The Oilers WILL take RNH First Overall

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I could see the take RNH with all the stud defensemen of next years draft

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Just out of curiousity....does it make sense for the Oilers to take RNH? They're supposedly small up front with Gagner, Eberle, Cogliano, Hall, Paajarvi. And they lack talent on defense. As much as they lilke RNH, it would make much, much more sense for them to go with Larsson, wouldn't it?!

In the entire system the Oilers have Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, Peckham, Petry, Marincin and Teubert as top 4 Dmen or potential top 4 Dmen. Nothing is guaranteed with prospects but they do have the upside to play in the top 4.

In the entire system the Oilers have Gagner and that's it as potential top 6 centers. One guy. People see Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and Omark and think the Oilers are set up front but down the middle is extremely weak. Prospects like Pitlick and Lander tend to get overrated within the fanbase because we really have no one else. They were 2nd round picks drafted with the expectation of turning into very good 3rd line players. People should lower their expectations and maybe hope to be surprised.

So I'd argue that it's more important that the Oilers walk away with a center in this draft. Obviously you draft the BPA but if all things are considered equal, RNH should be the Oilers guy.

...and it's not like Nugent-Hopkins is a smurf. He's not huge but but once he's around 190lbs he'll do just fine. Look at Eberle. Everyone thought he was going to get pushed around in the NHL but that hasn't been the case at all. Good players no how to protect the puck and win battles. RNH should be no different.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
The Avs, before they started to suck ass, were leading the league in GF at points during the year with games in hand on the other top teams. If they sign Flash, chances are they'll be top again (save of course another melt down season).

Would much rather have Larsson. I mean, what scares you more?

Duchene - Stastny
RNH

EJ

Or

Stastny
Duchene

EJ
Larsson

that's the kind of core you win a cup with... and be an elite team for 5+ years.
It's really doesn't matter who picks who because nugent-hopkins and larsson going to either team is a good pick.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
From my understanding of the situation:

Larsson is BPA, just barely. Dmen take 5 to 10 years to really hit their form, approximately the same time they hit UFA. Top pairing defenseman are more readily available on the trade market than #1 Centres.

Thus, there you go - you take a Centre in the top 2.

Analyzer*

No. He ASKED him what he thought about RNH, not Larsson.

Still doesn't matter. He heard a scout talk highly about a person projected to go top 4 ?That's for sure a lock.

I heard Montréal talked highly about Couturier, so that means they're going to trade with someone to get up high and draft him.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I heard that lots of people dont think RNH will be able to play 5 on 5 in the NHL.. Is that true? If the guy put on some weight, could you imagine how much better he could be

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I would also take RNH....the guy is elite.
I have seen everyone of his games this year and will be taking in his game again tonight.
Look for the Oil to acquire another top pick (top10) via trade.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Next year the Oilers may not get another chance at a #1 center, last year we passed on a #1 center to get a potentially elite winger, it's time to get us that center, and next year we can pick by position and draft a D in a draft that is said to be loaded on D. Not to mention we have LA's pick and a high 2nd round pick, who is to say that either of those won't turn out into a #1 d-man?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would also take RNH....the guy is elite.
I have seen everyone of his games this year and will be taking in his game again tonight.
Look for the Oil to acquire another top pick (top10) via trade.

Easier said that done, the only teams that I could see going for that would possibly be Columbus or Boston. None of the other clubs would be willing to part with a top 10 pick.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I heard that lots of people dont think RNH will be able to play 5 on 5 in the NHL.. Is that true? If the guy put on some weight, could you imagine how much better he could be

People love to find a negative. He does get the majority of his points on the powerplay so people try to spin it like he's a liability 5 on 5. He's not. Would it be nice if he produced more at even strength? Obviously....but why not get excited about his powerplay stats? He's so good with the man advantage. It's almost a guarantee the Rebels are going to cash in because they have RNH out there. He makes all the right decisions out there. He moves the puck quickly, draws players towards him and gets guys out of position. I swear he knows what his teammates are going to do before they do.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Easier said that done, the only teams that I could see going for that would possibly be Columbus or Boston. None of the other clubs would be willing to part with a top 10 pick.

I could see Atlanta trading their top ten pick for parts that would help them contend in the playoffs next season.

Angelus*

Hopkins weight worries me - the Oilers are a butter soft injury prone team and picking Hopkins just adds a smurf to a team full of smurfs.

And all the arguments against taking Larsson because defensemen take longer to develop is really just another reason to draft him. The Oilers need an elite defenseman BADLY, this roster just BLEEDS goals against and Larsson might not help with that right away, but a bunch of potential #4 defensemen does not = a surefire #1 defenseman. Oil fans should look no further than the 2006 playoffs to see how important a #1 defenseman is. I can't believe this is an argument, really.

Hey if Larsson isn't the BPA then by all means I hope they pick Hopkins.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Something tells me I will get sick of all the Hemsky for you top 10 pick proposals over the next few months on trade rumors board. lol

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Larsson is BPA, just barely. Dmen take 5 to 10 years to really hit their form, approximately the same time they hit UFA. Top pairing defenseman are more readily available on the trade market than #1 Centres.

That's a poor assessment of the situation. Top defenseman hit the market as often as top centers. If you rely on picking up big pieces in the UFA market good luck.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
That's a poor assessment of the situation. Top defenseman hit the market as often as top centers. If you rely on picking up big pieces in the UFA market good luck.

Top centers rarely hit free agency and almost never get traded. It's much easier to aquire top Dmen. Just ask the Flyers(Pronger and Timonen) and Bruins(Chara and Kaberle).

Of the top 20 centers(in points) only Joe Thornton, Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro have been moved since the lockout. Thornton was rare blockbuster and Richards was a victim of the cap but Riberio wasn't the player he is today. What are the odds of Crosby, Stamkos, Backstrom, Sedin, Kopitar, Tavares, Toews, Staal, Getzlaf or Richards getting moved in the next 5-10 years? Not very good.

Of the top 20 Dmen in points, 9 of them have changed teams since the lockout. 10 if you include Jack Johnson. Plus it looks like Liles' days in Colorado are coming to an end and there have been rumors that Weber may leave Nashville when he's a UFA.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
By the same token, a guy like Gagner could do a passable job as a first line center playing between 2 star wingers.

Stu definitely has his work cut out for him. It'll be an interesting draft for Oiler fans, that's for sure.

No, Gagner could not do a passable job if the Oilers intend on becoming contenders in the next few years. Putting a random center in the middle of Heatley-Kovalchuk and Kovalchuk-Hossa really worked out great for all those years.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Your basis is terrible.

You only heard him talk about RNH, but not Adam Larsson ? Kay.

It has nothing to do with Larsson. It's just the fact that it was very obvious that Stu is totally enthralled with RNH, just like anyone who scouts the WHL is. With the way he spoke about him, it becomes pretty clear that he will be atleast hotly debated to be the top choice.

I'm adding those facts along with my gut feeling, and saying that IF the Oilers pick first, they will take RNH.

On another note, I agree that Larsson is the better fit for what the Oilers need RIGHT NOW, but that doesn't mean that he will be their first choice.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Not an Oiler fan, but I hope they pick Larsson. That would be a huge pick. Their defence would be so much better. Larsson, Teubert, Plante. Starting to shape up....

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
RNH on Duchene's wing would be scary.

If anything else it'd be Duchene on RNH's wing. Duchene has been tried at wing a few times this season and has looked well. I think he looks better as a winger than a center personally. Either way I'd rather take Landeskog than RNH for the Avs. Landeskog would be beastly with Stastny.

All that being said I wouldn't be surprised if Stastny got traded if the Avs did end up with RNH. (note: not a message to leafs fans to make a trade proposal)

that's the kind of core you win a cup with... and be an elite team for 5+ years.
It's really doesn't matter who picks who because nugent-hopkins and larsson going to either team is a good pick.

Indeed. I'd just rather prefer Larsson and Landeskog; but won't cry if they got RNH.

STHLM*

Hm so you don't want Lidstrom? DRW still laughing after the 1989 draft. And yes he took some years to develop. but after 6 Norris (soon to be 7?), one Conn smythe and 4 cups DRW think he was all waiting..:help:

Larsson is the BPA and with their lack of good d -men Oilers would be stupid to pass him for RHN. If Oilers are that stupid then the next team can laughing nad say, thank you for the Norris winner... Oilers forward pool is too deep to take an another small forward.

Oilers haven't d-man since 1996. Oilers do need to understand they will not be a top team by drafting only forwards. The do need some top d talents too.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Hm so you don't want Lidstrom? DRW still laughing after the 1989 draft. And yes he took some years to develop. but after 6 Norris (soon to be 7?), one Conn smythe and 4 cups DRW think he was all waiting..:help:

Larsson is the BPA and with their lack of good d -men Oilers would be stupid to pass him for RHN. If Oilers are that stupid then the next team can laughing nad say, thank you for the Norris winner... Oilers forward pool is too deep to take an another small forward.

Oilers haven't d-man since 1996. Oilers do need to understand they will not be a top team by drafting only forwards. The do need some top d talents too.

I'm firmly in the "draft Larsson" camp, but these statements are born of hype.

There's no guarantees of what Larsson will develop into, even with all of the positive indicators.

Lidstrom was, what, a 3rd round draft pick? Even Lidstrom wasn't "Lidstrom" when the Wings drafted him and there weren't really many indicators that he would turn out as well as he has. They just happened to hit the jackpot.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland

Only ONE (1) Norris winner in the last 30 years has been drafted in the top 5 (Pronger). Lidstrom is a 2nd rounder. Your argument is terrible.

The Oilers are as weak at Centre as they are on Defense. Even this year we have three of the first 31 picks (#1, ~#20, and #31). Your chances of ringing up a Norris winning D are actually higher at the end of the first round, than at the beginning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->