The Oilers' Lesser Known 2010 Picks

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The Oilers are closest to the Dub, even having a WHL affiliate club, so it would make sense that the Dub would be their best opportunity to get some steals in the draft. The Oilers should absolutely take advantage of this opportunity, which they have been doing to great success recently.

I don't see why it's a dumb idea to draw from the prospect pool you know best. And you can't argue that the strategy has been negative.

This is assuming other teams don't watch the Dub as much, which is patently false seeing as the WHL is one of the biggest suppliers of talent to the NHL. So drawing from the prospect pool they know best because of their location really doesn't mean much. Why would the Dub be the best place to get steals?

The Oilers selected players they liked, which is obviously the best way to go. They happen to play in the WHL (Pitlick and Marincin wern't scouted in the WHL, they played there after being taken).

It's not really a strategy at all. They aren't saying "Lets concentrate on the Dub", they may have better WHL scouts than other teams, but that doesn't mean they scout the league more. After all, their Top 3 picks wern't even from the Dub.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Wow Tyler Pitlick the same guy who couldnt score in college?
Can you really going to use that against him though? He was 8th in team scoring as a 17 year old. Everyone ahead of him was 21-24 years old.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think it is more based on the type of prospects that come up through the Western League.

The Western League has been long known for producing skilled, hard nosed, physical players and the benefit of having them in your "backyard" is scouting them from the time they were in Peewee/Midget.

This is no different than Detroit Red Wings obviously employing talented scouting staff in Sweden???

The Oilers are closest to the Dub, even having a WHL affiliate club, so it would make sense that the Dub would be their best opportunity to get some steals in the draft. The Oilers should absolutely take advantage of this opportunity, which they have been doing to great success recently.

I don't see why it's a dumb idea to draw from the prospect pool you know best. And you can't argue that the strategy has been negative.

Thank you.

I seem to like WHL produced players. They fit the profile of the Western Conference and especially a Canadian team based in Western Canada.

I don't see why that's so crazy.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Marincin - to turn into an Edler type who is rangy, lengthy and really good with his stick. Basically, an all-around skilled and dependable defenseman who can skate, pass, shoot, play some PP and play some PK. I know they are a dime a dozen, but this guy is oozing potential and just growing into his body.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but are you saying that Edler-type defensemen are a dime a dozen?

If so: :shakehead

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but are you saying that Edler-type defensemen are a dime a dozen?

If so: :shakehead

Haha oops, meant to say *aren't*. He's a very good defenseman, extremely envious considering our (Oilers) AHL-caliber d corps.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
I meant compared to Hall.

So does anyone have any info on any of these prospects? Most people on the Oilers board haven't seen these guys play. I was hoping someone here had.

I've said this a few times on the Oilers board, but I live in PG and i've seen Marincin play about 5 or 6 times this year (would like to be able to watch all the games, but my work sked doesnt allow for it unfortunately), and from what i've seen, he's not a really physical dman (yet), but is the PP QB for the cats, and uses hios stick very well defensively, breaks up a lot of odd man rushes with it, and when the puck is in our end, he pretty much stays in front of the net instead of chasing into the corners for the puck (not sure if he's being told to do that or if its just his style)...the hit in the WJC was an anomaly IMO, and i had the opportunity to talk to him when the cats had a 'skate with the cougars' day, seems like a good kid, i think his english has improved quite a bit since coming over to NA too. Definitely a steal for the Oilers IMO and cant wait to watch him in Oil silks in a couple years.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
This is assuming other teams don't watch the Dub as much, which is patently false seeing as the WHL is one of the biggest suppliers of talent to the NHL. So drawing from the prospect pool they know best because of their location really doesn't mean much. Why would the Dub be the best place to get steals?

The Oilers selected players they liked, which is obviously the best way to go. They happen to play in the WHL (Pitlick and Marincin wern't scouted in the WHL, they played there after being taken).

It's not really a strategy at all. They aren't saying "Lets concentrate on the Dub", they may have better WHL scouts than other teams, but that doesn't mean they scout the league more. After all, their Top 3 picks wern't even from the Dub.

I mean closest not in terms of geographically closest, but closest in a "we're the most familiar with it" sense. That familiarity might come at least in part from geographical proximity, but location is secondary. The fact that both Pitlick and Marincin both went to the Dub after being drafted by the Oilers is a manifestation of this familiarity IMO.

I think we likely feel very similarly about the matter but words failed to communicate sentiment.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
I guess nobody should post anything about any prospect that belongs to any team that they are fans of. HFboards certainly has its fair share of anal retentives.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Shouldnt this be on the Oilers board? They probably have a prospect thread right?
Because we can't make a thread about prospects in the prospects forum?

This draft was absolutely huge for our rebuild. All of those players listed have NHL player potential. If these prospects keep on developing on course, this draft will set our rebuild so far ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad