The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He is an amateur scout; He cannot hold a candle in tactics to an NHL coach. He cannot make a counter argument to their strategies on how it can be improved. He has to let his coach dictate to a certain degree. I would not in any way excuse Dorion in this way. He is a bumbling fool, that is less than honest with the fans, makes poor decisions that have cost this team dearly in giving up too much and not getting enough back. He has overestimated the roster he has given Boucher to coach and set the team on a course to fail on the ice, in building his roster, and in being able to give confidence in the ability to turn things around sufficiently to make his best players want to stay. I would say Dorion is the single biggest problem on this team.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. I believe Dorion and Melnyk are the biggest equally shared problem with this team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Am I the only one completely baffled how someone lauded as a great amateur scout is unable to scout professional players and teams? It's not like teenage hockey players turn into different creatures like some sort of pokemon game. Or is the nepotism so deep that he's been riding someone elses coattails all along?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He was basically handed the job when he hadn't accomplished anything to deserve it. He was the head of scouting for a while and had pretty mixed success. I dont know which players he is responsible for picking. Karlsson was obviously a great pick. Can give him credit for Hoffman and pageau as well. I wont give him credit for Stone because Bob Lowe apparently was begging for them to draft stone earlier and they took a few busts and luckily got him when they did.

He had 2 seasons as a co assistant gm where the ahl team was bad. Bryan Murray had the advisor role set up after his contract was up and he picked Dorion ro take over the role.

Dorion didn't deserve the opportunity based on performance and since he has been a GM he has just proved that he isn't fit for the role.

Most organizations fire gm for poor performance but in Ottawa we apparently reward them with contract extensions.

If this team ever got sold Dorion would quickly be fired or at the very least demoted.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Am I the only one completely baffled how someone lauded as a great amateur scout is unable to scout professional players and teams? It's not like teenage hockey players turn into different creatures like some sort of pokemon game. Or is the nepotism so deep that he's been riding someone elses coattails all along?

Was he really a great amateur scout? Who did he draft or scout? It seems like many of our great picks were because of other scouts and he just approved drafting them maybe he hired those scouts or something. But I wonder which players he specifically scouted and picked

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree with everything except the last sentence. I believe Dorion and Melnyk are the biggest equally shared problem with this team.
I definitely hear you. My argument for Dorion takimng the cake here is that; 1. He is the hockey ops guy and he has to envision the roster within a set budget .. He has to evaluate and make it work within his operational limits... not unlike many managers that have a budget and a framework in which to operate. Dorion choses to involve Melnyk for reasons we can only speculate but its been blatantly obvious that they have no idea what they are doing..A budget is a budget.... How much can I spend this year? How much can I spend next year? and How much can we spend in Y3 Y4 Y5 etc.
Not rocket science .. You think Sam Pollock or Scotty Bowman are going to invite Melnyk in the conversation of how they spend that money? Dorion is weak , its blatantly obvious. A strong GM wouldasay How much can I spend Y1,Y2, y3, Y4 ... OK... Financial side done.. Now ... Hockey ops decisions to fit that...Dorion does not operate like that he is at the micro level with Melnyk in step..

Reactions: Icelevel

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Lol I'm not even going to bring up his trades. HE SIGNED MARK STONE TO A ONE YEAR DEAL.
Do you honestly think this was Dorion's choice? Really? I am at a loss for words if the posters on this board think Stone signing for a one year deal was Dorion's decision.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You trade his rfa rights before you give him a year deal. A one year deal on the final rfa year is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
How many times has it been done? Honest question. I can’t imagjne it ever being dumb because it’s so senseless.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Do you honestly think this was Dorion's choice? Really? I am at a loss for words if the posters on this board think Stone signing for a one year deal was Dorion's decision.
If Dorion had an once of vision and a plan he would have traded him before he had his back against the wall.
10 days before the TDL lol
EVERY GM is waiting for him with a low offer because they know he has to trade Stone or he will lose him
Talk about leverage lol
The guy can't maximize the return in a single trade

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If Dorion had an once of vision and a plan he would have traded him before he had his back against the wall.
EVERY GM is waiting for him with a low offer because they know he has to trade Stone or he will lose him
Talk about leverage lol
Trading Stone this past summer would of caused a worse fan melt down then what we are/will be seeing.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Trading Stone this past summer would of caused a worse fan melt down then what we are/will be seeing.
Of course
But who cares they are running it to the ground anyway and they don't care about the fans
Next year they will miss 73 of the 175 goals of the team so far lol
The melt down will continuer couple of years
What is one more?

Reactions: Deku and topshelf15

Raiderman74

Sep 27, 2009

I kind of agree. Trading them now seems inevitable because we know the state of the franchise. In the summer, some of the fan base didn’t want to believe how bad it was.

Stone signing that 1 year deal was a guarantee that he was gone after this year. RFAs don’t sign 1 year deals.

The sad thing, I agree with a post above. No matter what returns OTTAWA gets, it doesn’t matter. Once a star player reaches UFA status they are out off here. Not due to the city or the team. It’s a toxic organization and they don’t want to be a part of it. Our only saving grace is if Melnyk were to sell.

I look forward to the spins that Melnyk and Dorion make on the trades. They will be laughable.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Talk about leverage lol

So you think the jets are going to offer less then Calgary because Dorion? Or Boston won't outbid a garbage offer? The market will set itself to the value of the player. Im sure half the fans will freak out how it's not enough. Completely ignoring what they themselves would sacrifice for a rental. How many years later do people still hear about Laich?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I kind of agree. Trading them now seems inevitable because we know the state of the franchise. In the summer, some of the fan base didn’t want to believe how bad it was.

Stone signing that 1 year deal was a guarantee that he was gone after this year. RFAs don’t sign 1 year deals.

The sad thing, I agree with a post above. No matter what returns OTTAWA gets, it doesn’t matter. Once a star player reaches UFA status they are out off here. Not due to the city or the team. It’s a toxic organization and they don’t want to be a part of it. Our only saving grace is if Melnyk were to sell.

I look forward to the spins that Melnyk and Dorion make on the trades. They will be laughable.
Or if he can pull off the new arena. I think it would do wonders for the organization. Players could live downtown in a nice neighbourhood close to a new rink. Ticket sales would hopefully increase and Ottawa wont have to be a team that takes from the revenue sharing.

I am of the opinion the arena is the biggest problem. I live in Calgary and have been to games in Edmonton and it is just such a different experience. I love watching the Sens but I dont see how people regularly make the drive to Kanata through traffic in shitty weather to pay for over priced parking, food, drinks, ect

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Or if he can pull off the new arena. I think it would do wonders for the organization. Players could live downtown in a nice neighbourhood close to a new rink. Ticket sales would hopefully increase and Ottawa wont have to be a team that takes from the revenue sharing.

I am of the opinion the arena is the biggest problem. I live in Calgary and have been to games in Edmonton and it is just such a different experience. I love watching the Sens but I dont see how people regularly make the drive to Kanata through traffic in ****ty weather to pay for over priced parking, food, drinks, ect

I am of the opinion that with Melnyk at the helm, nothing will ever get better.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am of the opinion that with Melnyk at the helm, nothing will ever get better.
Thing is I agree. BUT. He sets a budget. Other teams have budgets as well. If this is planned properly we can be competitive year in year out but it never is. We get good players then surround them with shit by overpaying over crappy players then we go over the budget no one wants our crappy players so we have to get rid of stars.

Like. We had a freaking budget and dorion like spontaneously trades for a a guy due a massive raise in a year and a half in duchene and then ONE MONTH later he and the owner make a pact to tear the team down and guess what we still have those guys who we have to trade 10 days until a very strict deadline lmao.

Last year he clearly just did not trade karlsson in time. He just completely dropped the ball he had all year to trade karlsson and couldn’t do it. And then Hoffman fiasco I mean.......

The guy had Hoffman stone duchene karlsson dzingel and A) couldn’t put a solid team around them. He was surrounding them with guys like Johnny oduya, Nate thompson, GABRIEL DUMONT, Tom pyatt, zack smith. (And not for cheap either, if I was his boss I would be giving dorion a orettt strict budget as wel) and B) he’s going to flub every single one of those trades. (Now thank likely).

Like you have 5 stars. Either win with them. Or trade them for great future assets. He’s about to do NEITHER.

Reactions: BatherSeason

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thing is I agree. BUT. He sets a budget. Other teams have budgets as well. If this is planned properly we can be competitive year in year out but it never is. We get good players then surround them with **** by overpaying over crappy players then we go over the budget no one wants our crappy players so we have to get rid of stars.

Like. We had a freaking budget and dorion like spontaneously trades for a a guy due a massive raise in a year and a half in duchene and then ONE MONTH later he and the owner make a pact to tear the team down and guess what we still have those guys who we have to trade 10 days until a very strict deadline lmao.

Last year he clearly just did not trade karlsson in time. He just completely dropped the ball he had all year to trade karlsson and couldn’t do it. And then Hoffman fiasco I mean.......

The guy had Hoffman stone duchene karlsson dzingel and A) couldn’t put a solid team around them. He was surrounding them with guys like Johnny oduya, Nate thompson, GABRIEL DUMONT, Tom pyatt, zack smith. (And not for cheap either, if I was his boss I would be giving dorion a orettt strict budget as wel) and B) he’s going to flub every single one of those trades. (Now thank likely).

Like you have 5 stars. Either win with them. Or trade them for great future assets. He’s about to do NEITHER.
You cant budget your way to anything more than a budget team that gets budget results

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thing is I agree. BUT. He sets a budget. Other teams have budgets as well. If this is planned properly we can be competitive year in year out but it never is. We get good players then surround them with **** by overpaying over crappy players then we go over the budget no one wants our crappy players so we have to get rid of stars.

To be fair, Duchene wasn't looking like he'd get a massive raise when we traded for him. He'd been a 50-60 pts player for the past 3 years before we traded for him. We gave up enough assets in the trade for a guy due for a massive raise though...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Most of you guys seem to have yourselves worked up into such a tizzy that i am not sure it matters what happens this week, it's going to be universally panned

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
You trade his rfa rights before you give him a year deal. A one year deal on the final rfa year is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
Exactly. The team had some leverage and they gave it all away. I just can't wrap my mind around it. You either sign him to a multi-year deal or you trade him. There are no other good options here.

As I've said before, it's inexcusable.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Most of you guys seem to have yourselves worked up into such a tizzy that i am not sure it matters what happens this week, it's going to be universally panned

It will probably be panned because, based on precedent, it will probably be bad.

You can't blame people for seeing a very obvious pattern with this management, and assuming that the pattern will continue. That's just fundamentally basic and rational thinking.

If anything, assuming the deal will be a good one ("good", in this case, is getting close to full value for the player within the context of their current value) would be faulty reasoning, based on precedence.

This just sounds like you're building up to an excuse where you can dismiss any criticism of the upcoming trade because you "predicted" that people would dislike it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It will probably be panned because, based on precedent, it will probably be bad.

You can't blame people for seeing a very obvious pattern with this management, and assuming that the pattern will continue. That's just fundamentally basic and rational thinking.

If anything, assuming the deal will be a good one ("good", in this case, is getting close to full value for the player within the context of their current value) would be faulty reasoning, based on precedence.

This just sounds like you're building up to an excuse where you can dismiss any criticism of the upcoming trade because you "predicted" that people would dislike it.

Ya that's great Bonk. You keep believing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad