The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Forgot about the Tychonick trade but the 3rd rounder was actually a downgrade. We gave up a higher 3rd rounder to get PIT's lower 3rd rounder. I think that washes out Tychonick in my mind, so really it's Gus and JBD for a 2nd line center at the time. Again, as I said I'll reserve judgement until Gus/JBD develop. I didn't this trade towards my scorecard.

Historically, the difference between a high and a low 3rd rounder is pretty damn negligible, certainly not enough to cancel out getting a mid 2nd round pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We didn't just get Gustavsson. We also got the 22nd overall pick, and a 3rd rounder in the 2019 draft.

The 22nd overall pick, we then used to trade back 4 spots in the draft to the 26 spot to get the guy we were going to take at 22 anyways (Bernard-Docker), and picked up the 2nd rounder that turned into Jonny Tychonick in the trade as well.

So in a roundabout way, we traded Brassard (and a 3rd) for:
- Gus
- Bernard-Docker
- Tychonick
- a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft.

I dislike Dorion and think he deserves to be fired, but I'll always give someone credit when it's due, and he made out pretty well in that little package of trades. A lot of his moves are bad IMO, but that doesn't mean they all are.

Obviously it all hinges on 3 future assets (the 3rd rounders are a wash), so in that context everything is TBD, but the trade value was there.
Sens also got Cole who they flipped for a 2020 3rd

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
7Bbavo.jpg

That poll is generous.

Dorion replaced Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman and Karlsson with Duchene, Tierney, Boedker and DeMelo.

What kind of futures did he get in return for taking such a massive downgrade in the short-term?

JBD, Tychonick, Gustavsson, Norris, Balcers, SJ 2020 1st, FLA 2019 2nd

Good group of futures for sure. However, in those deals he also gave up Bowers, Berggren and what is shaping up to be a top 5 pick in 2019 (potentially Hughes/Kakko), which I would take over that much larger group of prospects/picks.

In summary? Dorion has made us much worse in the short-term and the long-term with his short sighted moves. As deserving of an F-grade as I've ever seen.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
In defence of PD, he has been doing everything his boss has told him.
He still has autonomy to make hockey deals when the budget permits. I doubt EM is looking at particulars like players stats and how they would mesh within the team. The onus is on Pierre for that. And he sucks so hard at it.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Unfortunately the starting point of this process was moving the 6th overall pick in 2011... picking that high ended up being a waste

Yeah, this is why I could never give PD full credit for the 2nd Brassard trade, even though the value is fine (and made better by trading down, although K'Andre Miller would look great in our system right now). We were only in a position to be trading off an older asset because of his idiocy in the first place.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just remembered that someone told me I didn't understand math because I said that the notion that "We're a better team than last year because we have a better projection right now in November than we finished with last season" was absurd and made little sense.

Well, now we can use math in that same incorrect, dishonest way and come to the correct conclusion that we are worse than last year.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Just remembered that someone told me I didn't understand math because I said that the notion that "We're a better team than last year because we have a better projection right now in November than we finished with last season" was absurd and made little sense.

Well, now we can use math in that same incorrect, dishonest way and come to the correct conclusion that we are worse than last year.

Twas a hilarious argument which I too remember, yeah we look a lot better this year lol, probably be even more improved next season after we ship out the rest of the locker room problems who happen to be really good at hockey and require high salary payments....then its lockout time baby, nice to be a Sens fan!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

The longer Dorion remains in charge, the worse the team gets in the short and long term. Through gross negligence and incompetence he harms the product on and off the ice every single day.

I feel the same way of Boucher as well who imo will have ruined a few promising players by the end of this year.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Perron is probably the second best asset from that EK deal

28GP 27Pts 22yrs old leading an AHL team that’s 20-7-1-3

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

They only got 2 pieces, we got 6.
Even the cavity between PDs ears knows 6 is better than 2. ;)

Reactions: Que

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

No way. Small-ish player who doesn't have the fight in him to excel in the NHL. He'll be an elite AHLer for his whole career though. He will never be better than Balcers, Norris or Tierney. Imo anyways.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Imagine a player agent has a pending $80 million contract to sign for his client and he can't find time in his calendar to set a meeting to negotiate. Now imagine this happening twice for Duchene and Stone.

That's ridiculous is this? we are being fed this charade that the players agents have to find time to schedule meetings to sign their clients to their biggest contracts of their lives.

This is ridiculous, this is an embarrassment to the Ottawa Senators and its fanbase, the club is pretending it wants to spend all this money but they just can't get the agents to find the time to accept $160 million. .And I haven't even mentioned Dzingel who will be getting about $30 million.

Dorion stop dicking this fanbase around and just be honest. You'd rather make yourself look incompetent and lie to the fanbase then be a man and say 'we haven't done a good enough job here to keep the foundational players you need to build a stable franchise that is competitive. So we are starting with a new generation and my job from here on in is to get these young players to buy in by creating a winning culture and rewarding them for their talents.'

Instead we get 'we are a team, with skates and sticks, and pucks to play hockey.'

Why is this team so bad at everything it does?

Reactions: inthewings

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Imagine a player agent has a pending $80 million contract to sign for his client and he can't find time in his calendar to set a meeting to negotiate. Now imagine this happening twice for Duchene and Stone.

That's ridiculous is this? we are being fed this charade that the players agents have to find time to schedule meetings to sign their clients to their biggest contracts of their lives.

This is ridiculous, this is an embarrassment to the Ottawa Senators and its fanbase, the club is pretending it wants to spend all this money but they just can't get the agents to find the time to accept $160 million. .And I haven't even mentioned Dzingel who will be getting about $30 million.

Dorion stop dicking this fanbase around and just be honest. You'd rather make yourself look incompetent and lie to the fanbase then be a man and say 'we haven't done a good enough job here to keep the foundational players you need to build a stable franchise that is competitive. So we are starting with a new generation and my job from here on in is to get these young players to buy in by creating a winning culture and rewarding them for their talents.'

Instead we get 'we are a team, with skates and sticks, and pucks to play hockey.'

Pierre is a busy guy bro. He has to catch Maury at 11, and he has to make some French Toast crunch for a casual brunch with his gf.

Reactions: Tuna99

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It's almost like we've seen this show before...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Is this surprising?

What were Dorion's comments about the Turris contract with Nashville? "He never offered us the same."
What were his comments about the Karlsson negotiations? "He never came to us."

It's the same thing we're starting to hear now about Duchene and Stone.

It's as if Dorion actually believes that when trying to keep a player in Ottawa, the onus is on the player and agent to negotiate, and not him. That or he's just a big ass lier.

Reactions: Deku and Gesus

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
PD knows what he has to spend ,which by the way is a word that rhymes with the word........" hero"

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Did I miss something?? Did Dorion speak today? If so, did he say a whole lot while saying absolutely nothing again?? He is good at that.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Not a ****ing chance is Perron the second best asset in the trade.

Well, it can definitely be argued that Perron is a better asset than Balcers. It can also be argued that Demelo and Tierney are not pieces for the rebuild, but rather, filler for the next couple of years who will leave by the time we're ready to compete.

So when you break it down, the return of the "most important trade for this rebuild", as Dorion mentioned, is Josh Norris and what projects to be a 1st round pick in the 20's.

Not great.

It's also been widely speculated that Dorion got stuck on the idea of "6 pieces" and passed on offers that were lower in quantity, but higher in quality. When was the last time quality for quantity worked out, for anyone?

Reactions: DrEasy and Sens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad