The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
There are 31 teams with lawyers, chartered accountants, top hockey people, even analytics guys, all competing for scarce resources to try and out do each other to build a winner. And whats more, hockey perhaps more than any of the other major sports requires a bit of luck to build a winner. Saying its easy to build a good team seems to demonstrate a startling lack of respect for how hard this is.

hockey is rife with old boys club and stubborn dinosaur minds. It's a disgusting level of nepotism, which is why Dorion and Chiarelli have jobs.

All the teams who are doing the things I outlined are successful or at the very least competetive. It's not easy being great, but it's easy being competitive.

It's why an expansion team like Vegas can simply build their team around speed, skill and youth, with the cast offs of other teams and immediately be successful.

Reactions: JungleBeat

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The choice with Dzingel this summer in my mind is extend him, or trade him.

If the Senators believe Dzingel can continue to build on what he did this season, they should extend him now because there'll never be an opportunity to get him cheaper.

If they don't believe he'll build on it, they should sell high by trading him while he is overvalued.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Pay star players what they are worth, surround them with cheap skilled players on ELCS and cheap speedy skilled players who haven't had an opportunity to thrive yet. Get rid of the vets who are slow, overpaid, and liabilities on the ice.

Have a robust scouting program that finds talent in the lower pro leagues to replace ones that have outpriced themselves.

It's not ****ing hard to build a good team.

Well I have to disagree with you that it’s not hard to build a good team. Things can go wrong very quickly especially when your room for error is razor thin.

I don’t disagree with your philosophy in general though.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

:laugh::laugh::laugh::help:

How can one be so incompetent at their job?
You could just throw darts at the list and come up with better signings.

Murray was incompetent for nine years, but still kept his job. At least Dorion wasn’t stupid enough to give Michalek 4 million over 3 years.

Then again, he did give Andy and extension and signed Condon to a laughably bad contract.

They both suck.

Reactions: Cosmix

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Some things you should almost never do as a budget team like ours:

• give out multi year, multi million dollar deals to 4th liners, back up goalies and bottom pairing players.
  • trade your first round pick
  • have very public rumours about trading your star players
  • cheap out on core franchise players
  • Have a disastrous farm system
  • Have the owner who keeps the team under a strict budget constantly speaking publicly in a demeaning way about fans
  • Hire coaches who don't want young players and prospects in big roles on the team

I think that about covers it. So, pretty much an F on all fronts for management.

Here's the nice cherry on top of the turd sundae that is the Condon contract: His salary will be going up every year and in the final year he makes 3M. Good luck finding a team who wants a bad backup goalie at 3M. The utter incompetence of Doron is something that is hard to imagine exists.

Dorion learned from Murray. What do you expect?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think 7.5 is a reasonable estimate at what it will take to sign Stone and Duchene. My rationale is recent contracts to guys like Voracek, Kuznetsov, Radulov, and Pavelski. Duchene has had several poor years, 40 great games won't suddenly launch him up into the next tier, though if he holds off and waits till next season and plays well next year, he could go up. But, for arguments sake, lets say it takes 8 mil a piece. Here's my run and making it work with what we have:

2018 Offseason:
Sign Stone, and extend Duchene at 8 mil each for 8 and 7 years respectively.
Extend Karlsson at 11 mil for 8 years
Take Ceci to arbitration, 2 year deal (Can we do that? hoping for under 4 mil, guessing 3.8)
Trade Smith for futures this offseason.

2018-19 lineup:

Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman
Ryan-Brown-Stone
Chlapik-Pageau-White
Pyatt-Paul-Gaborik

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Draft: Add one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Dobson, Wahlstrom or Tkachuk. If it's one of the first two, the jump right into the lineup, pushing Paul or one of Harpur/Wolanin out of the line and things shuffle a bit)

This lineup costs about 71 mil. in real dollars. Probably not competitive unless Dahlin or Svechnikov land in our lap and round things out. If the team commits to going for a playoff spot and is willing to spend a touch more, look for a 1 year UFA option in the 3-5 mil range.

2019 offseason:

Burrows disappears. replace him with a ~.780 ELC like Formenton, or Batherson.
Extend Dzingel @ 4 mil for 3 years.
Extend Pyatt or sign similar UFA at 1.2
Extend White @ 2.3 for 3 years
Wolanin gets a new deal if warranted, estimating around 1.4, otherwise slid an ELC into his spot (Jaros?) or a UFA.

Our 2018 draft pick should be ready regardless who we get, lets assume it's a forward as that's what the odds suggest.

2019-20 Lineup:
Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman
Ryan-Brown-Stone
Svech/Zadina/Wahlstrom-Pageau-White
Formenton-Chlapik--Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Wolanin?-Boro

This lineup costs about 74-75 mil. in real dollars including Gaborik, MacArthur and Phaneuf retention. If we buyout Gaborik it's a bit less.

2020 Offseason:

Hooray, MacArthur is off the books!

Getting to the point were it's hard to predict what happens.
- Extend Hoffman at 6.5 for 5 years, might take more than that.
Hopefully White is ready to take Pageau's role, and we can have traded Pageau for either some nice futures, or help on the backend.
- Extend Brown 3.3 for 3 years bridge deal?
- Extend Chlapik if warranted at 1.8 (Dzingel like deal)
- Extend Chabot @ 4.5 mil for 4 years
- Extend or replace Ceci depending on performance with a 4.5 mil Dman.
- pray that one or both of Gustavsson and Hogberg have worked out, and sign cheap backup if needed.
- Extend or replace Boro with cheap contract (Jaros?)

2020-21 Lineup:

Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman
Svech/Zadina/Wahlstrom -Brown-Stone
Ryan –White- Batherson
Formenton-Chlapik--Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci?
Wolanin/somebody...-Boro/Jaros

This lineup costs around 76 mil, but is relying on extremely inexpensive goaltending thanks to Gustavsson/Hogberg.

2021 offseason:

Hooray, Gaborik and Phaneuf's retention is off the books!

Need new Pyatt like replacement. Estimated cost of 1.5 for 2 years and we have the same roster as the year prior at 72 mil

That's what it will take imo to maintain the roster or close to it. It may stretch the current budget a bit, but if we are willing to pay a bit more, we could add a dman to shore things up and be more competative. If Dahlin is our draft pick, I think it's easier to fill in the forward group. 2022 we have a lot of players to re-sign, and it's projecting too far already to be worthwhile.

Reactions: Sensung and coladin

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
We haven’t heard an idiotic comment from Dorion in awhile, must be a record. He’s definitely feeling the heat right now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We haven’t heard an idiotic comment from Dorion in awhile, must be a record. He’s definitely feeling the heat right now.
We pretty much haven't heard a meaningful comment of substance from the organization since at least the deadline. Total darkness unprecedented compared to years prior.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We pretty much haven't heard a meaningful comment of substance from the organization since at least the deadline. Total darkness unprecedented compared to years prior.

The next public comment I am expecting is that Randy Lee's suspension has been lifted and he has been reinstated as AGM with all his responsibilities... that will come on the heels of him being exonerated from the harassment charges in Buffalo due to insufficient evidence. You know... a feel good moment.

Reactions: Gesus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except a center called him to beg him to put tkatchuk on his line lol.

Reactions: Gesus

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Celine Dorion

KJI4sWN.png
Holy... that is so extremely gross!! lol

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Dorion caught on camera boarding a plane

I know you meant it as a joke.

My stance on people filming strangers experiencing mishaps and posting it on the internet with intentions of thousands making fun of the individual, who could easily be recognized by many, is a questionable way to live their lives.

Rant over.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The choice with Dzingel this summer in my mind is extend him, or trade him.

If the Senators believe Dzingel can continue to build on what he did this season, they should extend him now because there'll never be an opportunity to get him cheaper.

If they don't believe he'll build on it, they should sell high by trading him while he is overvalued.

Been saying this for a while.

I also think if we trade him, we should look into packaging him with Karlsson. Any contending team that is close to the cap should jump at the opportunity to add a sub-2mil 20+ goal guy.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
The next public comment I am expecting is that Randy Lee's suspension has been lifted and he has been reinstated as AGM with all his responsibilities... that will come on the heels of him being exonerated from the harassment charges in Buffalo due to insufficient evidence. You know... a feel good moment.

Hope they reinstate him or hire someone else quick. There’s so much work to be done and Dorian needs help. He’s gotta sign Stone before he hits arbitration, sign or trade Duchene, sign or trade Karlsson. There’s a lot of pressing work to be done and no progress has been made. I wonder which of these things he’s currently working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->