The Oilers WILL take RNH First Overall

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Uh, sorry guys, but didn't you hear? Don Cherry says that Ryan Murphy is going first overall. So he's going first overall. End of discussion, lock it up.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Ralfalski, Pronger and Timonen are the only ones I consider top defensemen out of the ones you mentioned and as I said earlier there is a gap in how we define a top defensmen. I don't consider Ehrhoff, Byfuglien, Hamhuis, Boyle, Streit top defensemen. Gonchar was once a top defensemen. Erik Johnson has potential to be a top defensemen. Phanuef had promise but his game dropped off before he was traded. Visnovsky and Boyle are debateable. IMO.

Look beyond statistics.

Pronger and Timonen are the best of the bunch but I think Boyle, Visnovsky, and Streit are on a similar level to Rafalski

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Not if Edmonton loses the lottery and some other team takes him first overall.It seems very likely that the team that is in 30th overall is going to lose it this year since for the last few years the 30th place team has won it.

eh I think if they get second they get the D. 1st they'll get the C

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Ralfalski, Pronger and Timonen are the only ones I consider top defensemen out of the ones you mentioned and as I said earlier there is a gap in how we define a top defensmen. I don't consider Ehrhoff, Byfuglien, Hamhuis, Boyle, Streit top defensemen. Gonchar was once a top defensemen. Erik Johnson has potential to be a top defensemen. Phanuef had promise but his game dropped off before he was traded. Visnovsky and Boyle are debateable. IMO.

Look beyond statistics.
The point is all these Dmen are valuable members of their teams were a lot of trade value and they do get moved.

Ehrhoff and Hamhuis aren't top Dmen but they were key members of one of the best groups of Dmen in the league. The Canucks were able to build that group in a couple years. They also didn't need to use a 1st round pick(nevermind 1st overall) to acquire their best defenseman, Edler.

Maybe we do have different definitions of what "top Dmen" mean but again, use some common sense and see what I'm saying. When I say top Dman I'm talking a top 20 guy. That should be obvious based on the names I'm throwing out there. Get past the termanology. A top 20 Dman is easier to acquire than a top 20 center.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Would a team like St. Louis give us a pick in the 7-8 range if the top centres are gone? Hemsky + LA 1st + Omark/Smid/EDM 2nd?

RNH/Hamilton would be a dream come true.
Larsson/Zibenejad would be a little more realistic.

KingJet*

Doubt it, I don't see it, Oilers are Planning on taking Larsson and with LA's pick they're likely to take Scheifele, but what are you guys worried about, you guys got Gagner, hes gonna be good with the Oilers, he should've been drafted higher.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The point is all these Dmen are valuable members of their teams were a lot of trade value and they do get moved.

Ehrhoff and Hamhuis aren't top Dmen but they were key members of one of the best groups of Dmen in the league. The Canucks were able to build that group in a couple years. They also didn't need to use a 1st round pick(nevermind 1st overall) to acquire their best defenseman, Edler.

Maybe we do have different definitions of what "top Dmen" mean but again, use some common sense and see what I'm saying. When I say top Dman I'm talking a top 20 guy. That should be obvious based on the names I'm throwing out there. Get past the termanology. A top 20 Dman is easier to acquire than a top 20 center.

You were very vague to start the argument and some of the names you threw out there may be top 20 in points but not what I would consider top 20 defensemen in the league. You can argue 2nd line centers are just as valuble, they get moved often. A lot of the guys you mentioned are no more then 2nd pairing guys in my opinion.

Parise09*

It's between Larssen and RNH. Ultimately they are so close to eachother that it will come down to need, i think. I don't think you can declare a BPA when they play different positions.

Parise09*

Doubt it, I don't see it, Oilers are Planning on taking Larsson and with LA's pick they're likely to take Scheifele, but what are you guys worried about, you guys got Gagner, hes gonna be good with the Oilers, he should've been drafted higher.

What? He's at best going to be a secodn line centre. We need a #1 center.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd be happy with either, but I agree with Renegade that there's just a gut feeling RNH ends up here. He will be the perfect compliment to Hall and Eberle. Its one thing to have the talent/elite-talent to put together a legit 1st line, but its an added advantage when you can home grow it and build it from the ground up. If these guys play together right from the start, who knows what kind of chemistry exists when they are in their prime. Knowing where your linemates are going to be and what they might try and do with the puck is a huge advantage - just look at the ascension of the Sedins.

Our crappy D can be addressed through UFA/trade (hopefully). No one's going to hand us a #1 center though.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'd be happy with either, but I agree with Renegade that there's just a gut feeling RNH ends up here. He will be the perfect compliment to Hall and Eberle. Its one thing to have the talent/elite-talent to put together a legit 1st line, but its an added advantage when you can home grow it and build it from the ground up. If these guys play together right from the start, who knows what kind of chemistry exists when they are in their prime. Knowing where your linemates are going to be and what they might try and do with the puck is a huge advantage - just look at the ascension of the Sedins.

Our crappy D can be addressed through UFA/trade (hopefully). No one's going to hand us a #1 center though.

Goes both ways though, nobody is going to hand you a #1 defenseman.

At this point, I believe I've read that the defensemen in the 2012 draft are better. Oilers would be smart to draft RNH. They'll probably be in the bottom 5 again next year if they still have the same defense/goaltending (which is not bad to have if you want to tank), so just draft a defenseman next year.

arsmaster*

You were very vague to start the argument and some of the names you threw out there may be top 20 in points but not what I would consider top 20 defensemen in the league. You can argue 2nd line centers are just as valuble, they get moved often. A lot of the guys you mentioned are no more then 2nd pairing guys in my opinion.

Your opinion sucks when it comes to top defensman.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Goes both ways though, nobody is going to hand you a #1 defenseman.

At this point, I believe I've read that the defensemen in the 2012 draft are better. Oilers would be smart to draft RNH. They'll probably be in the bottom 5 again next year if they still have the same defense/goaltending (which is not bad to have if you want to tank), so just draft a defenseman next year.

St. Louis did at one point....how many #1 centers have we had since Doug Weight?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

No offense but is this one of those conversations where you're going to play stupid just to prove a point?
Did you really even need to ask that question? That post just just said it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Add Fuel to the fire.

From Terry Jones:

The Red Deer Rebels centre created the two goals to bring his team back from a 1-0 deficit to the Edmonton Oil Kings late to score a 3-1 win before a disappointing crowd of 4,964.

But the real statement he made was verbally after the game.

Nugent-Hopkins came out and said he wants to be drafted by the Edmonton Oilers.

“To be drafted here and be a part of that young team would be incredible,” he said.

“It would be amazing to be an Edmonton Oiler.”

Link:http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/co.../17788906.html

I know this is a pretty generic response and he wouldnt completely shut down the possibility of the Oilers drafting him, but seems like he wouldnt hate going to Edmonton ;)

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Add Fuel to the fire.

From Terry Jones:

Link:http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/co.../17788906.html

I know this is a pretty generic response and he wouldnt completely shut down the possibility of the Oilers drafting him, but seems like he wouldnt hate going to Edmonton ;)

I'm slowly shifting from Larsson to RNH. A line of Hall - RNH - Eberle would be unreal. And im scared that if we draft Larsson, we end up like Calgary.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
At this point i would be fine with RNH & Morrow/Siemens with LA's pick. I hear Morrow has really high potential and is a kieth lite.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
At this point i would be fine with RNH & Morrow/Siemens with LA's pick. I hear Morrow has really high potential and is a kieth lite.

This is where I have shifted my consensus to. I like the prospect of adding either one of these young two-way studs with high ceilings of potential and great character.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Uh, sorry guys, but didn't you hear? Don Cherry says that Ryan Murphy is going first overall. So he's going first overall. End of discussion, lock it up.

Little bit different considering Cherry is irrelevant and MacGregor is the Oil's head scout...

You know this how?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
He may say a lot more about Larsson now that he's just come back from Sweden....

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm slowly shifting from Larsson to RNH. A line of Hall - RNH - Eberle would be unreal. And im scared that if we draft Larsson, we end up like Calgary.

Calgary still made it to Game 7 of the finals with either Langkow or Conroy as the #1C (cant remember which).

The rebuild (sadly) isnt over after this draft anyways.

arsmaster*

Yeah, how dare I look past points....

Yet you put Rafalski into youre elite group, even though he has been insulated by Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, and Niklas Lidstrom thoughout his career.

I would take Dan Boyle over Rafalski anyday of the week, whether that be offensively or defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad