OT: The Oiler Trading Conundrum

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Just from the top of my head, their have been a couple trades that didn't go through for the oilers that if put into logical perspective they should of have easily completed but the team that they are bargaining chooses a worse trade then accepting the oilers offer.

Example 1: Oilers offered 7th Overall + high end prospect for Cory Schneider.

Gillis (allegedly) asked for 3rd prospect but the oilers declined.

Gillis then proceeds to deal Schneider to New Jersey for the 9th Overall.

I can understand not dealing with a division rival, but it seems in a logical point of view, questionable asset managing. Oilers are clearly giving up a superior package.

Example 2: Oilers offered 16th, 33rd, 57th for Dougie Hamilton

Sweeny (allegedly) asks for Nurse as part of the package and Oilers rightfully decline.

Sweeny then proceeds to deal Hamilton to Calgary for a somewhat similar but lower package of the 15th, 45th, 52nd picks.

There was 3-4 hours before the draft when this happened, Oilers are not a divisional rival and I am sure oilers would of been able to trump Calgarys offer. They didn't want to add Nurse, but they could of added a 2016 pick or even a prospect like Marincin which are valuable assets.

My question is, why are teams asking so much in trades with the Oilers and are willing to make inferior trades instead of taking the better offer with out the kicker (ex: Nurse, 3rd prospect)?

Also if anyone else knows any more of these type of examples. I would like to hear them. I just find it really odd when I hear about them. It just seems oilers get the short end of the stick and it is quite stunning to see happen.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
they are scared of giving us one of those final pieces and facing a dynasty forever:naughty:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It was the Canucks who asked for #7++. Oilers said no.

It's been mentioned already about the Hamilton trade. Neely and co. still hold something against Chiarelli and therefore insisted on Nurse.

A team not wanting to trade to a rival is pretty common practice in the NHL. The Hamilton trade is a bit different because you'd hope the guys at the other end would act like professionals and put the interests of the team ahead of their own egos.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not concerned about it. Oilers return wasnt that much better than Calgary in picks so yeah in spirit they'd stick it to Chiarelli. Office politics play a role when the difference in minimal, they're not going to make their recent fire look like a genius. They'll rather make him look worse or be like give us this too if you want it. Human nature and especially with whatever petty ego thing OBC Boston has on the go now.

And Vancouver not wanting to send Schneider within division understandable too. I doubt it was to say to hell with the Oilers as much as if this bites us it better not be 6 times a year. Same reason Lack would cost more. Same reason Talbot would cost less than if Philly was in on it.

Fans are too used to being slighted here. Just business.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It was the Canucks who asked for #7++. Oilers said no.

It's been mentioned already about the Hamilton trade. Neely and co. still hold something against Chiarelli and therefore insisted on Nurse.

A team not wanting to trade to a rival is pretty common practice in the NHL. The Hamilton trade is a bit different because you'd hope the guys at the other end would act like professionals and put the interests of the team ahead of their own egos.

some canuck fans speculate that it was Eberle and the 7 the canucks wanted for red

as for the deal yesterday--There was not a lot of difference in the picks in the second round--BBs decided that if they were to do the trade they wanted Nurse and they were not coming off of it

I personally think there are teams out there that are looking at the oilers blue chippers and know the oilers need certain things and these teams will hold out againt them

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If I was a GM no way I help the Oilers out with anything. While I'm toiling away at my job, Oil management has been having a lark and sucking up all the best draft picks. Damn right I'd be resentful. That feeling may fade away a bit as new management hopefully gets us out of the tank watch section of the standings.

The Hamilton one today has to be some residual bad feeling with the Bruins and Chiarelli. Although if it was as blatant as you have reported it here, and everybody knows that, I wonder how Bruins management explains to ownership and fans that they chose the clearly inferior package. Meh, I think Hamilton is over-rated anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only criticism I will say is I would've included Nail Yakupov or Justin Schultz in the base package for Hamilton.

Yakupov + 16th + 33 for Hamilton I would've been OK with. You kind of have to expect to overpay when you're asking for a big time asset from the people that just fired you.

The Schneider trade ... honestly in hindsight, we're really lucky that didn't go through.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Example 1 - division trade, and division rival to boot.

Example 2 - Franchise vs ex-GM animosity(Chia hinted it in his draft post interview).

We'll need more examples than just those two before coming up with any conclusions. There are already reasonable explanations other than a claim that there is a broader conspiracy of GMs against the Oilers.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
If I was a GM no way I help the Oilers out with anything. While I'm toiling away at my job, Oil management has been having a lark and sucking up all the best draft picks. Damn right I'd be resentful. That feeling may fade away a bit as new management hopefully gets us out of the tank watch section of the standings.

The Hamilton one today has to be some residual bad feeling with the Bruins and Chiarelli. Although if it was as blatant as you have reported it here, and everybody knows that, I wonder how Bruins management explains to ownership and fans that they chose the clearly inferior package. Meh, I think Hamilton is over-rated anyway.
This is true but as the Bruins GM he should be trying to get the best trade package back for his asset. I'm sure Chia could have sweetened the pot a little as well.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
We just have to let that Boston thing go. That management is clearly insane.

I honestly wonder if the shiny marble of 'three picks in a row' is what made them go with the Calgary offer.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
We just have to let that Boston thing go. That management is clearly insane.

I honestly wonder if the shiny marble of 'three picks in a row' is what made them go with the Calgary offer.

But they went off the board with ALL 3.

I can see doing it with 1 of them, but all 3 was bizarre. They may have set the Bruins back for years with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad