The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
How exactly has this Oilers team progressed in the last 2 seasons?
They get gifted the best player in the world who comes in not only matching, but exceeding the hype around him.
The kid picks up all kinds of hardware and yet, the team seems to have been left in his dust.
How does a franchise riddled with so much good fortune in the draft lottery, mixed in with such little success over the last 10 years have so little to show for it?

It's baffling.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pistol Pete thought he'd spend his way out of whatever iteration of the "rebuild" they were on when he got there.

Spent all the valuable roster players, spent precious cap space on total crap, and spent draft picks on yet more waste. Pretty soon I'd have to think he'll have spent whatever patience was left in Edmonton.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
part of the problem is the gap in games played, cant get a groove, i think once they string some games, the oilers will get more consistent. But they still need better players.

Reactions: hallhopkinseberle

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
It's always somebody eh? The whole system in Edmonton is just toxic. They need to nuke that whole thing and start brand new with McDavid, Drai, Nurse, and maube Klef.

Eichel is captain and GM of Buffalo so I'm sure McDavid could handle that role too.
How many times did they start new in the last decade?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Doesnt work for Leafs cap space.

Nylander/Marleau for McDavid would be perfect.
We would happily give up Marleau, Nylander, Gardiner and Marincin.

Kappy - Matthews - McDavid
Hyman - Tavares - Mitchy
Kadri

Don't need any other forwards. That should be enough to destroy every team in the league offensively.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
This is cutting close to the Ottawa situation with terrible management.

It's probably worse given its been a decade and a handful of 1st overalls

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
When a franchise struggles this much for this amount of time, the only explanation is that the problem lies with ownership.

Indeed, and if you've spent any time with rich folks in Edmonton, you'll know the rumours, and that's where it gets really weird.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Well your not wrong but still, two games against playoff teams for the oilers.

Five games against non playoff teams for the leafs.

Of course some of these numbers are rather lopsided.

Not saying the oilers haven’t been bad and the leafs haven’t been money, I’m just saying.

Since I know some just want to stomp on teams or probably wouldn’t wait until Edmonton played one more game just so they could say something like this.

I see your point and it would make sense for just about any other team except Edmonton. Chia straight up sabotaged the team before they could take stride so he could have his "vision". Playoff teams or not, same problems showing again. They arent a playoff team themselves. The Leafs are/were a playoff team with just as many problems. Chia built a shit team around the best player in the world. Imagine throwing up back to back Art Ross's and you can't even make the playoffs anymore. This is a team many saw as being a perennial cup contender 2 years ago

Reactions: DaveG

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
When a franchise struggles this much for this amount of time, the only explanation is that the problem lies with ownership.

I don’t know. It’s a big part sure, there just is a lot more problems then ownership. It may be the starting cause of the whole nucleus of problems, but coaching management and even parity makes teams look bad now just like parity makes teams look good. (Though parity would be a low, very low reason compared to the rest)

It’s hard to be a winner in a 31 team league and let’s not act like the team didn’t have a good season just two years ago and were even two goals away from the third round of the playoffs. As well as only playing two games one on this continent against two tougher teams this year.

I get what you mean about how long it’s been if you were to look last ten years or whatever so I agree with you there, just as I agree it’s ownership. But not everything is black and white, it’s just not that simple.

There are a lot of problems from goaltending to young guys not developing yakupovs to young guys getting traded halls and eberles to rumours of players not even wanting to be there. It’s an in-depth issue.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
- trade away Taylor Hall & a draft pick that became Mat Barzal for defensive help
- still have awful defense & now the team has no secondary scoring

what did Peter Chiarelli mean by this?

+ trade Eberle due to big contract and bad playoffs.

Then give Kris Russel a big/bad contract, and miss the playoffs because only #97 can score.

The Oilers are going to have another 1st overall pick soon you can just feel it.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I see your point and it would make sense for just about any other team except Edmonton. Chia straight up sabotaged the team before they could take stride so he could have his "vision". Playoff teams or not, same problems showing again. They arent a playoff team themselves. The Leafs are/were a playoff team with just as many problems. Chia built a **** team around the best player in the world. Imagine throwing up back to back Art Ross's and you can't even make the playoffs anymore. This is a team many saw as being a perennial cup contender 2 years ago

I also see your point but at the same time I don’t get it though, so far with mcdavid playing more then half a season the oilers have made the playoffs once and not made the playoffs once. That’s 1-1. And this year they haven’t even played a game in their building and just one on this continent.

And two years ago it did look like they were going to become a cup contender. That’s why every sports site said it. The media saw it like the Crosby penguins type scenario and the oilers won a series the leafs have made the playoffs twice that’s once more and haven’t. I’m not here to bash then but this Toronto was always a playoff team and the oilers can’t make it even without mcdavid stuff is blown up. Look at the statistics I just said above. 1-1 in two seasons win him the rookie forty game season obviously doesent count at all how on earth would anyone drag someone to the playoffs with that.

Also the NHL is not like the NBA with star players.

2/3rds of a gAme mcdavid is sitting on a bench. You need more then Just your stars in a league like that. Say what you want about the leafs right now but they have more then Matthews and I don’t have to repeat how many series they’ve won. (If your a leAf fan and just read that last line don’t take that out of context it was just an example)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad