The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I was a GM on some fantasy leagues as a kid, one for over twenty seasons. I sacrificed to compete at all costs. I traded picks like candy.

I was likely the worst GM in any league. But even in fantasy I feel like I was better than Dorion.

He traded the best player in the league for peanuts. Even as a rental we should of got two firsts.

I feel sorry I ever supported any of his trades. Even though Melnyk is a penny pincher we stilll should be better than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satoru Gojo

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Melnyk if you are staying...please for the love of God fire this clown asap

He's basically a yes-man, Pierre Dorion does not think for himself. There's no way Melnyk is ever going to fire Dorion while he is owner.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I gave it an attempt. Would be happy to hear how you argue we got the better deal.

Karlsson worth more than Duchene, I think is a fair assumption (though Duchene did return more)

Girard > Tierny - Give me the 19 year old top 4 D over the 24 year old 2nd/3rd line C
Sens 1st > SJ 1st - Should be obvious
Bowers = Norris - Both similar low upside prospects
Kamenev = Balcers - Both productive AHLers
Nsh 2nd = SJ 2nd - Similar pick ranges
Sens 3rd > DeMelo - Guy that wasn't given a qualifying offer vs 64th overall, simple

Won't count Hammond.

Not even worth a discussion in my mind

This is kind of accurate (although we have no idea yet how these prospects will turn out) BUT there is things to consider here :

- I know it’s not « looking good » right now, but hard to compare the difference in value between those picks (particularly the 1st) because the draft selections haven’t been decided yet. Example, that Sens first could end up being 8th overall but the Sharks in 2020 could end up being 10th overall (let’s say EK left, Thornton retired, others aged a bit more, some players stopped progressing, etc). I don’t know, could even win the « lotto » the way the Canes did in June.

- there is also the 2 conditional picks (impossible to tell for now if they will exist)

- Matt Duchene was traded as a youngish (26) building block/core player. Erik Karlsson was traded like a (vulgar) 1 year rental

That being said, I have no freaking idea how the Melnyk/Dorion duo managed to trade Karlsson like that at probably the worst timing possible

If you stupidly decided to FORCE a rebuild, then trade EK at the deadline. Don’t try to complicate the deal attaching an overpaid forward to it...

Im sure that Vegas deal would have been better, even if no Glass and even if Ryan was attached to it. But seriously Melnyk probably interfered a lot preventing the rookie GM to do his job

An owner should never try to manage a team. Hire the best personnel possible and trust them. What Melnyk is doing is really counter productive

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
At what point do we start to give Dorion credit?

So far, he has proven why he's an NHL exec, and you guys are a bunch of chumps on hfboards.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Emerica

May 29, 2010
At what point do we start to give Dorion credit?

So far, he has proven why he's an NHL exec, and you guys are a bunch of chumps on hfboards.

Lol. I knew this wouldn’t take long. The plan was always to have a bunch of kids in the lineup and hope a few of them overachieve so he can look like a genius.

Newsflash: He’s not.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Dorion’s tactic is to trade quality for quantity and hope one or two pieces turns into somethting so he can later gloat about it.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Dorion is horrendous at the NHL level

Trent Mann is a great scout, we have always been good at scouting. Prospect are not the problem - making incompetent trades and signings at the NHL level is.

Hand this foundation over to quality GM please

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Imagine a defense with Karlsson Chabot and lajoie.

I still can't believe people are falling for a team who is barely a good team.

I like the young guys but they should have been added to play with stone Duchene and Karlsson. If Duchene or stone walk it's even worse.

Even worse is he has the balls to come on tsn 1200 today and say that he hopes people come to the Game? Really? I thought no one was mad at you? I thought it was just a 'vocal minority'

Enough with being 'pesky' ... Being pesky is not good cause it means you are expected to be weak and u overachieve. That's not how you win a cup

Reactions: Chezzz

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Dorion’s tactic is to trade quality for quantity and hope one or two pieces turns into somethting so he can later gloat about it.

Yup, like that time he traded quality like Turris, Hammond and Bowers for quantity like Duchene and.....?

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Yup, like that time he traded quality like Turris, Hammond and Bowers for quantity like Duchene and.....?
You’re right, for that one trade he did give up quantity for quality. Funny thing is that the quantity he gave up were all high quality pieces excluding Hammond. You seem to have conveniently left out some pretty valuable pieces to support your argument.

If you want to convince people that Dorion is a competent NHL gm you shouldn’t be bringing up the Duchene trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawas main problem is it cannot support elite players because they don't have the ownership and management infrastructure to handle any type of ego or salary - Heatkey, Spezza, Alfie, EK, Phaneuf all gone and ended poorly, no need for bad blood, but Ottawa is a thin skinned club.

Dorion's main weakness is when Ottawa is in turmoil (every time Melnyck opens his mouth or a star player wants market value) he can't handle it in the media, he's not afraid to trade and make moves, but his media presence is horrible. Even in the good times he's giggly and goofy and sends shoutouts to his golfing buddies like a 9 year old.

Ottawa's M.O. Since Heatley is to burn the bridge and then tell the fans they need to get on board with this new plan of Sens-brotherhood. Same line they are feeding us now, but it's only 2 years until Chabot has to get paid and 3 for Brady, and the cycle turns over again. The players become the bad guy, the organization blames the player, player leaves - fans are broken hearted, and then Melnyck arrives to tell us we don't get it and in fact there is a master plan we just need to swallow hard and buy more parking, this plan now seems to be backed up by Boro.

Last edited:

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
The EK trade is looking fantastic. If the results were reversed this early in the year PD would already have been buried. So, lets already give him some credit in coming up two instant impact players under horrible circumstances. Plus another previous first rounder playing in college, and a future first and second rounder to come at the very least. Loving the culture shift.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The EK trade is looking fantastic. If the results were reversed this early in the year PD would already have been buried. So, lets already give him some credit in coming up two instant impact players under horrible circumstances. Plus another previous first rounder playing in college, and a future first and second rounder to come at the very least. Loving the culture shift.

getting rid of Hoffman is looking good too. Boedker looks good. he's fast and he works hard. The PP looks better because of the old addition by subtraction scenario.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
They have been much better than expected. PD put together this EK trade and like it or not, it seems to be clicking in our favor. EK had huge huge minutes and by keeping him here, Chabot would not get the ice time, nor Lajoie etc. Demelo has taken this on and most of us had no clue who this kid was. Hate to say it, looks like PD did something good, maybe looked at Vegas and decided to go with that formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->