The Offseason Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"A or B" is a figure of speech...you are just trolling at this point

No, I’m really not and I don’t appreciate that term troll.

He’s essentially saying Korpisalo’s will only do A or B and that “classic goalies” are limited in what they will or can do on the ice and I want him to answer what that it. He’s trying to minimize the “type” of goalie Korpisalo is, even though as OTHERS have mentioned, Korpisalo makes plenty of acrobatic saves himself.

He can prefer a “twitchy” goalie, but, don’t act as if Elvis or any others in that category have more ability or options to make saves just because you categorize them like that.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
No, I’m really not and I don’t appreciate that term troll.

He’s essentially saying Korpisalo’s will only do A or B and that “classic goalies” are limited in what they will or can do on the ice and I want him to answer what that it. He’s trying to minimize the “type” of goalie Korpisalo is, even though as OTHERS have mentioned, Korpisalo makes plenty of acrobatic saves himself.

He can prefer a “twitchy” goalie, but, don’t act as if Elvis or any others in that category have more ability or options to make saves just because you categorize them like that.
You're arguing about goalies there, with someone who played the position and may just know what they're talking about...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the two most overrated players on the CBJ currently are the goalies. Both have had great stretches. Neither have had a full season where they have played really solid. Korpi was great against Toronto, so he has playoff experience. This year Elvis looked better.

I am willing to trade either one or both. I also think the returns from trading them will not be as great as some people think they will be. So I am cool with keeping both and letting them keep battling, and then resigning 1 and trading 1 during the season. Both are UFA in a year.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think the two most overrated players on the CBJ currently are the goalies. Both have had great stretches. Neither have had a full season where they have played really solid. Korpi was great against Toronto, so he has playoff experience. This year Elvis looked better.

I am willing to trade either one or both. I also think the returns from trading them will not be as great as some people think they will be. So I am cool with keeping both and letting them keep battling, and then resigning 1 and trading 1 during the season. Both are UFA in a year.
Elvis was better this yr :laugh:. You just glossing over the fact Merzlikins had a rough start transitioning to the NHL , and when it was all said and done for the season started 31 games with a .923 save %, a 2.35 GAA, and had 5 shutouts in those 31 games last season ?

Heres Korpis GAA past 5 seasons ... 2.88, 3.32, 2.95, 2.60, and a massive 3.30 GAA
save %... .905, .897, .897, .911, and .894

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Elvis was better this yr :laugh:. You just glossing over the fact Merzlikins had a rough start transitioning to the NHL , and when it was all said and done for the season started 31 games with a .923 save %, a 2.35 GAA, and had 5 shutouts in those 31 games last season ?

Heres Korpis GAA past 5 seasons ... 2.88, 3.32, 2.95, 2.60, and a massive 3.30 GAA
save %... .905, .897, .897, .911, and .894

After the Toronto series, Korpi looked like the future. After this season, Elvis looks better. To me, neither one looks like the kind of guy you can count on to sign long term for $5 million plus. Based on what I have seen, I’d rather grab a halfway decent UFA goalie every few years for a fairly short contract than commit to either one long term.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Love the ignoring of Korpisalo’s 1st season and the fact that so much of his NHL career and stats were during a time Elvis wasn’t even good enough for the NHL.

I WISH we had 5 years to look back at Elvis’ NHL stats.

Another point I want to add is that Korpisalo did not get the nod in the playoffs because of Elvis being hurt.

To the point of who the team wants to play in front of, do you think coaching/Torts got zero input from the team in who they would like to see play in the playoffs??

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Sorry for the delay Bus, watching my grandson, a system goalie would be like Steve Mason, has to have perfect mechanics and positioning where a twitchy goalie would be Bob. Twitchy guys trust their ability to not only anticipate but recover when wrong and system guys are never beat by being out of position. And there are goalies who are a bit of both, but when it comes down to it they always refer back to whichever is their strength.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
After the Toronto series, Korpi looked like the future. After this season, Elvis looks better. To me, neither one looks like the kind of guy you can count on to sign long term for $5 million plus. Based on what I have seen, I’d rather grab a halfway decent UFA goalie every few years for a fairly short contract than commit to either one long term.
Sure.. Korpi has shown he can play well in small spurts. His career #s, and performances show that he cant SUSTAIN that level play. Hes a great backup, that you can throw out there and have a shot if your starter goes down. Meanwhile Elvis is in top 10 of league in last 2 yrs .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Love the ignoring of Korpisalo’s 1st season

How is '15-'16 relevant? Different coaches. Zero Dmen from that team will be on the roster next year (maybe Kukan, who played all of 8 games in '15-'16). Atkinson and Jenner are the only forward still left from that season.

It'd be one thing if '15-'16 were #s he put up consistently, but statistically, it's his outlier year in the NHL.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
I am wondering why someone can use Toronto as an example of why a rebuild do not work.
EDM and Toronto have a lot in common, in the matter of a failed rebuild.

The common thing is they have some very expensive superstar forward, that they was lucky enough to draft.
What they do not have is any significant in the backend.

Anyone would like a Mc David or/and a Mathew on their team, but what happen for both team in different ways.
EDM had a lot of first over and used them to attempt to find a new 99 and they missed the opportunity of building all the defensive part of the game.
Fact is, you can not afford four super lines, so most of your team, in a cap area, will need to be defensive minded.
So you will need to have lest three very good D-pairs and a good defensive structure to win the CUP

So in my point of view, Mc David and Mathews are both a great asset to their them but also some what a curse.
It is the defense that winds CUP and makes goalies have a chance to look good.
Neither EDM or Toronto can currently afford that, since they pay their forward group at least 10 million to much.

That is just my point of view.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->