The Oilers' Lesser Known 2010 Picks

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Hall's good. We all know that. I was just wondering what the upside on some of these the other 2010 picks. I haven't seen many of them play but on the stats sheet things are looking very good. There's a lot of size, a lot of offense and a lot of players from the WHL.

If you anything about any of these players, let me know what you think.

Tyler Pitlick(RW)- 31st overall
6'2 and 188 pounds
53 games- 24 goals and 59 points
- 2nd in WHL rookie scoring

Martin Marincin(D)- 46th overall
6'4 and 187 pounds
56 games- 13 goals and 52 points
- 5th highest scoring Dman in the WHL
- 4th in WHL rookie scoring(#1 Dman)
- Represented Slovakia at the WJC

Curtis Hamilton(LW)- 48th overall
6'3 and 206 pounds
51 games- 21 goals and 71 points
- 17th in WHL scoring
- 7th in assists
- 4th in +/- (+40)
- Represented Canada at the WJC

Ryan Martindale(C)- 61st overall
6'3 and 190 pounds
54 games- 31 goals and 75 points
- 14th in OHL scoring
- 16th in OHL goal scoring
- 4th in +/- (+39)

Jeremie Blain(D)- 91st overall
6'2 and 189 pounds
32 games- 3 goals and 31 points
- 22nd highest scoring Dman in the QMJHL despite missing close to 20 games to start the season

Tyler Bunz(G)- 121st overall
6'1 and 198 pounds
30-12-6
0.918 Save%, 2.48 GAA and 3 shutouts
- 2nd best save% in WHL
- 2nd best goals against in the WHL
- 4th most wins in the WHL

Brandon Davidson(D)- 162nd overall
6'2 and 194 pounds
61 games- 8 goals and 45 points
- 9th highest scoring Dman in the WHL

Drew Czerwonka(LW)- 166th overall
6'2 and 197 pounds
57 games- 12 goals and 40 points

GRIZZ

Aug 24, 2007
Leduc, AB
Hall's good. We all know that. I was just wondering what the upside on some of these the other 2010 picks. I haven't seen many of them play but on the stats sheet things are looking very good. There's a lot of size, a lot of offense and a lot of players from the WHL.

If you anything about any of these players, let me know what you think.

Tyler Pitlick(RW)- 31st overall
6'2 and 188 pounds
53 games- 24 goals and 59 points
- 2nd in WHL rookie scoring

Martin Marincin(D)- 46th overall
6'4 and 187 pounds
56 games- 13 goals and 52 points
- 5th highest scoring Dman in the WHL
- 4th in WHL rookie scoring(#1 Dman)
- Represented Slovakia at the WJC

Curtis Hamilton(LW)- 48th overall
6'3 and 206 pounds
51 games- 21 goals and 71 points
- 17th in WHL scoring
- 7th in assists
- 4th in +/- (+40)
- Represented Canada at the WJC

Ryan Martindale(C)- 61st overall
6'3 and 190 pounds
54 games- 31 goals and 75 points
- 14th in OHL scoring
- 16th in OHL goal scoring
- 4th in +/- (+39)

Jeremie Blain(D)- 91st overall
6'2 and 189 pounds
32 games- 3 goals and 31 points
- 22nd highest scoring Dman in the QMJHL despite missing close to 20 games to start the season

Tyler Bunz(G)- 121st overall
6'1 and 198 pounds
30-12-6
0.918 Save%, 2.48 GAA and 3 shutouts
- 2nd best save% in WHL
- 2nd best goals against in the WHL
- 4th most wins in the WHL

Brandon Davidson(D)- 162nd overall
6'2 and 194 pounds
61 games- 8 goals and 45 points
- 9th highest scoring Dman in the WHL

Drew Czerwonka(LW)- 166th overall
6'2 and 197 pounds
57 games- 12 goals and 40 points

Really doubted Tyler Bunz was a good goalie at the WHL level, but now I am confident in his abilities! But he still is behind Roy on the prospect depth chart

Camden

May 14, 2005
I am really interested at the progression of Davidson. I thought he was one of the biggest steals of the draft (considering where he went) and I know he impressed the Oiler brass during training camp. Good to see his confidence carry over this year in the 'dub.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Amazing draft by Edmonton.

I also like how most of the picks are Western kids or guys from the Dub.

I think that's a strategy some teams could do more of...picking guys close to their own back yard if possible.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I have big hopes for Marincin and Hamilton, but am not sold on Pitlick even though he had strong prospect and development camps.

The rest are hit or miss like any other 3rd round or later picks.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Great haul by Stu. Lots of potential for development. He's a Kamloops/Western boy so he's sticking to what he knows and what he trusts. Go with what you know. Liked the direction of our draft way more in 2010 than 2009.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
There's also Kellen Jones and Kristians Pelss, Pelss who is slowly adapting to his first NA season.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This is what I'm hoping for, and I don't believe it's unrealistic:

Pitlick - to turn into a Dubinsky type or Kesler pre-2009/10, hard as hell on the puck with a ton of battle and some offensive punch as well as being a guy we can lean on defensively. It's a tall order, but he has that dogged work ethic, physical game and puck sense.

Marincin - to turn into an Edler type who is rangy, lengthy and really good with his stick. Basically, an all-around skilled and dependable defenseman who can skate, pass, shoot, play some PP and play some PK. I know they are a dime a dozen, but this guy is oozing potential and just growing into his body.

Hamilton - to become a staple and integral bottom sixer to a winning team. The guy we can send out there in the last minute to defend the lead or to kill off a crucial 5 on 3. A guy you can count on to have one of the highest effort levels on the team every game. I know his offense probably won't be translating to the pro game so I hope his skating and hockey sense will elevate him into a great checker.

For the rest, I hope we can get one regular NHLer, be it bottom sixer or bottom pairing d-man. If that could happen it would be one of the best drafts in a while and really set us up for the future.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also can't help but notice that Pitlick/Marincin/Hamilton/Martindale can be full time AHLers next season.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I'd like to think that eventually the Oilers top 9 will be...

Hall - Nugent Hopkins? - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Hamilton - Lander - Pitlick

If everyone develops well, that could be pretty good once they're all 22+ years old. On paper that 3rd line would be able to provide a little bit of everything while being a very good shut down line.

As for the Marincin/Edler comparison. Who knows if he'll ever be as good but he should definitely be much dirtier...if the WJC is a sign of things to come.

Last edited:

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
What a draft. Every pick is showing legitimate NHL potential, save perhaps Pelss and Jones, who were taken at the very back. Even then, Pelss has been on a scoring tear of late. I know very little about Jones.

I think this is one of those drafts Edmonton will look back on fondly in a few years. I'm really liking the Oilers' strategy in the second round the past couple of years, taking Anton Lander in '09 and the trio this past summer. All four look to be solid contributors to a winning team in the future. If I'm Steve Tambellini, I'm looking for as many picks in the top 60 as possible, because Stu will turn them into something.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
Shouldnt this be on the Oilers board? They probably have a prospect thread right?

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
And Pitlick and Marincin arent exactly lesser known prospects are they?

I certainly hear a lot about them on HF.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

I meant compared to Hall.

So does anyone have any info on any of these prospects? Most people on the Oilers board haven't seen these guys play. I was hoping someone here had.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

Fail to see your point.

Shouldnt this be on the Oilers board? They probably have a prospect thread right?

Is it wrong for the OP to want input from fans of other teams?

Lesser known, not unknown. Pitlick and Marincin are definitely lesser known prospects.

Anyways, this really is looking to be a very deep and successful draft from the Oilers' perspective even if you take Hall out of the equation.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

"I also like how most of the picks are Western kids or guys from the Dub."

The relevance? If this thread was about a team picking lots of players from the OHL in one draft and then a year later, they all look promising, would you have posted that?

"I think that's a strategy some teams could do more of...picking guys close to their own back yard if possible."

What strategy? Picking the players they liked the best at the particular spot they were in? Ok.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
"I also like how most of the picks are Western kids or guys from the Dub."

The relevance? If this thread was about a team picking lots of players from the OHL in one draft and then a year later, they all look promising, would have posted that?

"I think that's a strategy some teams could do more of...picking guys close to their own back yard if possible."

What strategy? Picking the players they liked the best at the particular spot they were in? Ok.

I think it is more based on the type of prospects that come up through the Western League.

The Western League has been long known for producing skilled, hard nosed, physical players and the benefit of having them in your "backyard" is scouting them from the time they were in Peewee/Midget.

This is no different than Detroit Red Wings obviously employing talented scouting staff in Sweden???

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
The Oilers are closest to the Dub, even having a WHL affiliate club, so it would make sense that the Dub would be their best opportunity to get some steals in the draft. The Oilers should absolutely take advantage of this opportunity, which they have been doing to great success recently.

I don't see why it's a dumb idea to draw from the prospect pool you know best. And you can't argue that the strategy has been negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad