The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It is the "right" kid. Just because you are a kid doesn't automatically mean you get to play. You have to be good. Show something.

Chabot showed nothing? If I recall, wasn't he better than most in camp last year? Either way, point being that this team could have integrated youth last year and instead opted for older, much slower players. Bizarre strategy in this day and age

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I get where you're coming from, and you're not entirely wrong either. That being said, you'd have to expect the scoring pace of some of (most of?) our guys to come down a bit here.

I mean, there's no way that guys like Tierney, Tkachuk, Chabot and Lajoie will continue to go (anywhere near) PPG. There's going to be a scoring regression and if we don't make defensive adjustments it's going to bite us in the rear.

Oh absolutely. I'm definitely not believing that Lajoie is going to score 50+ goals for us or that Tkachuk is going to be a 120-point player in his first year.

But at the same time, you still have Duchene who is goalless, Stone who has 2, Boedker who has 1 and Dzingel who has 2 who still haven't really got it going yet. Maybe as the others start dropping off slightly we'll start seeing these 4 really pick up the scoring? Stone alone was over a PPG last year. You'd have to think that he's going to start producing big offensive numbers at some point. And what about Duchene? Dude has been an absolute beast on the puck so far and seems to have a mission this year of not losing a single battle for the puck in the offensive zone. It's just been unbelievable to watch him so far. How long before he starts lighting the lamp consistently?

At the end of the day, and I know it's still very early, I really like the way this team is playing. Could we be a little better defensively? For. Sure. No question about it. But this is kind of the hallmark of young defensive teams and it might even be a small symptom of the defensive philosophy of the team. I'm still not sure where I stand on our defensive play, but giving up a goal a piece to Dallas and LA in 2 straight games is a pretty good start to turning things around there.

And the fact is, this team plays with a speed and tempo that we just simply didn't play with last year. Everything is executed with speed. Zone breakouts. Transitions. Cross-ice passes. Crossing the offensive blueline. Backchecking. Getting to loose pucks in the corners and along the boards. Closing out players with the puck when killing penalties. Defensemen jumping in to the play in the offensive zone. Players rushing to support puck battles when they sense an opportunity to win back the puck.

Totally different mentality. And if this is the way they are going to play all year and not just for these first few games then it's going to be a totally unexpected result at the end of the year, whether it's enough to make the playoffs or not.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
October 15, 2018, 7:30 PM
Attendance: 12,358
Not terrible, considering there were the options of a MLB CS game, and a MNF game, for people to stay at home and watch instead.

About a year ago, on Tuesday October 17, 2017, the Sens vs Canucks game drew 13,430
free tickets really spike that number though

Ottawa knows the sales are an issue or else Dorion would not have brought it up as the one thing he wants to happen this year

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

Ottawa knows the sales are an issue or else Dorion would not have brought it up as the one thing he wants to happen this year

I doubt they'd ever let it out, but does anyone know the extent to which the building is being papered? As I understand it, it wasn't really happening last season, but is now happening this season?

Is that 13,430 number from last season an actual paid attendance, where the 12,358 from last night was paid PLUS papered? Not trying to debate, I just want to be certain I'm understanding how things are working currently....

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I doubt they'd ever let it out, but does anyone know the extent to which the building is being papered? As I understand it, it wasn't really happening last season, but is now happening this season?

Is that 13,430 number from last season an actual paid attendance, where the 12,358 from last night was paid PLUS papered? Not trying to debate, I just want to be certain I'm understanding how things are working currently....

From what I understand they weren't papering the attendance at all last season, so the 13,430 number is (seemingly) legit paid attendance.

We 100% sold under 11k for last game, so I would assume that's the papered number.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I think I'd be buying in to the rebuild if the team had re-signed Stone or Duchesne or even if they had traded them for a good package. Or had a first rounder this year.

The team got players for Karl and Hoffman that are OK: Bodeker, Demelo, Tierney. This is keeping the team afloat. But they aren't future stars. The team is still in no man's land where the future isn't that bright (no pick, no young studs for Karl) and the present, despite improved play, is mediocre. Chabot/Tkachuck isn't enough.

It is more of the same as the team won't bottom out to get a bevy of top young guys and won't pay to keep current stars. It's basically a blueprint for being a bubble playoff team in perpetuity.

I'd have preferred if instead of all the crud they received for Karlsson/Hoffman they got one young stud. That should have been easily achievable if managed correctly.

There will be years where you overachieve (playoff run two seasons ago), underachieve (last year) and are a "young exciting team" but it isn't a recipe for being a consistent contender or ever winning a cup.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Imagine a defense with Karlsson Chabot and lajoie.

I still can't believe people are falling for a team who is barely a good team.

I like the young guys but they should have been added to play with stone Duchene and Karlsson. If Duchene or stone walk it's even worse.

Even worse is he has the balls to come on tsn 1200 today and say that he hopes people come to the Game? Really? I thought no one was mad at you? I thought it was just a 'vocal minority'

Enough with being 'pesky' ... Being pesky is not good cause it means you are expected to be weak and u overachieve. That's not how you win a cup

Karlsson being gone is an ownership issue, not a GM issue.

If we keep Karlsson for that defense, then we likely lose Stone+Duchene due to salary restrictions. That's assuming we'd pay him w/ bonuses and a NMC and that he would stay.

Maybe some people like that scenario better, but from a management persepctive when you have Ryan along with all the other dead cash and a near cap floor budget in real money, there's no perfect solution.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
But, we can just blame those on EK, that's what the media and some fans seem to be doing.

Last time I checked, Karlsson on his own can't win hockey games. They played horrible as a team last year. They allowed an insanely unacceptable level of premium scoring chances against, for a team even remotely trying to defend a previous year's Stanley cup final.

Anderson to me looks far better so far this year, than he did last year.

I treat a hockey season like I treat a business. You could look at numbers on a day to day basis, or look at periods in the season, aware there are ups and downs any team will go through to get an accurate picture of how good this team is.

I believe that looking at things in the right light, if this team can continue to only allow perimeter shots, is that goaltending will stabilize itself.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Anyone hear from this clown recently? Looking for an interview where he fumbles words, says a lot of things but doesn't really address any questions.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Anyone hear from this clown recently? Looking for an interview where he fumbles words, says a lot of things but doesn't really address any questions.

Come on. We won't hear from Dorion until either a) Sens win 3 games in a row, or b) he "decides" to fire Boucher

I'm guessing it's b) that will come next.

Reactions: 18Hossa

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I am pretty sure we weren't papering last year. If so, north of 13k last year is miles different than us papering our way to 12k.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new initiative to paper games has masked some of the worst attendance the Senators have received in decades. We used to paper our way to sell outs, now it seems like we are papering our way to 12k games.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He has put together one heck of an entertaining young team to watch. There is no denying that.

Proof is always in the pudding.

Reactions: Tuna99

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd like to amend to add an option C) When he finds another goalie either starter or established backup instead of Mike ****ing McKenna.
Could use a top 4 dman too.

With a competent backup and a D to slot in as our #2 behind Chabot we wouldn't be looking too bad. It seems like their plan is just next man up no matter what though... unless Falk is their big pickup lol.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes he "put" it together alright. All planned. Genius that he is.

Well, It's not exactly fair to get on him for all of the perceived errors he has made, no matter what, and also strip him of all of the successes.

I mean people are still harping on the Duchene trade and the guy is a top 5 scorer in the league over the last calendar year.

The roster we are watching play on the ice right now is absolutely his planned team. These are all his new draft picks, several guys he would have had a hand in drafting, and the few vets are the ones he either traded for or signed save for a select few. He's even gone so far as to have given the coach a mandate, and has officially announced that a rebuild has begun. Yes, the young, fast, exciting team we're watching is his creation.

Personally I find many people in here try so very hard to dismiss the very obvious success that the team has achieved, in exchange for blanket insults and negativity towards a GM that has done a reasonable job in most areas, and an excellent job so far in terms of the team we're seeing on the ice.

The problem I find is that people actually believe that they would do a better job, even though they have to be aware that all of their armchair 'decisions' are done in hindsight, and they never have a clear view of virtually any of the facts surrounding any moves. People actually believe in their hearts that PD could have gotten a better deal for player 'X' based on absolutely zero factual information beyond their 'professional' opinion of the market, and what other GMs 'should' offer. It's pretty silly really.

Being an armchair GM, Scout, Coach, Agent, League Account, Team Laywer, Owner, and even Player, is all supposed to be fantasy fun, you're not supposed to take each other, or yourselves, seriously at the end of the day.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not one long term major deal. Sure doesn't give optimism on handing out the two biggest contracts in Senators history.

We have to let ‘nature take its course’ - or as the rest of the NHL calls it ‘watching the tire fire in Ottawa’

Reactions: Gesus

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He has put together one heck of an entertaining young team to watch. There is no denying that.

Proof is always in the pudding.
Is this entertaining for you? Get out shot by double digits every night and then score a few goals after going down by 3+ goals. That's really what moves the needle for you?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Being an armchair GM, Scout, Coach, Agent, League Account, Team Laywer, Owner, and even Player, is all supposed to be fantasy fun, you're not supposed to take each other, or yourselves, seriously at the end of the day.
Then why do you take it so personally when others do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->