The offseason for Jake Gardiner

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I figured since Jake is expected back tonight, now would be a good time to assess where this fan base stands on his future. After the Boston series, a good portion of the fan base was ready to send Jake packing at any cost. His contract is up at the end of the season and fans were still ready to let him walk for nothing. Since his injury and long absence, fans have come to miss him so much, they are eagerly awaiting his return. It really has been interesting seeing the winds change for him. Are we still ready to let him walk on July 1st? Do you want to continue letting assets leave for nothing like JVR, Bozak, Komarov? If the right moves could be made and an affordable contract signed, would you want Dubas to make room for him?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I figured since Jake is expected back tonight, now would be a good time to assess where this fan base stands on his future. After the Boston series, a good portion of the fan base was ready to send Jake packing at any cost. His contract is up at the end of the season and fans were still ready to let him walk for nothing. Since his injury and long absence, fans have come to miss him so much, they are eagerly awaiting his return. It really has been interesting seeing the winds change for him. Are we still ready to let him walk on July 1st? Do you want to continue letting assets leave for nothing like JVR, Bozak, Komarov? If the right moves could be made and an affordable contract signed, would you want Dubas to make room for him?
A lot depends on Marleau.
Gardiner + Hainsey = 7 million
We have to sign Marner/Johnsson/Kappy.
Probably about 15-16 million there and Matthews 11.634 kicks in.

In the absence of any big trades, we will be hard pressed just to sign these players while letting everyone who can walk, walk.

Pretty much the same group here next year minus the UFAs.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I would love for his to keep him. We can see how losing him was a huge blow. Unless we make Marleau disappear theres no chance keeping him

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I like Gards, I just don't see how Dubas fits in him. Some team will offer him a lot more than we can afford. I think the priority for the defence is a PMD who can play on the rightside. Maybe Dermott can play on his offside, but even then we still have Reilly and Muzzin ahead of Gards on the left.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If we make a trade some how that Leafs rid themselves of 5 to 7 million ... whether that's 1 to 3 players worth moving out... than they can resign Marner, Kappy, AJ, and Gardiner. Itll take some big time maneuvering. This off season should be pretty interesting.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Can't afford him.

There will be a team willing to meet his demands and we won't be able to match due to our cap crunch. Plus we're jammed as hell on LHD with a couple very promising guys coming up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's a good player, and I'd love to keep him. We don't have the cap room though, so off he goes to somewhere else.

Reactions: Beleafer4

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Offer him like 5.5X6/7 years and an NTC and see if he bites, if not wish him all the best in free agency.

His back injury is concerning though his skating should likely still be fine as he enters his mid 30s

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't have six d-men better than him, so he's a big upgrade to the present playoff drive. Beyond that, Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott are LHD, with Dermott potentially moving to the right side due to his ability to hopefully handle more than a third pair role. Sandin is also in the pipeline. Made some sense prior to the Muzzin acquisition. Not so much now.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
He might take 6 from the Leafs but would absolutely get 7+ on the open market.

Moving people like Connor Brown is the better move save a million here a million there could add up.

I think the best strategy is to not spend the money this offseason and save up cap space to take a run at the 2020 crop of UFA dmen when you've gotten rid of Marleau and paid Seattle to take zaitsev in the expansion draft.

NHL roster Going into 2020 offseason
Reilly
Dermott (hopefully under 4)
Rosen (elc)
Borgman rfa
Sandin (elc)
Lilij (elc)

Some of the 2020 UFA D and I'd guess like 10-15 of cap space for the Leafs. Obviously not all will get there.
Josi
Muzzin
Pieterangelo
Barrie
krug
Bogo
vatenan
Tanev
Faulk
Spurgeon

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When you have Liljegren, Rosen and Sandin you play your cheaper options. I can't see anyone taking Marleau or Zaitsev. 90 percent he is gone.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Millennial negotiating tactics.
You know Shanny has a big part in negotiations too, right?

In fact he was the one who came out verbalized his desires for the kids to take less money.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
He will be too expensive to keep. We have Rielly, Dermott and Muzzin for the top 4 next year. Find a cheaper top 4 defenseman in free agency that can actually play defense.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It doesn't matter. You have to let him walk.

The money is not there. It's only going to get tighter with however much Marner drags out of Dubas over the summer. He's not the team's #1 D and unfortunately he's not ending up on the top pairing. You have to let your second pairing D go when his asking price gets to the point Gardiner will be at. And that's not even considering the concern about a long term deal for a guy who will be 29 next year who has had serious back issues this year. If it was a decent price on a short deal then sure. But how likely is Gardiner not to seek his big payday?

That's where this team has been put in terms of the cap. If you aren't 100% a core player then you hit the road in the offseason. You hope he has one great playoff run this year and then he's gone.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
There is 0% chance Jake is back next year. The Leafs just won't be able to afford him. He is going to get paid by someone just like JVR did with the Flyers and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 6-7 mil/yr range.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He's a good player, and I'd love to keep him. We don't have the cap room though, so off he goes to somewhere else.

Agreed. A glance at Capfriendly suggests that Gardiner will walk, OR that we will have some more significant cutting that will need to be done somewhere.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Is anyone disappointed to see yet another player of value walk from this team with nothing to show for it? Would you like to see Dubas trade his rights prior to July 1st so we can at least recoup even a sliver of his value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad