The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He won't last 10 games if they keep looking like they did tonight

who is available?

Oilers should have hired Trotz and fired McLellan when they had the chance. There is no one of decent resume available as a coach.

Lucic is an albatross of a contract with both Drai and McDavid cap hit don't think oilers have much room to make moves either.

Oilers would have to make hockey trade. They would have to move

• Draisaitl for a good piece (either a 2 way winger or a top D),
  • move Lucic (retain $) + pic -> free up cap space
  • then trade their first round pick for a decent Winger/Top4 D (Kreider? from Rangers)
  • and then may be get someone like Plekanec defensive center (two 2nd round picks) from montreal to have him play against oppositions' top line while freeing up McDavid's line to feast on lesser competition followed by RNH line.

then run

Kreider?-McDavid-Strome
Puljujarvi-RNH-Yamamoto
XXX-Plekanec-XXX
XXX-Khaira-XXX

Kleffbomb Top4D (via trade)
Nurse Larsson
Russel Benning

send Bouchard for development and not screw him in NHL

then at TDL if needed make another move for D-man

• No point in holding on to picks for couple years at least oilers time is now they have already invested big sums of money.....

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Three major moves:

- Traded Hall
- Traded Eberle
- Signed Lucic

Edmonton's struggle is actually the end product of a flawed program coming to reliazation. You can fluke a McDavid/Draisital but can you build an entire hockey team through drafting good players every year?

The leafs for example are STALKED with talent. They have AHL PPG players that can't crack the top 9. After there big players in place they have an abundance of talent in the system that can step in tomorrow. Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Sandin, Lilegren, Rosen, Borgman etc.

Edmonton just doesn't have the depth/talent throughout the roster to really make everyone accountable.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
lowkey what did Oiler fans do to deserve this?

The fact that Vancouver looks like they're getting their **** together before Edmonton is troubling.
Glen Sather sold the oilers soul for that dynasty in the 80s.

Same thing happened to the Islanders.

Sold the teams soul to the devil.

Your children shall pay for your greed.

Pens fans, you're next.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Is t this the excuse every time?

It was:
Krueger
Eakins
Nelson

And now Mclellan

Not sure it’s the coaching. Might be the player personnel.
Hmm maybe your right, maybe trading McDavid might help.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ah yes, the easy target.

Sometimes believe it or not the coach of a underachieving team is to blame. He overreacts still remember him calling the oilers bad news bears after their first loss last year. Great stuff to say to the media to a young team.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I was at the garden tonight and they definitely need to get him some help because my god that team is terrible. That being said McDavid really is a treat to see in person, I found myself watching him more than the puck when he was on the ice lol

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

The fact that Vancouver looks like they're getting their **** together before Edmonton is troubling.

Just for reference Vancouver has started the last two seasons 6-3-1 each in both of them and is the worst team in the league in the last three years.

Vancouver has a Defense rated 30 and a goaltending tandem 31, then a lacklustre offensenoutside 2 or 3 guys..

Some great prospects but that’s hardly getting your **** together. Yeah they beat Tampa, it’s early lots of good teams lose early in Toronto lost to Ottawa. Last place Buffalo beat Nashville Tampa and Washington in the same week last year.

EP is a beauty but so is mcdavid.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
McDavid has 3 points so far and the Oilers have 3 goals.

How can a team that drafted #1 overall three times in a row and 4 times in 6 years be so bad?

Literally no secondary scoring.

Why are people still asking this question? You'll get the same answer as you would have gotten when we drafted Hall. And RNH. And Yak. And insert some other high draft pick.

The story literally doesnt change, I vote we sticky this thread and just change the year on it each season so that it remains relevant.

LeafsBoyo

Oct 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada
If McDavid was smart he'd ask for a trade to the Leafs, Oilers could get a sweet return too:

Marner
Marleau (waived NMC)
Kapanen
Liljegren
Durzi
1st Round Pick
2x 2nd Round Picks

Leafs need to start tampering with McDavid's camp.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I still remember the draft and the reaction after being pick #1 overall

Connor%2BMcDavid%2BNHL%2BDraft%2BAnger%2BFlaring%2Bof%2BNostrils%2BLip%2BPurse%2BClandestine%2BDisagreement%2BPlan%2BNonverbal%2BCommunication%2BExpert%2BBody%2BLanguage%2BExpert%2BSpeaker%2BKeynote%2BConsultant%2BIllinois%2BLas%2BVegas%2BLos%2BAngeles%2BNYC%2BOrlando.png

wonder if he still feels that way............

No way that’s the actual second he found or? Or is that one of the seconds around the time that just looks the best.

As funny as it is there’s also a lot of shock going on and a lot of thought to take in, this is a huge part of your life finding out where your going to live play for etc and being on tv as a kid with everyone watching you I’d be nervous or in deep thought too. Lol

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
If McDavid was smart he'd ask for a trade to the Leafs, Oilers could get a sweet return too:

Marner
Marleau (waived NMC)
Kapanen
Liljegren
Durzi
1st Round Pick
2x 2nd Round Picks

Leafs need to start tampering with McDavid's camp.

That would be Just brilliant for Toronto’s cap situation and ice time handling among centres.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Stop kicking us when we are down. Its been a generation of suck and we kept supporting this tire fire. No hockey fans deserve this level of punishment. None.
Remember when everyone including us laughed at Sens fans in the summer? I do, and I take back everything I said. Being a devoted and passionate fan of a team that is run by barbaric apes is awful. As you said, no hockey fans deserve this level of punishment. None.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I mean, last year the Oilers missed the playoffs with the Art Ross winner on their team.
When was the last time that happened

This isn’t basketball. Star players in hockey if their a forward are I n the bench for two thirds of a game. Team sport you need a surrounding cast.

Iginla in 02 but there’s probably way more im just not good at remembering, but top scorers have been on bad teams here and there.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

All we did was give our undying love and support to the team through the what seems to be eons of failure and being the laughing stock of the league. What sucks even more is that teams we used to laugh at like the Leafs are looking like powerhouses rn. Incredible, fast young teams that are a joy to watch. The only fun we have is the 20 minutes a night Mcdavid is on the ice, and about 45% of that is ruined by Matt f***ing Benning being on the ice at the same time.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
How is the lineup any worse than Vegas SC final team last year? It's a coaching thing.

Because their GM knows how to build a team to at least be competitive. McPhee knows the league and how it has changed to speed. So he drafted a majority of speedy players mixed in with some grit. All 4 lines on that team can go. Teams nowadays throw the puck into an open part of the ice and just go after it. Edmonton does not to this. They stand around, sit back and just let teams come at them like it's 2010 again. Chiarelli built a heavy team and the league is not like this anymore. He's stuck in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad