The Official PROSPECT BRAG Thread

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Andrej Sekera is playing well in his first real full time call-up in Buffalo - stealing all of Brian Campbell's minutes - He's had nights of 25 and 26 minutes - was +5 without scoring any points tonight - and is + 11 (yes, eleven) in his last three games, while averaging over 21 minutes.

With Alex Picard playing major minutes in Tampa Bay, I think some of those Flames prospect reviews that dissed the Flames talent on D may have to be upgraded next year ;)

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
HFNHL Rangers goalie prospect Kevin Regan (UNH) was also named a Hobey Baker finalist and was tied for 2nd in the NCAA in save percentage with a .934. He lead Hockey East with a 1.80 GAA and was named Hockey East player of the year, Unfortunately, he's too old to qualify for the Mountain Dew endorsement, but the Rangers are very happy with his success this season. New Hampshire was just knocked out of the Hockey East tourney by Boston College, but Regan made 67 (!) saves in the losing effort. His season will continue when the NCAA tournament begins and then will turn pro next season.

Here's his writeup on USCHO.com:
Kevin Regan — New Hampshire, Senior Goalie (South Boston, Mass.)

The assistant captain backstopped his Wildcats to the Hockey East league title while leading the league with a 1.80 goals-against average. His overall save percentage of .934 is tied for second in the country. Regan was named First Team Hockey East along and won the conference’s Player of the Year award. The Business/Finance major has earned All-Academic Hockey East accolades three times and has made the UNH Dean’s list every semester of his career.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Welcome to pro hockey Ben Bishop! The University of Maine Black Bear signed with the St Louis (NHL) Blues and will finish the season with Peoria. The 6'7'' goalie played behind a poor team this year, but still put up a .920 save percentage.

Quite an eventful first win for Ben Bishop. Not only did he pickup the win, he cleaned the clock of Jason Bacashihua in a fight. Needless to say, the 6'7'' 220 pound Bishop got the win.

"Bishop saw this and took off, never hesitating. He hit Bacashihua on the run, and in one motion ripped off the goaltender’s mask and started firing punches.

I asked Bacashihua afterward about it, and he said: “I was just trying to grab (Peoria defenseman) Alex Brooks. Next thing I know, my helmet is ripped off my head and some 6-foot-7 goaltender is standing there wanting to fight me.â€

Bishop had a fight as a junior player with the Texas Tornado, four years ago. I asked him if he had a plan this time as he zeroed in on Bacashihua.
“Did I have a plan?†he said. “Yeah. Win.â€

His teammates love this kid. The fans were thrilled with him. And one feels like something special has been launched for the Blues."

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/032208/RIV_BG4HARQO.W02.php

(I. LOVE. THIS. GUY)

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Another day in the life of Kevin Porter, as the Michigan captain scored 4 of the Wolverines' 5 goals in their first-round NCAA Tournament win over Niagara. Porter currently leads all NCAA scorers in points (60), goals (32), and points-per-game (1.46).

It's been quite a season for Porter. At the time he was drafted, several publications labeled him as having hands of stone. Porter has always scored high marks for character, and he obviously took the "stone-hands" comments to heart, as he has lead Michigan in goal-scoring for three straight seasons. Porter also is the first Wolverine to score at least 20 goals in back-to-back seasons since another Duck, Mike Cammalleri...something neither Jeff Tambellini nor T.J. Hensick was able to do.

He's certainly not a shoo-in to become a first or second line player in the NHL, but you've gotta love Porter's work ethic and leadership qualities. He has captained club and country, and he's lead a young team that LOST T.J. Hensick and Jack Johnson to far greater heights than anyone expected at season's outset.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Another day in the life of Kevin Porter, as the Michigan captain scored 4 of the Wolverines' 5 goals in their first-round NCAA Tournament win over Niagara. Porter currently leads all NCAA scorers in points (60), goals (32), and points-per-game (1.46).

It's been quite a season for Porter. At the time he was drafted, several publications labeled him as having hands of stone. Porter has always scored high marks for character, and he obviously took the "stone-hands" comments to heart, as he has lead Michigan in goal-scoring for three straight seasons. Porter also is the first Wolverine to score at least 20 goals in back-to-back seasons since another Duck, Mike Cammalleri...something neither Jeff Tambellini nor T.J. Hensick was able to do.

He's certainly not a shoo-in to become a first or second line player in the NHL, but you've gotta love Porter's work ethic and leadership qualities. He has captained club and country, and he's lead a young team that LOST T.J. Hensick and Jack Johnson to far greater heights than anyone expected at season's outset.

Porter's linemate Chad Kolarik had 5 assists in that game. He's now 3rd in the league in scoring with 53 points in 37 games. Had he not missed those 4 games, he'd be up in 58-59 points. It will be intresting to see how these two guys will keep developing in the AHL next year. Colorado prospect Nathan Gerbe is 2nd in league scoring with 57 points in 39 games.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Andrej Sekera is playing well in his first real full time call-up in Buffalo - stealing all of Brian Campbell's minutes - He's had nights of 25 and 26 minutes - was +5 without scoring any points tonight - and is + 11 (yes, eleven) in his last three games, while averaging over 21 minutes.

Yeah Mike Webers helping inflate Sekera's +/- for you. Weber and Sekera have been paired together alot lately. Weber is +13 in only 14 games. Before Weber's latest called up Sekera was a -7, after he was paired with Weber he's a +11. Hmmm ... coincidence?

In only 14 games Weber has the best +/- by a long shot over any of Buffalo's dmen and is tied for 2nd on the team overall.

Koistinen has been a pleasant surprise defensively as well. His +13 in 47 games is well ahead of the next best of Ryan Suter and Greg DeVries both at +4.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Yeah Mike Webers helping inflate Sekera's +/- for you.

Yeah, Webers been great, those two have been playing major minutes and proving they belong in the NHL. It's good to see that Buffalo isn't tanking after losing those free agents even though they didn't make the playoffs. Some good young players coming up.

Also: Pascal Pelletier was named as an AHL 1st Star

Pascal Pelletier, Left Wing (Providence Bruins):
In just his second full AHL season, 24-year-old Pascal Pelletier is the leading scorer on the top team in the league, tallying 35 goals and adding 35 assists for 70 points in 67 games for the Providence Bruins. A native of Labrador City, Nfld., Pelletier also owns a plus-20 rating and has scored a team-high 13 power-play goals, and compiled a nine-game scoring streak from Oct. 24 to Nov. 18. Pelletier, the CCM/AHL Player of the Month for December, made his NHL debut with the Boston Bruins on Jan. 17 and has appeared in six games for the parent club this season.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
And a special note for the Penguins:

Adam Berti, LW, Chicago, played his first NHL game tonight.

Berti was one of the players traded to Calgary by Pittsburgh for Derek Morris. The other two players were Wojtek Wolski and RJ Umberger.

:naughty:

Brent Burns Beard