The offseason for Jake Gardiner

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
He has more giveaways than Tim Horton's "RRRRRRRRRRRoll up the rim to win." A ton of skill with not enough talent. A change of scenery might do him good.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He was our best defenseman in 2013 and the OT goal was a result of Franson giving the puck away twice leading to a long shift for that pair. Let's not pin that series on our most effective D.

He was bad last game 7 and made a brutal mistake last night, but was fine otherwise and helped cover Dermott's errors. I'm fine not bringing him back, but don't pretend -3 last night is any actual reflection on his play. Matthews was also -3

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Hey Jake - I called you a cab. Its waiting outside. Don't worry about your personal belongings. I've made arrangements to personally ship it to Mexico.

Reactions: Boutette

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
He was our best defenseman in 2013 and the OT goal was a result of Franson giving the puck away twice leading to a long shift for that pair. Let's not pin that series on our most effective D.

He was bad last game 7 and made a brutal mistake last night, but was fine otherwise and helped cover Dermott's errors. I'm fine not bringing him back, but don't pretend -3 last night is any actual reflection on his play. Matthews was also -3
Wow............Dermott is effectively a rookie this year and is going to keep getting better. I do not hold any of this against the kid even though he had some rough moments to be sure. Gardiner has never been our best dman and has often been our worst dman.

How many times to do you see Gardiner getting knocked off the puck in our zone and succumbing to the pressure by giving the puck away or hanging his partner out to dry? He's good in the open ice. His hockey IQ as a dman is brutal.

What game are you watching?

Reactions: Boutette

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wow............Dermott is effectively a rookie this year and is going to keep getting better. I do not hold any of this against the kid even though he had some rough moments to be sure. Gardiner has never been our best dman and has often been our worst dman.

How many times to do you see Gardiner getting knocked off the puck in our zone and succumbing to the pressure by giving the puck away or hanging his partner out to dry? He's good in the open ice. His hockey IQ as a dman is brutal.

What game are you watching?
Who was better in 2013? What does Dermott's experience have to do with him covering?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We all knew jake had to go even just for cap reasons. This just makes it a bit easier to say goodbye

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
When Jake had possession of the puck on the 2nd goal, why did Matthews not support the puck? He went to the front of the net for no reason?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm sorry. But yet another bonehead error leads directly to a game 7 goal.

Jake, thanks for the memories. I want 6 defenceman that are playoff good. Playoff hardened and good.

If they don't meet that requirement, ship them out.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'd swap him for Carlo in a second. We need more guys like that.

Look at Muzzin. He was average in the season for us. Average. Once the playoffs came which is played primarily on the board I find, you can see what he brings to a team. So valuable.

Dubas time to re-adjust your thinking to NHL. AHL is over bud.

Reactions: TheLeafsBro

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone think Jake will be back ?

Where do you think he'll end up ? Term and AAV ?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
There is no chance he's back unless he's looking to take a giant pay cut. Injured, has baggage and we can't afford his real market value even at a discount because of injury. Perfect storm of ain't gonna happen.

Nice guy, I wish him well but but I won't shed any tears.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There is no chance he's back unless he's looking to take a giant pay cut. Injured, has baggage and we can't afford his real market value even at a discount because of injury. Perfect storm of ain't gonna happen.

Nice guy, I wish him well but but I won't shed any tears.

That's pretty much it.

His main liability is random bad plays. You cant coach those away and coaches tend to really dislike D with random bad habits. We have lots of Left D prospects as well.

Muzzin is clearly the Jake replacement for next season.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Anyone think Jake will be back ?

Where do you think he'll end up ? Term and AAV ?

Doubt he will be back. We can't afford him, because he will be asking for way too much.

Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson still need to be paid.

We still have guys like Marleau and Brown who have been pushed further down the depth chart and are now considered overpaid.

The leafs still have big needs; such as a backup goalie, top pairing defenceman and maybe a powerfoward type LW.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Only way I could see him being back is if his market is completely gone, where the Leafs give him a 1 year, 5 million contract.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
There is no chance Jake will be back. I'm sure he will miss his friends in the locker room. I'm also sure he can't wait to leave the fan base. Who will be the next scapegoat for this team? Naz, Willy, Freddy, Matthews???

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no chance Jake will be back. I'm sure he will miss his friends in the locker room. I'm also sure he can't wait to leave the fan base. Who will be the next scapegoat for this team? Naz, Willy, Freddy, Matthews???

Babcock, Fred the Goat, Hyman, Willy who only plays good on big Ice.....

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He's gone and thats a good thing, not as good as some think. He is a good player, but he needs a partner to cover up for him so he can flourish. We gave him partners who themselves needed a stay at home partner, imo it was a bad situation.

I don't recall ever giving him good reliable stay at home guy in his tenure so he could play to the best of his abilities and not over think everything.

The talent and athleticism has always been there, though.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Cheerleaders still out here saying Jake didnt live up to expectations because of his d partners? Get that rubbish outta here. Lock this thread up. The icing and turnover machine is no longer a leaf and never will be again thank god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad