The Oilers WILL take RNH First Overall

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
Of course it makes sense to pick BPA. With RNH, Hall, Eberle, Pääjärvi, Gagner they would have one of the best forwards of league. Then it's much easier to sign UFA D-men because they think the team is good and it's possible to win the cup.

:)
I hope Larsson goes first overall so Avs can get RNH.

If you go for BPA, it's clearly Larsson. But anyway, different opinions here.
What bothers me tough is your statement of "best forwards of league" Neither Eberle, Pääjärvi, nor Gagner are among the best forwards of the league and might never be. The only one I can see becoming one of the best in the league is Hall...

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
What bothers me tough is your statement of "best forwards of league" Neither Eberle, Pääjärvi, nor Gagner are among the best forwards of the league and might never be. The only one I can see becoming one of the best in the league is Hall...

I meant they could have one of the best offence groups of NHL. Like Flyers have really good forward lines with Richards, Carter, Giroux, Briere... Or like Red Wings Dats, Zeta, Franzen and so on. Oilers RNH, Hall, Pääjärvi, Eberle.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not if Edmonton loses the lottery and some other team takes him first overall.It seems very likely that the team that is in 30th overall is going to lose it this year since for the last few years the 30th place team has won it.

There is a 48% chance that the team in 30th keeps the pick. What happened last year or the year before has no impact on this.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
I meant they could have one of the best offence groups of NHL. Like Flyers have really good forward lines with Richards, Carter, Giroux, Briere... Or like Red Wings Dats, Zeta, Franzen and so on. Oilers RNH, Hall, Pääjärvi, Eberle.

Richards, Carter, Giroux and Franzen are all big. Not smallish....

But I get your point. It is a talented group, but it's a way too small group. Edmonton needs some size up front, desperately. If such a tiny group matches up against let's say the Flyers or Bruins, they're going to be eaten up alive.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!

The Avs, before they started to suck ass, were leading the league in GF at points during the year with games in hand on the other top teams. If they sign Flash, chances are they'll be top again (save of course another melt down season).

Would much rather have Larsson. I mean, what scares you more?

Duchene - Stastny
RNH

EJ

Or

Stastny
Duchene

EJ
Larsson

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
If Edmonton gets the first overall pick, they take Ryan Murphy and don't think twice. Don Cherry said so. :nod:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
The Avs, before they started to suck ass, were leading the league in GF at points during the year with games in hand on the other top teams. If they sign Flash, chances are they'll be top again (save of course another melt down season).

Would much rather have Larsson. I mean, what scares you more?

Duchene - Stastny
RNH

EJ

Or

Stastny
Duchene

EJ
Larsson

RNH on Duchene's wing would be scary.

Angelus*

The Oilers need Larsson more than Hopkins, imo. That D is atrocious and I'm not convinced that RNH is the bpa over Larsson.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
This doesn't affect the lottery at all, unless it's rigged which I don't believe.

If you flip a coin 5 times in a row and it's heads every time is it more likely to be tails next time? No.

Have you ever actually seen the lottery? I havent...all I ever see is Bill Daly going on TSN and opening the envelopes to reveal the names of the teams, but I have never ever seen the actual lottery...makes me wonder why.

6 8 5 13

Oct 26, 2009
Not if Edmonton loses the lottery and some other team takes him first overall.It seems very likely that the team that is in 30th overall is going to lose it this year since for the last few years the 30th place team has won it.

Suggested reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamblers_fallacy
-The lotteries of the past few years have no effect on this years lottery.

However, you are correct that the most likely scenario has the 30th place team NOT winning the lottery, as they have (I believe) a 48% chance of winning, and of course a 52% chance of not winning.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Just out of curiousity....does it make sense for the Oilers to take RNH? They're supposedly small up front with Gagner, Eberle, Cogliano, Hall, Paajarvi. And they lack talent on defense. As much as they lilke RNH, it would make much, much more sense for them to go with Larsson, wouldn't it?!

Not as small as you'd think

Paajarvi: 6'3"
Hall: 6'1"
Eberle: 6'
Gagner: 5'11"
Cogliano: 5'10"

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Have you ever actually seen the lottery? I havent...all I ever see is Bill Daly going on TSN and opening the envelopes to reveal the names of the teams, but I have never ever seen the actual lottery...makes me wonder why.

The draft lottery in its actuality is a ridiculously complicated series of numbered balls with certain combination of balls meaning different things. If it was televised, no one would understand it. So we have Bill Daly and cards instead.

And Pääjärvi at 6'3? :facepalm: You gotta be kidding me... he looked like a smurf compared to Penner, and Penner is 6'4.

He's not 6'3'' IMO, but hes at most 2 inches shorter than Penner, making him 6'2''.

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Richards, Carter, Giroux and Franzen are all big. Not smallish....

But I get your point. It is a talented group, but it's a way too small group. Edmonton needs some size up front, desperately. If such a tiny group matches up against let's say the Flyers or Bruins, they're going to be eaten up alive.

Richards and Giroux are both under 6 feet tall, and with Leino and Briere, that's four small forwards in the top six. They are all just good players.

I think people in edmonton equate small with unable to play... I think it's more the fact that edmonton forwards have been small, and not particularly good.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
paajarvipenner.jpg

20100901_trio-644.jpg

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
The top players are so comparable in skill and ranking that I think the Oilers would be fine with taking the kid that best fit their needs as opposed to bpa. Larsson will help shore up the defense by growing up with the Oiler youths.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The Oilers have 3 pretty good young player already with the squad. I dont know much about them, but why wouldnt they go after a young d-man to add to that? I think having a solid future blue chip defender is what they need, for the future.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Not that RNH would be a bad choice at #1, but Oilers would do a huge mistake by passing on a #1 defenseman that shots right like Larsson. I know RNH is flashy and a great prospect, but IMO Oilers are in more desperate need of a defenseman than a center.

The team that picks #2 should thank Edmonton if Larsson is still available at #2. Any team should be lucky having a player like Larsson to play on your blueline for the next decade.

If Oilers select RNH, they probably think they will end up with another high pick in 2012 to select Ebert or Murray. Think if they would get a third 1st overall pick in a row.. sick!

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The Oilers have 3 pretty good young player already with the squad. I dont know much about them, but why wouldnt they go after a young d-man to add to that? I think having a solid future blue chip defender is what they need, for the future.

Because the guy in the middle of those players changes everything...and they don't have it. I think they will go with RNH...but you can see why it's such a tough spot. The Oilers have two key spots to fill for the rebuild, despite having some great talent coming in...the two hardest spots.

What's harder/more important to fill, franchise D? Franchise center? Let's assume Stu thinks Larsson/RNH will fulfill those roles down the line. Which do you go for?

You have a chance to turn Hall into a 50 goal player if he plays alongside a guy like RNH.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Because the guy in the middle of those players changes everything...and they don't have it. I think they will go with RNH...but you can see why it's such a tough spot. The Oilers have two key spots to fill for the rebuild, despite having some great talent coming in...the two hardest spots.

What's harder/more important to fill, franchise D? Franchise center? Let's assume Stu thinks Larsson/RNH will fulfill those roles down the line. Which do you go for?

You have a chance to turn Hall into a 50 goal player if he plays alongside a guy like RNH.

By the same token, a guy like Gagner could do a passable job as a first line center playing between 2 star wingers.

Stu definitely has his work cut out for him. It'll be an interesting draft for Oiler fans, that's for sure.

Analyzer*

Your basis is terrible.

You only heard him talk about RNH, but not Adam Larsson ? Kay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad