a top center.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that its easier to obtain top flight d-men through trade than it is a top center.

I think a team can get by with a bunch of second pairing defensemen, but top defensemen don't just grow on trees.

First you need to find a team that is willing to deal the pick. For a team that looks like it will struggle to make the playoffs next year(which is basically most teams in that 5-10 range), 1 year of Hemsky is not worth it. I am guessing at the point that package may start looking attractive(pick 8 +) to a team Hamilton will be off the board.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Seriously though 1 goal and 9 points? I dont care what league you play in, if you want to go first overall the stats need to be better than that.

I take RNH and run.

Your posts reek of ignorance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->