The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
The lineup really is abysmal, it shouldn't be possible to build a lineup like that in their situation.

Coach is garbage as well.
How is the lineup any worse than Vegas SC final team last year? It's a coaching thing.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Insert Hall picture here I guess. What about Drai? I haven't caught any of the games yet. Edmonton definitely needs more balanced scoring.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I'm missing the point?
I don't get why you think the lineup is abysmal? On paper the Oilers have a pretty good team and definately not worse than the one that went alll the way to the finals last season (Vegas).

The coaches should be able to get more out of this team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get why you think the lineup is abysmal? On paper the Oilers have a pretty good team and definately not worse than the one that went alll the way to the finals last season (Vegas).

The coaches should be able to get more out of this team.

They certainly don't have, it lacks talent everywhere.
Not a playoff caliber team on paper.

Vegas didn't have years to build the roster with multiple high picks.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
He made some plays tonight, but his wingers sucked.
Yeah. I mean we can parade Drai as a 1C or 2C all we want but until he has actual scoring wingers it's only going to keep his production down and more so create pressure on McDavid to basically carry the team.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
They didn't look great tonight.

Did they fire everyone involved in the pk last year? Because it's just as bad as before

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
They certainly don't have, it lacks talent everywhere.
Not a playoff caliber team on paper.

Vegas didn't have years to build the roster with multiple high picks.
Exactly. But even so a better coach managed to get that team to the finals.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Exactly. But even so a better coach managed to get that team to the finals.

Yes, but again lot of other things played into their success.

I highly doubt you can do the same with an old team.
Todd's garbage but so is the roster.

Reactions: BAM

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
McDavid has 3 points so far and the Oilers have 3 goals.

How can a team that drafted #1 overall three times in a row and 4 times in 6 years be so bad?

Literally no secondary scoring.

A bad gm who doesn’t know how to put a team together and a coach who doesn’t know how to use what he’s got.

Reactions: Peanut

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They didn't look great tonight.

Did they fire everyone involved in the pk last year? Because it's just as bad as before
The main problem is Todd McLellan. He's got his grubby hands involved in everything and is incredibly stubborn. Manny Viveiros was hired (he had the top ranked power play in the entire CHL last season in Swift Current). McLellan isn't allowing him to run the PP for the Oilers.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The main problem is Todd McLellan. He's got his grubby hands involved in everything and is incredibly stubborn. Manny Viveiros was hired (he had the top ranked power play in the entire CHL last season in Swift Current). McLellan isn't allowing him to run the PP for the Oilers.

He won't last 10 games if they keep looking like they did tonight

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
It all starts with ownership, they hire the GM and approve coaches, they're the ones to ultimately say 'clean house' when it really hits the fan. When bad owners are involved it can be decades of incompetence. Whatever the ownership situation is in Edmonton, it's on them. Coaches, GM's, they're just a product of whoever hired them and the organization they've established.

It's sad, really...I love baseball and hockey and the two generational, unrivaled talents in both sports are stuck on dead-end teams that, without them, would be absolute dumpster fires. With them they're barely treading water. I like the Oilers and would love to see McDavid on a competitive team but it's such a disaster there, and unless there's a complete turnover it's not getting better any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->