The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Florida beat Detroit 3-2. It was in regulation, the best would have been a Florida OT win. Either way, Florida remain 2 points ahead of Habs and still hold 2 games in hand. Detroit remains 2 points ahead of Habs and they hold 1 game in hand.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Florida beat Detroit 3-2. It was in regulation, the best would have been a Florida OT win. Either way, Florida remain 2 points ahead of Habs and still hold 2 games in hand. Detroit remains 2 points ahead of Habs and they hold 1 game in hand.

That bum Huberdeau scored with just 8 seconds left.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
What is Dahlin going to go if he gets drafted by Arizona?
They should really move this team in a city where people care more about hockey.

They made the playoffs 8 times(7 first round exit) in 21 seasons.

Last edited:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
The more I think about it the more I see how far the Habs have regressed. It is unreal how bad this team really is, MB has set the team back to the 90's and not the good 90's.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What is Dahlin going to go if he gets drafted by Arizona?
They should really move this team in a city where people care more about hockey.

They made the playoffs 8 times(7 first round exit) in 21 seasons.

.... And I bet the vast majority of those playoff appearances were back in the Phoenix days, where they actually spent money, and talents like roenick, Gartner, doan, tkachuk, khabibulin ronning etc... Guess what, I don't recall attendance being an issue back then.

If you remain as uncompetitive as teams like Florida and Arizona have for such a long time, you are pretty much doomed regardless of what city you play in. That could easily be Tampa Bay if they had the same magnitude of ineptitude.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Looks like Dahlin is becoming more and more of a pipe dream.

We're only 7 points behind Philly for playoffs with 30 games to go including 3 head to head against them.

Canadarocks66

Jan 5, 2018
I'm glad I've seen Cups in my lifetime. This organization is an embarrassment and no cups since 1993 is disgraceful. A commitment to mediocrity is all I say. Not one legitimate 20 something star on on this team as they have done best to ruin Alex Galchenyuk. His best bet is to get out of town and salvage his career away from these inept buffoons. It is really going to hurt watching Toronto lift a cup before Montreal does. Oh well, they finally put competent management in place and did the proper tank job to secure Auston Matthews and just being bad were able to secure Marner and Nylander. All 3 are better than anything the 6th defenseman Bergevin has put on the ice.

Montreal- now the place where young talent goes to rot.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

We're only 7 points behind Philly for playoffs with 30 games to go including 3 head to head against them.

Yea but they always play us hard.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

We’re not just 7 points back because we have to win while all the other teams ahead of us who are closer also have to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pacciosoftie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Man your playoff dream makes you sound so nuts. We’re not just 7 points back because we have to win while all the other teams ahead of us who are closer also have to lose.

You act like you're the gm of the team though.

If I was the GM, or had any control whatsoever on what Bergevin does - I'd want him to sell assets where it makes sense. Trade Pacioretty? Sure if we get a decent return.

I still prefer when the teams wins, vs lose. If we do somehow stage a comeback and make the playoffs, it will make for an absolutely epic run. It will also mean we'd be entering the playoffs as the hottest team in the league with the best goalie in the league. Could be a lot of fun.

We're 7 points back but a win streak can still bring us back in the race. Most wildcard teams are pacing for 86-90 points atm. I don't think that total is completely unrealistic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yea but they always play us hard.

Yup. Obviously our margin of error is inexistant - and even so we'll need some luck on top of it too to stand a chance.

But if we start to string some victories together, anything's possible. 29 games is a LOT of time left.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

If I was the GM, or had any control whatsoever on what Bergevin does - I'd want him to sell assets where it makes sense. Trade Pacioretty? Sure if we get a decent return.

I still prefer when the teams wins, vs lose. If we do somehow stage a comeback and make the playoffs, it will make for an absolutely epic run. It will also mean we'd be entering the playoffs as the hottest team in the league with the best goalie in the league. Could be a lot of fun.

We're 7 points back but a win streak can still bring us back in the race. Most wildcard teams are pacing for 86-90 points atm. I don't think that total is completely unrealistic.

yeah you're dreaming buddy

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
yeah you're dreaming buddy

How am I dreaming? I didn't say we're going to make the playoffs. Just enjoying the victories. And I realize that if we do manage to string enough victories together - we can stage a comeback.

I'm not sitting here telling everyone we'll make the playoffs.

I just said it's not fully out of reach yet.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
How am I dreaming? I didn't say we're going to make the playoffs. Just enjoying the victories. And I realize that if we do manage to string enough victories together - we can stage a comeback.

I'm not sitting here telling everyone we'll make the playoffs.

I just said it's not fully out of reach yet.

And if we make the playoffs, we have absolutely 0 chance of going all the way, and we'd be playing ourselves out of a top pick.

And the cycle of mediocrity continues...

Heck, it'd probably mean Bergevin not losing his job on top of it.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs won't finish lower than Arizona, Buffalo or Ottawa, Vancouver, and maybe a couple of others. They will possibly draft between 5th and 8th. No big centermen available then... Some interesting wingers and d-men, though....

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

It’s completely unrealistic because of my point you completely ignored. Philly would still need to lose games and there are a bunch of teams ahead of us who would also need to lose for that win streak to matter.

How am I acting like the GM? If I was I’d have your opinion because if I didn’t believe in the team I built I’d be fired.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Habs won't finish lower than Arizona, Buffalo or Ottawa, Vancouver, and maybe a couple of others. They will possibly draft between 5th and 8th. No big centermen available then... Some interesting wingers and d-men, though....

This isn't the year to find a centre. 2019 and 2020 are.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
For all those stats watchers.

Florida sits at a 14.4% chance to make playoffs according to sportsclubstats. Weren't they at like ~2% like we were at the all star break? And now 3 wins later they're at almost 15%.

Put a few victories together and your odds change quickly.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This isn't the year to find a centre. 2019 and 2020 are.

I'm warming up to Veleno. His production in Drumondville is certainly encouraging.

In the top 5? Probably not. With a pick around 15? I'd be very happy.

For all those stats watchers.

Florida sits at a 14.4% chance to make playoffs according to sportsclubstats. Weren't they at like ~2% like we were at the all star break? And now 3 wins later they're at almost 15%.

Put a few victories together and your odds change quickly.

I think everyone understands basic maths. It's just not in the team's best interests to make the playoffs.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm warming up to Veleno. His production in Drumondville is certainly encouraging.

In the top 5? Probably not. With a pick around 15? I'd be very happy.

Montreal has three second round picks. They need to pull a Boston and find some top six centres in the second round (Bergeron, Krejci)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
And if we make the playoffs, we have absolutely 0 chance of going all the way, and we'd be playing ourselves out of a top pick.

And the cycle of mediocrity continues...

Heck, it'd probably mean Bergevin not losing his job on top of it.

Yeah I don't like Bergevin and want him gone too.

I'm always optimistic when we enter the playoffs. Obviously we wouldn't be a top contender or anything, but if our goalie gets hot at the right time nothing is impossible. So no I think if we made the playoffs I would feel optimistic about our chances at the very least in round 1. Then after round 1, it snowballs. Once you make it to round 2 anything is possible, and so on.

Finally - I don't think that tanking/the draft is the only means to contending (nor do I even believe that necessarily has a strong chance of success). With a competent GM, we can make some moves in the off-season. Maybe we get lucky and sign someone like Tavares. Maybe we make some trades and get some actual decent players to address some of our needs. I think with a smart/capable GM we'd be able to turn out fortunes around by retooling, without a full rebuild.

It’s completely unrealistic because of my point you completely ignored. Philly would still need to lose games and there are a bunch of teams ahead of us who would also need to lose for that win streak to matter.

How am I acting like the GM? If I was I’d have your opinion because if I didn’t believe in the team I built I’d be fired.

Well right now Philly (and every other team in the race) is pacing for below 90 points. Does that continue? Does 1 or 2 of those teams get hot and finish at 98 points, and does that become the magic# where the last playoff spot is awarded? Maybe. Impossible to say of course.

But if the last playoff spot takes 90 points, as today's pace seems to indicate. It's not that unrealistic that with a win streak we can still reach that total. If we win our next 3 games (as an example). That would leave us with needing to finish our last 26 games of the season with 34 points. That gets us 90 points. It's not quite as unrealistic as you think.

Finally what I meant when i say "acting like gm". Everyone in these threads gets upset when I mention playoffs. It's not like i'm advocating we should be buyers, and trade our 1st round pick or other prospects to make a push for playoffs. All i'm doing is trying to stay optimistic and hoping we can start winning some games with our roster - our roster which SHOULD be playing better than it is. All of our players are having horrible years. That's crazy.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think everyone understands basic maths. It's just not in the team's best interests to make the playoffs.

Not everyone ;)

We'll see what happens. I'll never be convinced that missing the playoffs is ever a good idea i don't think.

Jul 6, 2016
Montreal has three second round picks. They need to pull a Boston and find some top six centres in the second round (Bergeron, Krejci)

They just need to package some picks to get the player they really want.

Jul 6, 2016
Not everyone ;)

We'll see what happens. I'll never be convinced that missing the playoffs is ever a good idea i don't think.

For Mr Molson. it is a must. He is paying MB and CJ like 10 M$ a year.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad